High water at Basel

mountainhouse

Friends boarded the Uniworld Antonette yesterday in Breisach am Rhein (48.025822,7.579681 on his GPS - put these numbers in Google maps to see exact location). Ships are not making it to Basel due to high water. They where picked up in Basel, and bused north (35 miles or so). He said there was a Viking ship there also.

I'm so happy that I finished my cruise last Sunday. We had no water or weather problems. In fact, we only had about 2 hours of rain the entire trip. It's amazing how quickly the water situation can change.

Yes. My fingers are crossed. Flying to Zurich in 22 days. :D

By the way, still rereading your review. Again, thanks for all the info!

I'm so glad that other people enjoyed my posts. I know when I was doing my research, it was difficult to get a real sense of how long we would be in each port, how long we would be sailing between cities, etc. I really tried to give details so that other cruisers would have some idea.

Friends boarded the Uniworld Antonette yesterday in Breisach am Rhein (48.025822,7.579681 on his GPS - put these numbers in Google maps to see exact location). Ships are not making it to Basel due to high water. They where picked up in Basel, and bused north (35 miles or so). He said there was a Viking ship there also.

any news on Basel rhine river level?

Friend of mine on the Antonette sent me a note 20 minutes ago that the "Rhine is now closed to traffic from Basel to Strasbourg. It is still open from Speyer down stream." I found a webcam, but I don't know what's considered "high".

http://www.webcam-basel.ch/de/live.jsp

Some additional info:

http://worldradio.ch/wrs/news/wrsnews/soggy-week-in-switzerland.shtml?31096

Strange. I considered watching the webcam a while and seeing if anything goes by. :)

Added later...

I finally found some info.... The Port of Basel's site is only in German, so this is using Google to translate....

Link to translation

I hope that translation link works. If not....

Link to German site

Based on the translation the maximum navigable water level at "BASEL-RHEINHALLE" is 790 cm. Today's level at 13:06:12 CET is 801 cm.

Wow. Looking at the chart more closely, the levels vary a lot. Odd that my friend said Uniworld Antonette couldn't leave from Basel on Sunday, since the numbers on the website don't look at high. Maybe this is something to ask the crew about in a few weeks.

Link to Rhine levels (multiple cities)

Archived