Darwin WWII Memorial Visit

jmps

I am planning a trip that will either include a day off a cruise in Darwin or a stay in Darwin prior to a cruise. I want to visit a WWII Memorial site on the Cox Pennisula. The site is the crash of a B-24 "MiLady". My Dad was gunner on this plane prior to its crash. I understand it is a short ferry ride across from Darwin. I know there is a town at the ferry.

I am also interested in visiting the WWII airfields south of Darwin but not sure how the logistics would work for that either.

Does anyone have any pointers to a guide or way to visit the site via the ferry? The site is off a dirt road so any info on 4x4 rental would be great.

Thanks for any help!

John

I can't be of any help regarding the WWII Memorial Site, but there are some other places that you might like to visit if you have a couple of days in Darwin before your cruise.

Adelaide River Cemetery has gravesites for many Australian servicemembers and for civilians that were killed in the bombing of Darwin. When we visited, the staff were quite friendly and seemed to be touched that we Americans would visit their cemetery.

Fenton Airfield is well worth a visit because there are still some remnants of the airfield there. Check the Fenton Airfield Facebook page for directions and a map. As I recall, it wasn't that easy to find.

Also, you will see lots of signs for WWII airfields if you drive south along the Stuart Highway from Darwin. Mostly, there is just an old runway still there. Fenton Airfield had the most remnants of the places we found.

I am planning a trip that will either include a day off a cruise in Darwin or a stay in Darwin prior to a cruise. I want to visit a WWII Memorial site on the Cox Pennisula. The site is the crash of a B-24 "MiLady". My Dad was gunner on this plane prior to its crash. I understand it is a short ferry ride across from Darwin. I know there is a town at the ferry.

I am also interested in visiting the WWII airfields south of Darwin but not sure how the logistics would work for that either.

Does anyone have any pointers to a guide or way to visit the site via the ferry? The site is off a dirt road so any info on 4x4 rental would be great.

Thanks for any help!

John

Yes, it is a short 15 min ferry ride across to Mandorah. The ferry leaves from Cullen Bay, and by memory, goes approx every 2 hrs. Not much at Mandorah, a good pub for a great meal, a beach and a small settlement further around. I don't remember any transport options from Mandorah or Wagait Beach area, but may be wrong. Prob the best way for you is to hire a car on arrival, and head out past Berry Springs to the site. Plenty of hire car places around, head down Mitchell Street as far as the Entertainment Centre (can't miss) and cheap. Very easy place to drive, not much traffic except out on the highway at certain times.

Also, the NT Govt Library site has lots of pics and info on this WW11 Cox Peninsula area.

Not much help, but some ideas anyway.

Jen

• 4 weeks later...
Thanks Jen! How long would it take to drive around the bay? Is it possible to do this in a day trip?

The drive will take just under 2 hrs each way. From Darwin, head south on the Stuart Highway, which is a multi lane and divided highway. Turn off right at the Berry Springs turnoff, go through Berry Springs (nice there) and keep following the road to Mandorah. Suggest you do not do this drive if there has been recent big rains, ie cyclonic rains. Ask at the hire car place, they will know. The wet season is during our summer, but only a few times when roads are closed/flooded. Access to Kakadu, which is left off the highway, can be horrible during these times. Non locals can be stuck for days. Hence, just ask. I noticed on the radio/tv stations there were usually a couple of days pre notice re possible road flooding. You have a 99% chance it will be dry enough. If you are going during winter, dry season, then no probs at all. The drive will give you an idea of our 'outback'.

An idea....if you go to google maps, on the left where 'directions' is listed, type in Darwin and Mandorah.....this will give you a better understanding of the distance by road. Not much at Mandorah....a pub for meals, nice beach (remember the crocs, do not swim or walk near water anywhere...again watch the locals).

Hope this helps a bit. I love Darwin, am sure you will too.

Jen

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks again everyone. I will email the hotel. We for sure want to visit Fenton. My Dad flew from Fenton and Long Field. We will most likely rent a car in Darwin and drive over to Mendorah and then to Litchfield and down to Fenton.

Is a 4WD recommended? It will be in May so the roads should be good. It looks like only the final 1KM to the crash site and around Fenton would require off pavement. It looks like, for Litchfield we can see alot on pavement (the falls) from pavement.

You should be fine with a sedan in Litchfield, even in May, as the main tourist sites are off paved roads.

However, I'm not so sure about Fenton Airfield. We visited in the month of August (in the midst of the Dry) a few years ago. The road was rough through the site and it was particularly rutted getting over from the highway. I was very concerned since we were in a sedan, but my husband very slowly and carefully got us through the rough spots. I'm not sure I'd want to do this in a sedan in May which is at the end of the Wet.

Yes, I would go for the 4wd, if cost is not a factor. Also, on the main highway, be aware of our road trains. They are semi-trailer trucks, but they are long, hence the nick name 'road train'. Make sure these road trains have totally gone passed you (if they are overtaking you) as they have more sections added than the normal semi. Simply something to note, as the driving will be easy for you in the NT.

In May, you may get some rain, or if the 'dry' is early, possible rain around the 4pm mark....torrential for a half hr, then it stops. Weird!

Re Litchfield....lots to see there. We used to go down for the day, but you can spend so much more time there ie quite a big area to cover.

You are going to love this part of Oz....best wishes for your travels.

Jen

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for any help!

John

Hi John,

When my partner and I were cruising the Northern Territory in our 4X4 a while back along the Explorers Way road we rented a 4X4 from Britz. The Land Cruiser was in good condition and they provided maps.

Thanks. Right now I have an SUV reserved with Budget. We don't plan on going off the paved roads in Litchfield. With the higher clearance it should be good enough to visit the crash site and Fenton Field. I wil check out Britz to see if that would be better.

Thanks for any help!

John

Hi John

I just happened to be looking at what was being said about Darwin and spotted your mention of a B-24 Liberator with Milady as the nose art. I work in the NT Library in Parliament House and digitise photographs. I remembered that I have seen this nose art in our collection, http://www.territorystories.nt.gov.au/handle/10070/27997

Another place you should visit while in Darwin is the new Defence of Darwin Experience. As you have the connection with the Territory I would also suggest you visit the NT Library, we have some extremely knowledgeable staff who have done a lot of research on the American involvement in WW2. http://www.ntl.nt.gov.au

Also http://www.tourism.nt.gov.au is a great site to get info on the area.

Gaynor

Thanks so much Gaynor. The library sounds very nice, I have been looking thru my Dad's pictures. He took a lot of nose art pictures. There are also some pictures of buildings I believe are in Darwin. It would be neat to find them. I will look at all the points you gave. I haven't seen the crew pictur linked via your site. Perhaps my Dad knew those men.

I do really feel a connection to the area since I was a child. It will be great to visit and see with our girls what their grandfather experienced.

You are welcome John. When are you intending to visit? Gaynor

We will arrive late on 5/21/13 and leave early AM 5/25. We will first head to the Milady crash site and Fenton/Long Fields on 5/22. We will then stay in Batchelor for two nights. We plan on being in Darwin all day 5/24.

Hi John

I just happened to be looking at what was being said about Darwin and spotted your mention of a B-24 Liberator with Milady as the nose art. I work in the NT Library in Parliament House and digitise photographs. I remembered that I have seen this nose art in our collection, http://www.territorystories.nt.gov.au/handle/10070/27997

Another place you should visit while in Darwin is the new Defence of Darwin Experience. As you have the connection with the Territory I would also suggest you visit the NT Library, we have some extremely knowledgeable staff who have done a lot of research on the American involvement in WW2. http://www.ntl.nt.gov.au

Also http://www.tourism.nt.gov.au is a great site to get info on the area.

Gaynor

I just noticed this post as I am trying to work out transportation from the cruise ship/ port to see the Defense of Darwin. While we spent 4 weeks traveling through Sydney, Tasmania, Kangaroo Island, Great Ocean Road and Cairns our last trip we could not fit Darwin in. Unfortunately this time we only have a cruise stop.

I cannot seem to figure out where this is and what transporation we can get. We are fine hiring a driver or a taxi if they will be available.

Thank You

Karen

The Defense of Darwin website has information on how to get there. It is located at East Point, which is approximately 6 miles from the center of Darwin. (I'm not sure where the cruise boats dock, but it's probably not too far from the CBD.)

As you can see from the following info, you can take public transportation, but a taxi would probably work better for you.

http://www.defenceofdarwin.nt.gov.au/index.php?id=29

The Defense of Darwin website has information on how to get there. It is located at East Point, which is approximately 6 miles from the center of Darwin. (I'm not sure where the cruise boats dock, but it's probably not too far from the CBD.)

As you can see from the following info, you can take public transportation, but a taxi would probably work better for you.

http://www.defenceofdarwin.nt.gov.au/index.php?id=29

Thank you....I looked at the website before posting but could not tell from the map they had. Taxi's will be fine. I will check with them to ensure we can call for a taxi to bring us back.

Karen

Archived