1st timer w/questions - short cruise

Szaftoo

I have read all of the 1st time posts and replies and have gotten a lot of help. I already have 20 pages of notes. Because this is our 1st, we booked it for four days. If we enjoy it we will do it longer next time. Do all of your suggestions still apply for short cruises? Here are my questions:

1. What about the formal dinner? Is it required or something we would really enjoy? How formal is the dress?

2. On shorter cruises do most people stay on the ship or get off?

3. We have heard it is better to have a day at sea? Why is that and does it really matter?

4. Are there enough activities for a 17 and 19 year old. They are too old for the kid things and not old eough for the adult things.

5. A question from my 17 year old son . . . can you really eat all you want anytime you want? How does that work?

Thanks for your help.

1. Formal night is different on each line. Most offer casual alternatives if you don't want to dress up. We enjoy dressing up since we live a very casual lifestyle and don't dress up at home. You will see everything from tuxedos and formals to dark suits and cocktail dresses.

2. I can't answer this one.

3. Sea days are our favorite days. There are plenty of activities but you can also just veg out by the pool or on deck.

4. Most ships have a teen program but they are old enough to participate in the trivia games and such. I think they will have a great time.

5. There is food available throughout the day starting with pastries and juice on the deck, then moving to breakfast, then lunch, then an afternoon snack time, then dinner. The hamburger/hotdog/pizza place is also available and there is 24 hour room service. I don't think he will go hungry.

7_12_6.gif..........for the 17 year old, yes all you care/want/need to eat, you just point and grunt!.....:D Seriously, it depends on the cruiseline, they are a little different. However, all the food service will either be sit-down and order off menu or buffet style or speciality grills with pizza, hot dogs, burgers, fries etc. There are different times for different things, keep in mind there is a charge for soda/pop.

#2, I guess you are asking about port calls? Never been on shorter than 7 days but don't think it makes much difference. When in port most all get off the ship, that's when we stay on!.....................:D

Usually, there is one formal night on the short cruise (Captain;s Gala/meet crew). This is usually the day after you leave port for Dinner. Usually, there is free drinks offered here.

People get off at ports of call to do things there but some stay on and enjoy the ship. Sometimes there is not much to do but lay in the sun as most are off ship but it is a great time to have a spa appointment (cheaper too).

Days at sea are used to relax, watch the sun rise/set. Enjoy the ship's games, spa, shows and pools.

The 19 year old is to old for the Teen Center but the younger one might meet others his age. Both can participate in contest, pool games ect.

Depends on the ship but most have a buffet, pizza, hamburg/hot dog area and the Main Dining Room as well as Room Service (don;t forget to tip for this).

It would help to know which ship or cruiseline...I will answer about Carnival.

QUOTE=Szaftoo]:

1. What about the formal dinner? Is it required or something we would really enjoy? How formal is the dress?

Certainly not required, but it's very nice, and I always look forward to formal night in the dining room. Lobster tails, prime rib...yum.

Dress code will be published in the Capers for each evening. Formal night is 'formal'....some men wear tux, some dark suits, and others opt for sports jacket and tie. (It's rare to see anyone dressed in just a shirt and dress pants, but you will see some).....:rolleyes: Ladies wear anything from floor-length full sequined gowns to cocktail dresses to 'church dresses'. I wear "the little black dress" and it's very appropriate.

I usually take five-night cruises. I've been to the same ports several times, so last cruise I stayed on the ship at Calica/Playa del Carmen. Really enjoyed my quiet time on deck with few people on board. However, MOST everybody does go into port.

3. We have heard it is better to have a day at sea? Why is that and does it really matter?

Days at sea are wonderfully relaxing. A good book, nice quiet deck away from the main pool, adult beverage in hand, sea air, sun - ahhhhhh!

4. Are there enough activities for a 17 and 19 year old. They are too old for the kid things and not old eough for the adult things.

Can't help you much here, but there are daily activities listed for teens in the Capers.

5. A question from my 17 year old son . . . can you really eat all you want anytime you want? How does that work?

:D Oh wow! Is he gonna be happy-happy! Besides the three meals each day in the dining room or in Lido buffet area - 24 hour pizzeria, 24 hour ice cream and yogurt machines - 24 hour room service - midnight buffet.......He will not believe how much food is available!

1. The formal dinner is a wonderful experience. I can't answer for you, it depends on how much you enjoy getting dressed up and going to dinner. The dress code usually states formal, but you will see everything from Sunday best to ballgowns and tux. If this doesn't appeal to you at all, there is always the buffet and room service.

2. That depends on where the ship is going and if you have been there before. If you haven't been into the port, by all means go and explore. We go on a local cruise (West Coast) and never get off in Ensenada, we enjoy the empty ship all day.

3. Look at #2 again. On the West Coast itinerary, I definitely do not prefer a sea day, the Pacific is almost always cool and overcast. If in the Caribbean or Bahamas, it would be lovely.

4. There is a lot to do, it's all up to them.

5. You can never go hungry on a cruise ship. There is something available all the time.

I don't know if you have settled on a ship and itinerary yet, once you do, go to that cruise line board. There are pluses and minuses for every ship and itinerary. It's great that you have this board to explore, when we first started cruising, I had only my TA to rely on for information.

Have a wonderful cruise!

I am blown away by all the help and suggestions. You all know more than my travel agent.

We are on the Royal Caribbean Monarch of the Seas in August. It hits Catalina, San Diego and Ensenada.

Now for my husband's questions:

1. Is it better to pre-pay for tips or pay on the ship? If you pre-pay, how does the staff know and would it affect their service? Do you ever pre-pay and still tip?

2. Some of you seasoned travelers quote around $100 per day per person in extra money. We are assuming the majority of that is money spent in port. Right?

3. It was recommended you pay with a debit card to avoid having to pay the purser to settle your account? What do you think?

4. Do I need to worry about sea sickness?

5. Don't laugh . . . what are those numbers at the bottom of your posts that look like the temperture?

The staff will know if you have pre-paid your tips, perhaps not until the last night, but they will know. You can tip more if you want to, we have before when we have received excellent service.

$100 per day per person is generous, but it all depends on how much you drink, if you buy photos and if you go on pricey excursions.

A debit card is not the best way to go, primarily because it is limited to your daily cash allowance. We like to keep within a budget for cruises, not being cheap, but more realistic. When a credit card is used, it is much easier to go over budget. What we do is this, open the onboard account with a credit card for ease. We then visit the pursers desk the night before the cruise ends, paying our account off with cash or travellers checks.

We have been on Monarch twice and the Carnival (Ecstacy) once on this itinerary. We enjoyed Monarch much more because of the itinerary and the ship itself is nicer. Carnival now has a newer ship on this run, but we probably will not sail on it and will stick to RCI Monarch. The San Diego stop is marvelous, our favorite and Carnival does not stop there. There is so much to do in San Diego, the Trolley Tour stops at the port and it is a great way to touch upon much of what San Diego has to offer. Catalina is a jewel, very pretty. We have always rented golf carts to go up to the top of the hill for the views. They do have quite a few excursions to choose from. We have never gotten off in Ensenada, just don't care to. However, we do have another Monarch cruise booked for Thanksgiving weekend and may take the wine tour this time.

As far as rough water, it just depends on the Pacific Ocean. We have sailed this itinerary twice in August, once we had to go up on deck to see if the ship was really moving. Another time in August, the northbound trip was a little rough and the weather was pretty cool. Our one December cruise, we hit a storm while heading north and had to hold on to stay in bed. Just take along your seasick med of choice, then don't worry about it until you may need it.

The numbers you are seeing are countdown clocks, many people like to have them. I've never bothered, but it would be fun to see, as I have 3 little cruises coming up in the next year.

There are no silly questions, just some people who answer in a condescending tone. So ask anything you want, most of us here are happy to help.

A debit card is not the best way to go, primarily because it is limited to your daily cash allowance.

That's not always the case. My debit card has no restrictions or limit, daily or otherwise. Some do, some don't.:) I don't even own a credit card anymore. I use a debit card for everything. I book my cruise with it, they 'swipe' it just prior to boarding, and I don't ever think about it again. No trips to the purser's desk. To ME, it's the only way to go.

Yes, Cotton, sometimes that works, but not for all debit cards. I would not really want to leave the country with only a debit card in my possesion, if there is an emergency, debit cards are not always accepted. Each person has to investigate the daily limits put on their card and if it can be used the same as a credit card, like yours.

I have used my debit card for a few cruises.. Please make sure you go the the bank at least a few weeks before and see that all limits are taken off. This is where the problems happen...the daily ilimit is below what was spent on the ship.

I dont have a credit card--no even one for emergenices so the debit card has to work for me.

My 1st cruise was a short one too. I wanted to make sure I liked cruising, would have enough to do & not feel crowded.

It's not required but there is a suggested dress code for the evening in the dining rooms. If you want to skip it you can eat at the buffet. It might be fun. If you're all together you can get a family portrait taken.

It depends on the ports. I've never sailed on the Monarch but I suspect many Californians have been to many of these ports & don't feel compelled to go again. I know NYers don't get off much on the NCL Dawn's regular route which has many stops in Fla.

If you stay on the ship in port, it will be less crowded.

Personally I HATE sea days. I feel trapped & like I can't get away from all the people & the noise. Others will tell you they are very relaxing & the best part about the trip.

On RCCL there are lots of sports & games. Get them involved in an on-board program to meet people their own age. There are shows & movies, rock climbing, basketball, driving range, lectures etc. There's a library with books & board games. They will find something to do. In port there are even more options.

24/7, although from about 4 am to 5 am you may be limited to room service.

There are 2 main free sit down dining rooms. Both are open for dinner & you will assigned a dinner time & a table. At least one is open for breakfast & lunch, walk in, you'll be seated & served. There's a buffet somewhere near the pool that has long hours for 4 meals: breakfast, lunch, afternoon snack & dinner. Grab whatever when ever. Even when the buffet is closed to transistion to the next meal, you can still usually get a piece of fruit or a cookie. There will be a soft serve ice cream dispenser somewhere. There will be a deli or prizzaria. If that's not enough, there will be premium pay places you can buy more food.

1. Is it better to pre-pay for tips or pay on the ship? If you pre-pay, how does the staff know and would it affect their service? Do you ever pre-pay and still tip?

It's entirely up to you. On my 1st cruise, we paid in cash at the end. I found it very inconvenient to have all that much cash & have to parce it out into envelopes. We did tip the cabin steward a bit in advance & our favorite bartender / waitress. TIPS is an acronym: to insure prompt service.

2. Some of you seasoned travelers quote around $100 per day per person in extra money. We are assuming the majority of that is money spent in port. Right?

Wrong. That figure includes everything: tips, drinks, photos, excursions, souveniers & spa treatments. If you have expensive tastes the number will go up. If you don't drink much, avoid the spa & book cheaper excursions, the average may be less.

3. It was recommended you pay with a debit card to avoid having to pay the purser to settle your account? What do you think?

Recommend you pay with a credit card or at least find out what your daily limit is on your debit card. I can only charge $600 per day on mine. If the cruise hold yours charges to the last day (using the $100 / day average above) that's $1600 ($400 * 4 people). It wouldn't go through on my debit card because the bank would think it's one day's charges not 4 .

4. Do I need to worry about sea sickness?

You will feel the ship move. They have stabalizers but the channel can be rough. The worst "cruise" I ever experienced was on a much smaller vessel sailing from LA to Catalina. The crew was getting sick. Pack a non-drowsy dramine or bonine & take it as a precaution. It will prevent sea sickness b/c once you get sick not much will help later.

5. Don't laugh . . . what are those numbers at the bottom of your posts that look like the temperture?

countdown clocks to the poster's next trip.

Enjoy & happy sailing!

Archived