Keeping up my kids

CruisinKAt70

Just back from the Splendor. We took 5 grand kids ages 13 to 16. They had ball and we never worried about where they were. There were about 1/2 million other kids and they all appeared to be mostly under control. We did expect them at dinner with the exception of the 1st night and we all met in the lobby at six. They slept until 11...LOL and we saw them cruise by several times a day.

Damn..to be 16 again and know what we know now!

Your kids will be fine! Just set rules about going in other people's cabins. Make regularly scheduled check in times and places. Make it a point to meet the parents of kids they are hanging out with. Generally speaking, they are not too hard to find on a ship as long as you make sure they go to NO cabin unless they come by and talk to you about it first. I never let mine go to anyone's cabin unless I have met the parents and feel comfortable....and know the exact cabin number so I can check on them randomly. :D

The 2 way radio is a good plan except if your kid is in the pool or something...or if you've got the kind of kid that leaves stuff laying around (like mine).

Have meeting times....make them come to you PHYSICALLY....set tentative plans for the day so everyone knows where everyone else will be. The ship isn't that large...at least, the public areas aren't. It's really not that hard to keep up with your party as you might think!

We purchased $65 walkie talkies with a "35 mile radius" for our last cruise and the connection(s) were inconsistent at best.

Think we will end up using them on other places than ships.

We had very good walkies and tried them twice....not a disaster...but ended up being very annoying. Other kids would get on the same channel and say inappropriate things, screech, laugh, and general....be a kid!:cool:

We ended up setting up meeting times and this worked great. We also saw them around a lot, too.

One suggestion is to have one of the meetings at your muster station. That way you know your kids can find it without you...in event of an emergency!

Have a great time!

I wish they rented the corless phones out we cruise with a bunch of friends and they come in very handy

That is something I will miss about Disney, wave phones in every room. You can use them all over the ship to call other rooms, guest services, room service, whatever. They are always on silent, so not ringing where they shouldnt.

Archived