Tropical Storm Debby Forms in the Gulf

It looks as if Florida is getting doused pretty good by this storm as it develops. It looks on first glance like the storm is headed to Florida with all that rain, but the location of the storm is deceiving--the center of the storm is to the left of all the rain...

The models to date are all over the place, so if a forecaster is saying it is going to do one thing or the other, it is mostly because he "trusts" a certain model more than the others. In reality, it could go just about anywhere in the Gulf depending on what other conditions develop. Luckily, water temps are not really high yet...that could make it a real problem!!

We're headed across from Texas to Florida this week, so we're keeping an eye on the storm. I'll also be keeping an eye here and wishing all of our fellow cruisers good luck as ships move around the storm. Missing ports stinks, but that is the hurricane season...

Actually, on the gulf side of florida, our water temps. are pretty high for this time of year as we had a very mild winter. Water is around 90. Good luck to all those sailing this week!

Rain is here for the next 36 hours, Tampa area is having it worse and south FL having lots of rotation in these storms, so small, short-lived tornadoes are possible and water spouts. We really needed tropical storm moisture, its been dry, a month ago brush fires were popping up everywhere.

LOTS of rain coming, break out the flip flops or hurricane shoes....:)

[/b]http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=florida+hurricane+shoes&view=detail&id=2E619C0041CDADD82B946268F2CE28AD857508C2&first=1

Do I dare hope for a hurricane special? Hurricane Rita got us on the Ecstasy in Galveston for $89 pp!

LOL>> Ouch but that is sweet

I have friends who were able to stay on Imagination for 10 days during

Wilma...

some folks who were able to get to port sailed for $99 they ran radio ads

we had no lights, no gas etc from Keys to West Palm

I sure wished I was on a cruise

Actually, on the gulf side of florida, our water temps. are pretty high for this time of year as we had a very mild winter. Water is around 90. Good luck to all those sailing this week!

I was probably a little less specific than I needed to be about that...inshore water temps may well be above normal; the water temps at sea are not that high (http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/feature?section=weather/hurricane&id=6191146) yet. They are high enough to help development but not as high as they often are later in the season...

Well the front is not pulling it strong enough, Channel 4 now says its getting to far north to pull it very far west, so probably a panhandle/AL landfall, and its raining cats & dogs, but no more than any good summer FL storm.

DS & DH are moving furniture today and I have shopping to do, my friends are traveling to Orlando for the Titantic adventure today! Gotta luv FL weather!

Just got off the Legend. We had fantastic weather all week except for Saturday. It was non stop rain, wind, and waves. Actually the seas weren't all that bad. Continual rain this morning. Those folks sailing out today, well its not going to be that fun. Just got get a bar tan. I think they will have a day of not so great weather on Monday but then it should be okay.

I didn't ask, but it didn't appear that they were making any plans to not sail today. As of 10 am they were getting the lunch buffet ready. If anything

they will probably sail late today due the logistics of wet weather. Plus too it won't be fun for the safety drill during the pouring rain.

I'm in Citrus County (1.5 hours north of Tampa on the Gulf), and the weather is deteriorating quickly.

Wind gusts up to 60mph, torrential downpours, hail and power outages.

We are currently in a tropical storm and tornado watch.

The tornado sirens have gone off twice this morning but I haven't heard anything other than the sirens.

Stay safe everyone involved.

We went out onto Ft Myers Beach this morning....by the pier...couldn't believe how WARM the water was. the waves were prett cool!

I'm an hour + inland from Tampa. It's been rainy and windy all today. But having gone through Charley, Frances and Jeanne, well, a little rain and wind doesn't impress me much.

Wouldn't want to be sailing in it though.

I'm an hour + inland from Tampa. It's been rainy and windy all today. But having gone through Charley, Frances and Jeanne, well, a little rain and wind doesn't impress me much.

Wouldn't want to be sailing in it though.

Oh boy, 2004! I'll never forget 2004 in Central Florida.

Pure hell. One right after another.

I lived in the one little town that actually had the eye of all three pass over it. With each storm the electricity was out longer and longer. Every time I bought groceries a new storm hit!

Winds are picking up a little here, we are drenched, having to force poor poochy to go potty outside :D, hopefully no thunder, she hates that...this is a weird storm, now they are saying it may come across NE. Florida, which is me:rolleyes:. Hope we don't have power outages.

Happy Sailing,

Amen to that! DH was in Iraq that year, so I had my mom,sister, 4 boys and 3 dogs to prepare for. It was awful, I was so exhausted after those few weeks, we had to up and leave 2x and come back to spoiled groceries and some damage to the house.:(

So true and thanks for the reminder. Fear that because the past several years only a few in Florida, people just don't think that it can and at some point will happen again. :o

I lived in the one little town that actually had the eye of all three pass over it. With each storm the electricity was out longer and longer. Every time I bought groceries a new storm hit!

Oh no! I was living down in St. Pete in 2004 and we felt it bad there too.

You're right. Every time the electricity came back on from the previous storm, the new one knocked it back out.

LOL>> Ouch but that is sweet

I have friends who were able to stay on Imagination for 10 days during

Wilma...

some folks who were able to get to port sailed for $99 they ran radio ads

we had no lights, no gas etc from Keys to West Palm

I sure wished I was on a cruise

We were hit directly by Rita. I would have rather been anywhere other than SE Texas at that time. Ugh, no power and the heat/humidity after the storm was nasty. :(

Hope everything works out. Stay safe everyone.

We are headed out on the mos tomorrow. No clue what we are gonna get.

We live in pinellas county and are headed pounded by rain. Our pool is overflowing, dry retention pond is filling up and branches are all over the street.

Did I mention 2 leaks in our roof popped up? Yay us. We are praying for calm seas, I don't mind the rain. Hold the barf bags please!

• 2 weeks later...

My husband and I just got off the Legend yesterday. We sailed out right into Tropical Storm Debby it was a rough couple of days. Sunday night was like nothing I had ever experienced. I didn't get much sleep. The dancers couldn't even perform. The waves, wind, and rain were indescribable. Once we got to Cozumel we had great weather.

Archived