Coki Beach dive St Thomas opinions welcomee

BillOh

Thank you all, you've been great so far. I'm nearly finished with my online classes and I start pool training/class next week. I'm currently leaning on taking a beach dive from Coki Beach in St Thomas. My wife won't be diving, but will be happy with a nice beach with facilities. I'm thinking about taking a cab from Crown Point - (Allure of the Seas) to this facility and taking two dives. I'm leaning towards a beach dive so I can stay with/near my wife more than a boat dive, but everything is still open for consideration.

We used the Coki Dive Center in February and were very happy with them. They do offer the beach dives which are nice. It has beautiful snorkeling if your wife enjoys that. I enjoyed the beach while DH did all his dives that day.

We used the Coki Dive Center in February and were very happy with them. They do offer the beach dives which are nice. It has beautiful snorkeling if your wife enjoys that. I enjoyed the beach while DH did all his dives that day.

Glad to hear that. Did you feel comfortable/safe there? I've been reading posts about the cruise passenger shot near here in 2010. We would be taking a taxi to from there.

Glad to hear that. Did you feel comfortable/safe there? I've been reading posts about the cruise passenger shot near here in 2010. We would be taking a taxi to from there.

I can't speak for the dive, but I really enjoyed Coki. The taxi does take you through town (I think we passed 2 or 3 KMarts...:)) and through a mostly residential stretch (where the shooting occurred), but we never felt unsafe - I've felt more unsafe in parts of my suburb. The beach was beautiful, snorkeling towards the Coral World area was impressive, clean potties, freshwater showers, 2 chairs and umbrella was not more than $20, waitstaff available to bring food & drinks. We were met at the entrance and well looked after the entire time. Lots of regulars/locals/families, but not crowded and nothing shady like you might find elsewhere.

I can't speak for the dive, but I really enjoyed Coki. The taxi does take you through town (I think we passed 2 or 3 KMarts...:)) and through a mostly residential stretch (where the shooting occurred), but we never felt unsafe - I've felt more unsafe in parts of my suburb. The beach was beautiful, snorkeling towards the Coral World area was impressive, clean potties, freshwater showers, 2 chairs and umbrella was not more than $20, waitstaff available to bring food & drinks. We were met at the entrance and well looked after the entire time. Lots of regulars/locals/families, but not crowded and nothing shady like you might find elsewhere.

Thank you for taking the time to relate this. I can watch drugs being sold from my couch and had a few shootings around, so I thought that incident was getting overplayed. I'm glad to hear good things about the beach. The communication from the dive company there has been good so far. I completed the online training this week, so pool classes start next week.

Yes it is safe, I have been back there twice since 2010 and it has been all cleaned up and patrolled heavily by police on ATVs. I am a snorkeler and have found it to be excellent...the area you want to go is to the right as you are facing the water, toward Coral World. I would get there ASAP before all of the people arrive as it can get a bit crowded.

I would get there ASAP before all of the people arrive as it can get a bit crowded.

Noted, We will be the only ship there that day so we will get off the ship right away and into the cab, the dive operator said he would hold off the dive till 10am or later if needed as Allure doesn't dock at Crownpoint until around 9.

We know Peter, the owner of the dive operation at Coki Beach - can't ask for a better dive operation. We dive frequently here, and I took my dive group there last Feb. It's inexpensive and a great place to get wet. Non divers can hang out on the beach. He will not let you out without a dive buddy, but finding someone shouldn't be a problem. Compared to other dive ports, it's not much of a dive; however, it's a good place to get wet, especially if you plan to dive elsewhere the same week.

You can rent dive gear and make arrangements to do an organized dive with others, if you don't want to go on your own. I think for one tank, he will charge you about $50 which I believe includes gear. Otherwise, tank rentals are cheap. Go early, as many cruise ship snorkel tours come here, and the beach can get very crowded.

Good luck.

Suzi

I also dove with Pete the owner of the Coki Beach Dive shop. I did 2 tank boat dives each time. The dives were both quite good.

My wife and friends stayed at the beach. Some took the Discovey scuba, for shore dives. Others snorkeled, or just enjoyed the beach.

Thanks again to everyone. I take my final class Thursday night then 2 weeks later my certification dives here in Ohio. Any of you that have dove at Coki have any photos from your dive?

We know Peter, the owner of the dive operation at Coki Beach - can't ask for a better dive operation. We dive frequently here, and I took my dive group there last Feb. It's inexpensive and a great place to get wet. Non divers can hang out on the beach. He will not let you out without a dive buddy, but finding someone shouldn't be a problem. Compared to other dive ports, it's not much of a dive; however, it's a good place to get wet, especially if you plan to dive elsewhere the same week.

You can rent dive gear and make arrangements to do an organized dive with others, if you don't want to go on your own. I think for one tank, he will charge you about $50 which I believe includes gear. Otherwise, tank rentals are cheap. Go early, as many cruise ship snorkel tours come here, and the beach can get very crowded.

Good luck.

Do you know if coki supplies nitrox ? Im planning on diving there and I'm trying to figure out if I should dive with air or nitrox.

Thank you all, you've been great so far. I'm nearly finished with my online classes and I start pool training/class next week. I'm currently leaning on taking a beach dive from Coki Beach in St Thomas. My wife won't be diving, but will be happy with a nice beach with facilities. I'm thinking about taking a cab from Crown Point - (Allure of the Seas) to this facility and taking two dives. I'm leaning towards a beach dive so I can stay with/near my wife more than a boat dive, but everything is still open for consideration.[/quote

Congrat !!L

Next take the nitrox class. That will come in handy? I just completed my advanced course.

Good luck.

Suzi

So glad to hear this. We are booked with a discover scuba dive with them in July. My eldest daughter and I are certified (but new) and my youngest daughter is not certified, so we were going to take the discover scuba class with her just to refresh my eldest daughter (only 7 dives and last one in December 2010) before she I diving in Grand Turk. Looking forward to it.

Are there chairs & umbrellas for non-divers on the beach? Are there food and drinks available?

Ideally we'd like to take the entire family here for the day, but only half the group dives. I'd love anyone's opinion on this idea. We like to stay together as much as possible, but the divers need their dives :P

We did a great boat dive with them on our last trip to St. Thomas, and are planning to do it again when we return.

Their 'shack' shares the parking lot with Coral World, and the beach is nice. Everything you could want is right there.

Have a great time!

Wendy

Here's a couple photos for you... and more here. http://community.webshots.com/user/wendyandkeith

2000359500055701600S500x500Q85.jpg

2675586650055701600S500x500Q85.jpg

Archived