Can't snorkel X days after certain phase of moon due to jellyfish?

mikeerdas

I read somewhere, possibly in Oahu Revealed, that it's not at all advisable to snorkel for X days after a particular phase of the moon. Have folks here found that to be true?

We arrive in Honolulu on Tuesday Sept 25 late in the afternoon. So potential snorkeling days for us would be anywhere from Wed Sept 26th to Sunday Sept 30th. Would any of these days be "no go" snorkeling days due to jellyfish? And does this jellyfish / moon phase phenomenon manifest pretty much the same all year round? Or are there worse times or the year than others for jellyfish?

Trying to put together our trip itinerary (we'll be in Hawaii 6 nights for an overland-only trip--mostly on Oahu, but with one day trip and/or overnight to The Big Island). Snorkeling from a beach near port in Kona was a highlight of our Hawaii cruise many moons ago--never come close to the "wow" factor anywhere in the Caribbean. And I want to be sure we don't miss out on snorkeling for this trip. Also don't want to be mobbed by jellyfish. :-)

Usually the south shorelines are the most hit areas with the jellyfish, which happens around the 8th to the 12th day after the full moon. Those days can be the worst ones.

Hope this helps, and maybe someone has some more info too....

Chuck

Usually the south shorelines are the most hit areas with the jellyfish, which happens around the 8th to the 12th day after the full moon. Those days can be the worst ones.

Hope this helps, and maybe someone has some more info too....

Chuck

It does. Mahalo. Also interested in what others think and their personal experiences with this. May also cross-post to the snorkeling / diving sub-forum. But would rather keep the thread here where it's specific to Hawaii.

Aloha.

According to the following web site, the nearest full moon to my trip is Sept 29th, 2012. We fly home early AM on Oct 1st, so that would put us safely out of the jellyfish concern time frame--with the problem occurring 8 to 12 days after the full moon. Correct?

http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/astronomy.html?n=103&month=9&year=2012&obj=moon&afl=-11&day=1

I got this link when I asked a similar question on another website:

http://www.to-hawaii.com/jellyfishcalendar.html

As you can see - you should be fine!

This calendar is STRICTLY for box jellyfish Man-o-war jellyfish can appear AT ANY TIME when the wind is blowing towards the shore BUT they never appear in the numbers that the Box jellies appear in AND are far more obvious (I have seen them in the Caribbean - large, kindof Windex blue colour and not too hard to avoid.)

I got this link when I asked a similar question on another website:

http://www.to-hawaii.com/jellyfishcalendar.html

As you can see - you should be fine!

This calendar is STRICTLY for box jellyfish Man-o-war jellyfish can appear AT ANY TIME when the wind is blowing towards the shore BUT they never appear in the numbers that the Box jellies appear in AND are far more obvious (I have seen them in the Caribbean - large, kindof Windex blue colour and not too hard to avoid.)

Thanks Zeno, appreciate the help. :-)

Archived