A Question of Corkage

writer100

My companion--She Who Must Ne Obeyed--and I are looking forward with eager anticipation to our first Oceania experience, the Riviera sailing on January 13th. Our previous cruises--one Regent, four Seabourn--were alcohol inclusive. We understand the package options on O, but have a question concerning corkage. Does the $20 fee apply to each night you drink from your own bottle, or is it a one time per bottle charge? Neither of us imbibes heavily, so it is quite possible for us to consume only half a bottle at dinner. Also, I assume that if one does only consume half a bottle in, say, the mdr, and the next night you have reservations in one of the reservation-only restaurants, if you advise that restaurant in advance, the bottle from the previous night will find you again? The informality and general gregariousness of O is really quite appealing, although we are a just a tad apprehensive about sailing on such a big ship--nearly 3x the largest of the Seabourns, which carry a "mere" 450 pax.

My companion--She Who Must Ne Obeyed--and I are looking forward with eager anticipation to our first Oceania experience, the Riviera sailing on January 13th. Our previous cruises--one Regent, four Seabourn--were alcohol inclusive. We understand the package options on O, but have a question concerning corkage. Does the $20 fee apply to each night you drink from your own bottle, or is it a one time per bottle charge? Neither of us imbibes heavily, so it is quite possible for us to consume only half a bottle at dinner. Also, I assume that if one does only consume half a bottle in, say, the mdr, and the next night you have reservations in one of the reservation-only restaurants, if you advise that restaurant in advance, the bottle from the previous night will find you again? The informality and general gregariousness of O is really quite appealing, although we are a just a tad apprehensive about sailing on such a big ship--nearly 3x the largest of the Seabourns, which carry a "mere" 450 pax.

One time corkage fee and the bottle will "follow " you around to any of the dining venues. You just tell the sommelier your cabin number and they will retrieve your bottle for you.

One time corkage fee and the bottle will "follow " you around to any of the dining venues. You just tell the sommelier your cabin number and they will retrieve your bottle for you.

Well said, Deb, but I can't picture your knowing that much about wines and spirits........:rolleyes:

No need to let them know where you will be dining. The sommeliers check the specialty restaurant reservations for that night against the bottles they have stored. If they find a reservation with a cabin # that matches that for a stored bottle (or more) that bottle it will be transfered to the wine storage 'cellar' nearest that venue. No matter where you dine just tell the sommelier you have a bottle stored and it will be seemlessly retrieved. We often have a red & a white open at the same time and they follow us around the ship. It is a very good service.

• 2 weeks later...

We are soon to go on our first Oceania cruise on the Riviera. The corkage fee issue surprises me. Would I be misunderstanding that if you choose a bottle of wine to drink with dinner, that you pay the listed price of that and in addition, a corkage fee?

On past voyages, with other lines, the price of the wine purchased from the ship has been all inclusive.

So am I assuming wrongly that a corkage fee would relate to all bottles of wine consumed whether or not procured on board/

We are soon to go on our first Oceania cruise on the Riviera. The corkage fee issue surprises me. Would I be misunderstanding that if you choose a bottle of wine to drink with dinner, that you pay the listed price of that and in addition, a corkage fee?

On past voyages, with other lines, the price of the wine purchased from the ship has been all inclusive.

So am I assuming wrongly that a corkage fee would relate to all bottles of wine consumed whether or not procured on board/

Welcome to Cruise Critic and your first Oceania cruise. If you haven't checked it out, find your cruise in the Roll Call section of these boards and meet up with others on the same sailing.

Yes, you are making an incorrect assumption. The corkage fee is for wine purchased off ship and brought to one of the dining rooms for consumption. The fee is charged once for each bottle opened. The corkage fee includes gratuity.

There is no corkage fee for all wine purchased on board, i.e. in a dining room or through a wine sale or package promotion. In this case a gratuity is added to the price of the wine.

There is no corkage for a bottle of wine given as a Bon Voyage gift or perhaps a 'welcome' bottle of champagne given to to some suites.

An unfinished bottle will always be happily stored and served at another time and there is no additional corkage fee for that bottle or the additional service.

The Corkage fee that is being spoken of here, applies only to wines which were not purchased on the ship.

Oceania has a very liberal policy regarding passengers bringing Wine, beer and liquor onto the ship, but ONLY FOR CONSUMPTION IN THE PRIVACY OF ONES' CABIN.

Outside Wine(s) may be served in the Dining Rooms and/or Restaurants if that is your preference, but a corkage fee will be assessed, as in any good restaurant ashore.

Hope this helped-

Enjoy your cruise!

Archived