Seattle 6-24 Parade in downtown

Dan G

Just a fyi if your cruising on sunday in or out of Seattle be aware that its the annual Pride Parade which will go right down 4th ave all the way to the Space Needle. It will disrupt traffic which normally cuts down Denney or adjoining streets to get to the Pier. If your forewarned the better. From Cruises its not so bad as most cabs would take hwy 99 to the airport anyway, but if your coming from downtown allow extra time. For this reason a shuttle or flate rate cab or towncar would be better so you don't incur a lot of waiting time if stuck in traffic.

One more heads up. I flew out of Seatac today (sunday) and the lines at security would have taken a minumum of 25 minutes to go thru at 7:15 so do allow more time as the security lanes can be slow.

Okay, Seattle experts, I would appreciate your help with driving directions…

We will be driving to Pier 66 on Sunday and parking at the Bell Street Pier garage on Wall Street. We would like to avoid the traffic congestion resulting from the finish of the Pride parade, which ends at 4th & Denney that morning. The directions from the parking garage website are:

Directions (From I-5 North):

1. Head north on I-5 and follow signs to the Mercer Street Exit
  2. Take exit 167 (left-side off-ramp) to Mercer Street
  3. Take a right turn on to Fairview Avenue North (400 feet)
  4. Take a left turn on Valley Street (0.18 miles)
  5. Valley Street bends to the left and becomes Broad Street (1.1 miles)
  6. Turn left at Alaskan Way (0.2 miles)
  7. Turn left at Wall Street (92 feet)
  8. Garage entrance is on your right

Following these directions would seem to put us right in the thick of things.

What do you suggest as the best route to get to the Pier 66 parking garage, from I-5 North, avoiding the area around 4th & Denney & Broad Street, on Sunday morning around 10:00 am? (The parade starts at 4th & Union, so we’d like to avoid that area, too.)

Also, would the previously-mentioned Viaduct closure and Ferris Wheel opening have any impact on us that morning?

Thanks so much for your help!

Okay, Seattle experts, I would appreciate your help with driving directions…

We will be driving to Pier 66 on Sunday and parking at the Bell Street Pier garage on Wall Street. We would like to avoid the traffic congestion resulting from the finish of the Pride parade, which ends at 4th & Denney that morning. The directions from the parking garage website are:

Directions (From I-5 North):

1. Head north on I-5 and follow signs to the Mercer Street Exit
  2. Take exit 167 (left-side off-ramp) to Mercer Street
  3. Take a right turn on to Fairview Avenue North (400 feet)
  4. Take a left turn on Valley Street (0.18 miles)
  5. Valley Street bends to the left and becomes Broad Street (1.1 miles)
  6. Turn left at Alaskan Way (0.2 miles)
  7. Turn left at Wall Street (92 feet)
  8. Garage entrance is on your right

Following these directions would seem to put us right in the thick of things.

What do you suggest as the best route to get to the Pier 66 parking garage, from I-5 North, avoiding the area around 4th & Denney & Broad Street, on Sunday morning around 10:00 am? (The parade starts at 4th & Union, so we’d like to avoid that area, too.)

Also, would the previously-mentioned Viaduct closure and Ferris Wheel opening have any impact on us that morning?

Thanks so much for your help!

Just stay on I-5 to the Columbia/James exit, turn west (downhill) on Columbia St. and go all the way down the hill to Alaskan Way. Turn right on Alaskan Way and go north all the way to Wall Street, turn right and right again into the parking garage.

I have no idea what impact the Ferris wheel is going to have on waterfront traffic; I'd assume minimal at 10 AM. FWIW I believe I heard on TV this morning that the wheel is now opening on the 28th.

Just stay on I-5 to the Columbia/James exit, turn west (downhill) on Columbia St. and go all the way down the hill to Alaskan Way. Turn right on Alaskan Way and go north all the way to Wall Street, turn right and right again into the parking garage.

I have no idea what impact the Ferris wheel is going to have on waterfront traffic; I'd assume minimal at 10 AM. FWIW I believe I heard on TV this morning that the wheel is now opening on the 28th.

Thanks so much, Gardyloo! We'll be raising a glass to you, at sail-away.

(As we're heading north on I-5, is the Columbia/James exit one of those that peels off to the left? It all looks like red spaghetti on my map...)

Thanks so much, Gardyloo! We'll be raising a glass to you, at sail-away.

(As we're heading north on I-5, is the Columbia/James exit one of those that peels off to the left? It all looks like red spaghetti on my map...)

Oops, sorry. If you're coming from the south (i.e. driving northbound) then I'd follow the "Dearborn/James/Madison" street signs (aka the "distributor/collector" lanes) which exit to the right close to the I-90 interchange (easier to do than to describe.) Take James St. downhill to the waterfront as described above (instead of Columbia St.) You will hit Yesler Way just before the waterfront, and there may be some detouring around the Yesler/Alaskan Way intersection due to construction, but you can figure it out. Or, you can turn right off Yesler onto Western Avenue and take Western all the way to Wall Street, but you might encounter some traffic around the Pike Place Market, which Western skirts for a little way. No big, just keep going north on Western to Wall (in which case you'd be turning left on Wall as the garage is next to Alaskan Way.)

Oops, sorry. If you're coming from the south (i.e. driving northbound) then I'd follow the "Dearborn/James/Madison" street signs (aka the "distributor/collector" lanes) which exit to the right close to the I-90 interchange (easier to do than to describe.) Take James St. downhill to the waterfront as described above (instead of Columbia St.) You will hit Yesler Way just before the waterfront, and there may be some detouring around the Yesler/Alaskan Way intersection due to construction, but you can figure it out. Or, you can turn right off Yesler onto Western Avenue and take Western all the way to Wall Street, but you might encounter some traffic around the Pike Place Market, which Western skirts for a little way. No big, just keep going north on Western to Wall (in which case you'd be turning left on Wall as the garage is next to Alaskan Way.)

Many thanks!

Ugh.....

Thanks for the info regarding the parade!

We arrive in Seattle Sun am for. Tues embarkation.

We only have brunch for Sun afternoon at Space Needle, a good thing now!

Should make for some very interesting people watching nonetheless.

Ugh.....

Thanks for the info regarding the parade!

We arrive in Seattle Sun am for. Tues embarkation.

We only have brunch for Sun afternoon at Space Needle, a good thing now!

Should make for some very interesting people watching nonetheless.

True--we often find our out-of-town visitors fascinating to watch. But deep down inside, I'm sure you're just like the rest of us! ;)

And... how about today, 06-23-12

Special Events

The Seafair Rock and Roll Seattle Marathon will close the following I-5 ramps at Dearborn Avenue on Saturday morning, June 23, 2012, from 5:00 AM to 9:45 AM. The Southbound and Northbound I-5 Exits to Dearborn Avenue; and, the Dearborn Avenue On-ramps to Northbound and Southbound I-5.

The I-90 Express Lanes will be closed from 4:00 AM until 2:00 PM on Saturday, June 23, 2012, for the Seafair Rock and Roll Marathon.

Northbound SR 99 Alaskan Way Viaduct and Aurora Avenue will close from Diagonal Ave S through the Battery Street Tunnel to Roy St, from 5:00 AM to 3:30 PM on Saturday, June 23, 2012, for the Seafair Rock and Roll Seattle Marathon.

The Rat City Rollegirls have a match at KeyArena beginning at 5:30 p.m.

Both Eastbound and Westbound I-90 Exits to Southbound Rainier Avenue S will close from 5:00 AM to 9:45 AM Saturday, June 23 2012 for the Seafair Rock and Roll Seattle Marathon. Also closed from 5:00 AM to 9:45 AM is the Southbound Rainier Ave S On-ramp to Eastbound I-90

Archived