Intercontinental Miami Review

dixiediva761

Getting ready to check out to get on Voyager of the Seas and just wanted to write a quick review while I am still here. This hotel is beautiful! We are on the 19th floor overlooking Biscayne Bay and we can see the Voyager right across the way. The view is breathtaking. We got the hotel on priceline for 89 a night plus taxes then I e-mailed and requested a harborview room on a high floor. They responded rather quickly and advised it would be an additional 25 per night..they actaully only charged it one night..we stayed here for 3. Though the price was reduced considerably be aware it is still a 4 star hotel! (a pot of coffee in the morning from room service for example comes to 15 bucks after all the charges):confused: . The garage is 24 per night even for guests. The lobby is beautiful and the rooms are very art deco and nice. I cannot say I would pay the going rate to stay here but for the rate we paid (the same the Holiday Inn was asking, which by the way owns this hotel as well) it certainly was worth it, for the view alone. The Bayside Marketplace is visible from the room also and is a short walk. All in all we had a very enjoyable stay here and I would recommend this hotel to anyone..for the priceline rate that is.

Michele

we had stayed at the intercontinental 2 years in a row pre cruise. this past dec the stark difference was......they built a HUGE condo right next door. if you are traveling with kids or if you want to use the pool....be aware that after 10:00 a.m. the pool is virutally sunless. this building completely blocks it out for the rest of the day. it was a tremendous bummer for us. having said that....you are also walking distance to "bayside" which is an awesome outdoor mall with restaurants, live music, stores and boats. you can see the pier where all the cruise ships are. we love the place but won't go again because we like the use of a pool. bummer

WE are staying at this hotel pre cruise.Do you know the best way to get to the hotel from the airport? DO they offer a shutle service? Also - what is the best way to get to the ship?

Sorry took so long to reply just got home last night. Taxis are definitely the way to go. Of course the hotel has a taxi stand and the doormen will call them up for you. The trip to the pier was about 7 or 8 bucks and it was pain free. They pull right up to the pier and get the luggage to a porter. Happy cruising.

Michele

• 2 weeks later...

On June 5th after a couple hours of research and several calls to individual hotels, I booked the Intercontinental for $100. on PL. This is for October 7th, 2005, the day before we sail Navigator of the Seas. I want to thank all of the CC contributors. After all the work, I saw one say that they got the "I" for $100. I usually start stupid low and do the free rebidding but at midnight I put in the bid and got it first time. The "I" is one of the hotels I called. Their "best" rate was $199. Of course, if you are "fresh", try super low and rebid.

I still am amazed at the price the reservations clerk quote in thier sometimes snotty ways compared to what PL or Hotwire will produce. Thanks again.

edpeeks - see you are joining the navigator the week after us. Pity it was not the same week or we could have shared a taxi from the hotel!!!! We are doing back to back so will still be on the ship when you arrive - do you know if anyone has started a meet and mingle for this cruise? We have joined up for the one starting the 1st October.

I just used Priceline for my very first time! I bid on Miami Downtown, 4 star, and got the Intercontinental for $75 plus taxes & fees. Total came out to $92.78 on July 3rd. I feel pretty good about this price ... hope I did all right!

We found the InterContinental Hotel in Miami (near the port) to be a really lovely location. It is a very short walk to "Bayside Marketplace" and the hotel staff is very pleasant and helpful.

One thing that was quite a big surprise for us: The Hotel Concierge will 'take in" Hertz rental cars as a perk for its guests. We didn't know this prior to arriving at the hotel with our rental car, but checked with the desk to see if it was possible. They only do this for their hotel guests, but it was a nice way to unload our rental car before cruising.

I would definitely stay at this hotel again! :D

• 2 weeks later...
It is a very short walk to "Bayside Marketplace" and the hotel staff is very pleasant and helpful.

Is it safe to walk after dark? I've stayed at the Hyatt D/T Miami before and was told not to walk after dark. Should I plan to take a cab back to the hotel? There are two women and 4 teens in our group.

Is it safe to walk after dark? I've stayed at the Hyatt D/T Miami before and was told not to walk after dark. Should I plan to take a cab back to the hotel? There are two women and 4 teens in our group.

Princess,

We recently stayed at the Holiday Inn across the street from Bayside and the Intercontinental is literally 2 blocks away, at most. I wouldn't have a second thought about walking from there to the InterC, especially in a group. You may encounter a panhandler at worst. I would have reservations about a walk back to the Hyatt, however.

Will be staying at the InterC in November ($102 on Hotwire), very excited about this.

:confused: I have a quick question. I have never done Priceline and I understand that you can't choose your hotel, so how did all of you get the InterContinental on Priceline? What if you don't want to stay at the place they put you at? Thanks in advance!

:confused: I have a quick question. I have never done Priceline and I understand that you can't choose your hotel, so how did all of you get the InterContinental on Priceline? What if you don't want to stay at the place they put you at? Thanks in advance!

We couldn't specifically ask for the Intercontinental, however, there is a website: http://www.biddingfortravel.com that I have visited often before bidding on Priceline. On that website they list the hotels for each city/area by star rating that people have reported being awarded when bidding on Priceline. I knew that the Intercontinental was the only 5* hotel being awarded in the downtown Miami area, so I went ahead and bid for a 5* and was able to get it. You have to be prepared that the inventory can change at any time and that you could possibly get another hotel even though everyone else has only been awarded that hotel, so it is a gamble. However, for the prices most of us have secured these hotels, it is worth the risk. I, and others, have posted our bidding strategies and outcome on that website and that should give you a good idea on how to proceed. Feel free to ask any other questions you might have.

I was so glad to read that this hotel was lovely, I was getting a bit worried after reading another forum member say that it was a dump! :( Im staying here the night before my cruise and was worried it would ruin the start of my holiday.

As a single female traveller, any tips/advice you can give me regarding the area?

The InterContinental is a very lovely hotel. I'm sure you'll enjoy your stay very much.

Miami is a lovely big city. During the day, it is safe to walk from the hotel to Bayside Marketplace. I would, however, be a little more cautious, and take a cab to Bayside Marketplace in the evening hours. It is only a short walk/cab drive, but keep in mind you are still in a very big city! Always err on the side of caution. Even the folks at the hotel cautioned my husband and me about taking a cab in the evening hours!

I was so glad to read that this hotel was lovely, I was getting a bit worried after reading another forum member say that it was a dump! :( Im staying here the night before my cruise and was worried it would ruin the start of my holiday.

As a single female traveller, any tips/advice you can give me regarding the area?

Susan.....There are 2 Intercontentials in Miami....the one being talked about here is the one on Chopin Plaza right on the Bay. The "dump" may have been the other Intercont.

Hi Susan and Maryjohn......just thought I'd let you know of a great forum for UK cruisers.....if you go to the boards menu > just for fun > floataway lounge ...you will find it there....They are a great bunch of folks on it and a wealth of info for us UK cruisers as per hotels, ships etc plus the fact we all get a wee blether about life in general !

The Info /advice that you can get there is very much appropriate to us UK . Pop over for a wee look....You'll find a very warm welcome ....

P.S I'm watching the Intercontinental on Hotwire for next March for a 2 night pre cruise stay in Miami prior to our B2B cruise on the Jewel of the Seas from Fort Lauderdale, just hoping that the nearer I get to March the lower the price will be ....fingers crossed...failing that I have the Holiday Inn booked as a standby...either way I'll be a very

Happycruzer

• 2 weeks later...

Archived