Disney Parks Excursion questions -

NCL has the Disney Parks Package for $108 for child, or $40 for transfer only.

The Disney all day ticket direct from the mouse is $48.

To buy from NCL the all day ticket comes to $68.

Are my calculations correct. Can I do better just getting local cab from on my own? How much would private transportation be to the park?

----------------

Also, I don't intend to go on any rides--will just watch the kiddies. Is there any "chaperone" ticket option?? Just a thought.

Thanks.

Dishealth,

You might be able to rent a car cheaper that the transportation portion of your trip. Of course, you have to factor in the hastle. I don't know where you came up with $48 for a day at Disney. With taxes it is about $60 or more.

There is no chaperone only ticket. All over 9 pay the same price.

Hope this helps.

Jeanne

If your going with a large group you can also look into the mears shuttle. I did that but since it's only me and one other person I'd be losing money. I have the Universal IOA tickets through NCL. This way I don't have to worry about driving or missing the boat or anything.

We've done the Disney Shuttle as well as a car rental. We preferred the car, as they met us coming off the ship, it was about a 10 min. drive to the rental facility, where we were on the road in about 5 minutes. The key here is you must be comfortable with the driving, won't get lost, and will not get stressed out thinking about getting back on time. You must not only allow for the one hour or so drive back, but dropping off the car. The important factors are when the agency closes up for the evening, and when the shuttle makes its' last run. They do give you a list of taxi companys that apparently are familiar with the ship schedule and are waiting for customers to return. We made it back for the final run, so we didn't need the cabs. There are a few rental agencies in the same relative location.

The issues with the bus include the importance of trying to make the first bus. To do this you will need to get in line to be among the first to leave the ship. The busses are first come first served, so if you make the first bus, it will fill up fast, and off you go. The bus will have some additional overhead in time, the above mentioned in the morning, and then again on the return, they set a time span where they encourage you to return early to make sure you make it. In June 2003 they noted the one way cab fare to Port Canaveral was $80.

We had a little bus problem on our return trip, so we got back just before it was time to depart for Miami. We were on the elevator with two young guys who had just talked to their friends who had rented a car and were lost, and had no idea where they were. Just before pulling away, they announced the names of two men, so we assumed they did not make it. Of course they did have a rental car, and could drive to Miami, so it could have been worse.

One advantage of the bus and admission ticket may be that avoid the process of purchasing a ticket, unless they give you a one day voucher.

We sailed on the Dawn last month and took the NCL transfer only option. But the cost to get into Disney is more like the USD60 figure than what you were quoting. I decided against hiring a car for all the reasons others have mentioned plus the fact that you don't have to pay parking and you get dropped off just outside the main entrance (instead of having to take a shuttle from a car park in the middle of nowhere). At least on transport arranged by NCL, they are going to think twice about setting sail if a whole busload of passengers get delayed for some reason. The traffic in Orlando can be a nightmare too.

As has been suggested, if you take the NCL transport, get down to the disembarkation area early. You want to be on the first bus or two. Unfortunately for us, we got onto the first bus but ended up waiting half an hour until it got full. But the transfer was definitely 'no hassle' and you do save a few dollars doing it this way - compared to the NCL Disney entrance + lunch voucher + transport price. One positive thing about arriving mid-morning (after the hour's bus transfer) is that the ticket sales desk at Disney isn't busy by then.

Hope you have as much fun as we did!

You didn't say what time of year you will be traveling. The traffic in the Orlando area can be really heavy. Under normal conditions, It should take about an hour from the ship to the Park. You have to be back at your bus at a specified time. But once on the bus, even if the bus gets stuck in traffic and is late getting back, the ship will wait. Not so on your own. To me it was worth a couple of extra $$ for the piece of mind. Also if you are traveling at a busy time of year such as summer, splurge and pay extra for the "front of the line access". This way you will at least get to see most of one park. Lines for Space Mountain and Splash Mountain routinely can be an hour wait.

We have also contemplated doing the transfer only (6/12 sailing of Dawn) and buying the tickets through Disney (it'll save us about $50 total - 4 ppl), but then we have to figure we'll spend close to that for lunch (which is included in the NDL Disney excursion). One question though: my DD is 2 and will sit on my lap for the bus transfer. Will we have to pay the $40 for her if she doesn't take up a seat?

I might be wrong, but I don't think Disney has a "front of the line option" that you can pay for. I think only Universal has that. Disney does have fast pass that you can use for 1 ride at a time. Not all rides have it. You go to the ride, put your park ticket in a machine and a ticket will come out and tell you when to return to ride using the fast lane. If you try to get another ticket from that time until the lastest time on your new stub, you wont be able to use it.

If you have any questions let me know.

Jeanne

Archived