wine dinners

On my Jewel cruise there are two wine dinners offered, one in Portofino and one in Chops. Has anyone experienced either? Are they worth it or is it better just to eat from the regular menu at either speciality restaurant??

We've done them in both restaurants on different ships and enjoyed each one. Haven't been on the Jewel, so can't speak to that experience. The first one we did was in Chops and we were the only couple who participated. Our waiter was dedicated just to us so we received great service. The menu they use for these special pairing dinners is different than what you'd get off of their standard menus. The food has always been marvelous and we've learned so much about the wines and why they were selected to accompany the different food courses. If you enjoy great food and wine, go for it.

We did the Portofino wine series dinner on FOS and it was pretty amazing. We found it to be well worth the money. There were four couples and the service was exceptional.

If you like wine, I'd totally say yes.

We've done it a few times, and weaseled the service once on a shortened Serenade cruise. We very much enjoy that kind of meal- if they offer it at Chops in a couple of weeks, I'm sure we will do that choice.

We've also don the Chef's Table on Allure- lots of fun.

It *seems* as if chefs enjoy going out of the norm every once in a while- (on a tanget) even to the point that I suspect that the MDR chefs enjoy doing unique dishes for food allergies. Next time, we are going to ask to meet the chef for our wine dinner.

• 4 months later...

I just signed up for the Portofino Wine Dinner on my upcoming Liberty cruise and am wondering if they seat everyone who signed up for the special wine dinner at the same table. They did this for the Chef's Dinner aboard Oasis where there were 14 of us at one table and it was great fun meeting fellow passengers and hearing their inputs about the wine pairings.

I just signed up for the Portofino Wine Dinner on my upcoming Liberty cruise and am wondering if they seat everyone who signed up for the special wine dinner at the same table. They did this for the Chef's Dinner aboard Oasis where there were 14 of us at one table and it was great fun meeting fellow passengers and hearing their inputs about the wine pairings.

Tough to say. When we did it on Freedom, all four couples were seated at tables for two, but the tables were close together so we could all speak with each other.

Archived