No Dry Cleaning Onboard?

shellgoodman

There is no dry cleaning on board has anyone done the Carnival press service at all?

My DH is leaving today for 18 days and we will not see him until late 7/6 before our cruise as he is traveling overseas. He is traveling with a carry on right now as he has to go to different countries. Not only did I pack him with business casual clothes but I packed a suit, sports coat and dress shirts.

The first week he'll be in one country so he can send out there but the 2nd week he won't be long enough in one country to get laundry done.

I packed a separate bag for the cruise with casual clothes that I will meet up with him with. However, the suits, dress shirts, pants and sport jacket are going to be a mess. Plus he is a terrible packer.

I can wash his dress shirts, hang them to dry and send them to the press service (so they don't shrink). There are going to be too many clothes to iron for me and I don't want to stand in the hot ironing room in a line to do all of them. Yes, I am bringing the Downy Wrinkle releaser but I know I have to use the press service and send out all the stinky gym clothes and underwear out to be laundered. Just have never had to do this before on Carnival.

On the Behind the Fun tour on our last cruise, the manager in charge of the laundry said that none of the ships had dry cleaning. He said that they were no longer allowed (since around 2007) to use the chemicals required for dry cleaning, so they had to stop. This had something to do with disposal of the chemicals...

However, hanging the items in a steamy bathroom is a remarkably quick process. The shower gets very hot and the bathroom steams in no time. Just a tip--the ship's hangers are useless for this. I always bring one hanger from home so I can steam my clothes.

If you want to use the press service, I was able to watch the machine in action during the Behind the Fun tour. The suit goes on the form (like a mannequin) and the steam shoots from the inside. It's a really cool looking machine. The officers have their uniforms pressed there, so you might want to try it out.

Make sure you write PRESS only. I sent some shirts out to be pressed and the washed and dried them instead. Ruined some of my shirts. From that day on, I write PRESS ONLY really big on the bag I send them out in.

Hi Shell!

I've used the pressing service before. They do a great job and get it back by the next day....(I THINK you can pay extra to get it back faster?). If my clothes are wrinkled when I pull them out of the suitcase, I just send them to be pressed. No WAY would I iron on vacation! That's no fun at all! I have to use all of my discipline just to step away from the pool and go unpack the first afternoon!

Archived