Pearl Island vs. Blue Lagoon snorkel

kitkit

I just got off a cruise and we snorkled at pearl island. There are good and bad parts to pearl island. First of all, we did just the pearl island snorkel, not the pearl island snorkel w/ treasure hunt. It was a relatively inexpensive excursion, about $45 a person I think.

The boat ride to Pearl Island is long - about 35 minutes. But it is a beautiful ride, and a good opportunity for lots of beautiful pictures and good conversation with your party. Once you get the Pearl Island, you can get all your gear (a mask, snorkel, fins, and a vest). Let me just say that the gear isn't the best. The snorkel and mask are the basics - bring your own if you have them. My snorkel didn't even fit in my mouth!

You can snorkel for as long as you like, but upon getting out of the water, don't even think about needing a fresh water shower or jumping into the pool......everything on the island is salt water, including faucets in the bathroom, etc. You will be salty for the rest of the day, just get used to it.

The snorkeling itself is nice, there is an area that is MUCH large enough for all the people to swim in, and you won't run into people or get kicked by someone else's fin. It is a beautiful area, with plenty of fish and other assorted ocean life. Very colorful and fun, and more than enough room for everyone. Visibility is awesome if you can get the cheap mask to seal to your face good enough to stay under for longer than 20 seconds.

Food is expensive, 4 or 5 dollars for hamburgers and hotdogs and 7 or 8 dollars for bbq chicken. But at least the food was good. Drinks are expensive also, but WORTH IT, because the frozen drinks are very good. Don't expect a wide variety of beer....they only have Kalik, the "beer of the bahamas", affectionately nick-named "cow-lick" by Americans.

You are ready to leave the island within an hour and a half. But, unfortunately, you are there for about 3 and a half hours. The island is beautiful and the people are nice, don't get me wrong. It is a great experience, but now that I have experienced it, I probably wouldn't do it again.

Also note that if you take the yellowbird party boat (booze cruise), it goes to pearl island (but these people have a much better time because they get all-you-can drink alcohol and a meal that is all paid for). The stringray excursion and the treasure hunt are all also at Pearl Island, so there are a lot of people on the island, although you don't notice that many.

It's not a bad little trip for the money (considering how expensive everything else is). We made lots of memories there, but wouldn't choose to do it a second time.

If you have any other questions in refrence to Pearl Island, don't hesitate to ask - I'll be more than happy to let you know anything else that I didn't cover. Good luck in making your decision!

• 2 months later...
I just got off a cruise and we snorkled at pearl island. There are good and bad parts to pearl island. First of all, we did just the pearl island snorkel, not the pearl island snorkel w/ treasure hunt. It was a relatively inexpensive excursion, about $45 a person I think.

The boat ride to Pearl Island is long - about 35 minutes. But it is a beautiful ride, and a good opportunity for lots of beautiful pictures and good conversation with your party. Once you get the Pearl Island, you can get all your gear (a mask, snorkel, fins, and a vest). Let me just say that the gear isn't the best. The snorkel and mask are the basics - bring your own if you have them. My snorkel didn't even fit in my mouth!

You can snorkel for as long as you like, but upon getting out of the water, don't even think about needing a fresh water shower or jumping into the pool......everything on the island is salt water, including faucets in the bathroom, etc. You will be salty for the rest of the day, just get used to it.

The snorkeling itself is nice, there is an area that is MUCH large enough for all the people to swim in, and you won't run into people or get kicked by someone else's fin. It is a beautiful area, with plenty of fish and other assorted ocean life. Very colorful and fun, and more than enough room for everyone. Visibility is awesome if you can get the cheap mask to seal to your face good enough to stay under for longer than 20 seconds.

Food is expensive, 4 or 5 dollars for hamburgers and hotdogs and 7 or 8 dollars for bbq chicken. But at least the food was good. Drinks are expensive also, but WORTH IT, because the frozen drinks are very good. Don't expect a wide variety of beer....they only have Kalik, the "beer of the bahamas", affectionately nick-named "cow-lick" by Americans.

You are ready to leave the island within an hour and a half. But, unfortunately, you are there for about 3 and a half hours. The island is beautiful and the people are nice, don't get me wrong. It is a great experience, but now that I have experienced it, I probably wouldn't do it again.

Also note that if you take the yellowbird party boat (booze cruise), it goes to pearl island (but these people have a much better time because they get all-you-can drink alcohol and a meal that is all paid for). The stringray excursion and the treasure hunt are all also at Pearl Island, so there are a lot of people on the island, although you don't notice that many.

It's not a bad little trip for the money (considering how expensive everything else is). We made lots of memories there, but wouldn't choose to do it a second time.

If you have any other questions in refrence to Pearl Island, don't hesitate to ask - I'll be more than happy to let you know anything else that I didn't cover. Good luck in making your decision!

We're booked for the Pearl Island Treasure Hunt, which includes a meal, did you run into anyone who took that excursion? We're looking forward to it and hope that it's worth the money. Of course ANY day at the beach is wonderful so I won't be too worried.

Archived