Where to stay in FT Lauderdale....

afrazier319

My family and I will be flying in from Austin to Ft Lauderdale and wanted to know of some places that would be great for us. Our daughter will be 4. We are having to come in a day early due to price of flight are much cheeper than coming in the day of the cruise. Will also be staying over night the day we get back.

Also would like to find one that offers airport shuttle. We currently have the transfers right now fro m the cruise line but going to be dropping those soon.

DO you have any recommendations on where we should stay. I would like close to the beach but not sure if we can do that.

Go on over to the North American Home ports/ Florida departures board. :) Here you will find tons of info and many folks that will guide you to the hotel that will suit your needs. Here is the link..but you will find it yourself on the opening page in the future. If you start a thread there, you'll find more replies too.

Put in the exact dates you are looking at. That also helps us give you budget numbers.;) Just a bit of info here...the only hotels that run free shuttles from the airport are those nearer the airport. Not the beach or downtown hotels. Since there are 3 of you don't use shuttles or transfers. Use cabs and save money as it is a ride rate, not per person. Ft.L is easy to get around and you won't pay more than $20 going to or from most areas.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=495

The Hyatt Regency Pier 66 is a good locale. With a 4 year-old you can get a garden room, and be near the pool for the child. Also, you can catch the water taxi from their pier and tour the area or take it to the beach, to downtown, or where ever.

Also, we have stayed not only there but at the Hilton across from Port Everglades getting a room to watch the ships. We also have stayed at Embassy Suites, which is also a handy location.

All three have access to the water taxi with the Hilton & Hyatt having the easiest access.

There is a shuttle to each of the hotels from the airport, and the hotels then each have transportation to the ship.

Love to stay in Ft. Lauderdale.

My pick is always the Embassy Suites on 17th Street. Mall with restaurants behind the hotel, free breakfast, shuttle service to the airport and to cruise port, coi pond runs through the hotel and its grounds. The swimming pool is very nice also.

If you want to go cheap, the Comfort Inn is about 15 min from both airport and cruise port, and offerred free pickup/drop off to/from both ports. Also included free breakfast for less than $100 night. Not luxurious, but clean and very reasonable. You can rent a car there, or catch a bus across the street to get downtown for $2 (45-50 min ride, though).

If you want to go cheap, the Comfort Inn is about 15 min from both airport and cruise port, and offerred free pickup/drop off to/from both ports. Also included free breakfast for less than $100 night. Not luxurious, but clean and very reasonable. You can rent a car there, or catch a bus across the street to get downtown for $2 (45-50 min ride, though).

We have stayed at the Comfort Inn airport and their shuttle picked us up at the airport and again the next morning took us to the ship. Free breakfast was good, clean rooms and a nice area around a rather large pool. My brother and sister-in-law have stayed at the Embassy Suites closer to the port and said that was nice also. Price is more, but it depends on what and where you want to be.

We stayed at the Best Western Airport Inn & Suites at 1900 Sterling Rd. in Daria. It was great..offering free breakfast and transportation from the airport. They will arrange transportation to the ship too. I don't remember how much that cost though.

If price is a consideration and you don't want a particular hotel, there's always Priceline. If you've never used it, go to biddingfortravel.com and do some research. On my recent SoCal trip, I saved 40% to 50% off rack rates, even including the Priceline fee, and have often saved more.

One thing you might consider if you want freedom of movement to do sightseeing is to rent a car for the day. Sixt Car Rental, an old European firm just starting to do business in the USA, has bargain rates, friendly service, and locations at the airport and right by the piers (which aren't so far apart to start with). Pick up the car at FLL, drive to your hotel (and if you use Priceline, try for a star level that doesn't charge for parking), drop the car at the Port Everglades office, take Sixt's free shuttle to the ship, and there you are.

Sleep Inn in Dania has a shuttle to the airport and cruise port and is reasonable. Not fancy at all, but it's a newer hotel with pool, breakfast, and is clean. Not in the center of the action, but there is a strip mall across the street with a supermarket, Italian restaurant, and Mexican restaurant/bar. Walgreens next door. I walked to the beach from there, but it's not close. I'd guess it's a mile down the road.

None of the hotels mentioned are near the beach. They are "airport" hotels. Again, if you base your stay on free shuttles you are limited to those hotels away from the beach and waterways. It all depends on your budget for the date you need. The Bahia Mar is beach located and usually the most moderately priced. Also Sheraton is often found on hotwire at a good price. Another good beach hotel for you.

Archived