19 yr old boy/man going on 1st cruise

GrammyJill

I'm a little concerned my son will have a good time. We are going on our first cruise July 28th :p . My son around home is always with friends. He is a bit shy around people he doesn't know & he is always concerned about how "if he is going to look dumb" if he does something different. (Yes, I know, he will outgrow this. Hopefully SOON)

He will be moving out next month but this trip definately includes him.

We will be sailing out of Mobile on the Holiday for the 4 nighter. We will be meeting family in Mobile the day before but all the kids are younger than him. My dd is 10 & then there will be 2 young nephews.

Should I be worried? :confused:

I KNOW I'm gonna have a BLAST!

On a July cruise, there should be LOTS of young folks his age on board. There's usually a teen mixer on one of the first evenings, and they may/may not be younger, but he should check it out. It will be announced in the Capers. There's always the arcade and 24-hour food!:) I hope he enjoys the cruise. The Holiday happens to be my favorite ship.

It will be good for him. He will find out that you don't always have friends handy as you go through life.This will be an opprtunity to make new friends, see new things and learn that we all make mistakes and do things that make us look stupid which in most cases, involves the over abundance of alcohole. Let him hang out in the lounge at midnight. That will prove that point.

Young people are full of life (among other things). If he can't have a great time, I will be surprised. I've never seen a young male of the species that didn't like to eat 24 hours a day.:D

Have a great trip and eat a shrimp for me.

Clackey

Thanks for the replies! My mind is resting a little easier.

Will he be able to participate in the teen activities since he will be 19 at the time? All the stuff I have seen says up to age 18.

Organized activities for teens usually cut off at age 18, and in my experience they tend not to draw the 17 and 18 year olds. Fortunately, your son will have access to all of the lounges, discos and other activities on the ship (although he cannot purchase alcoholic beverages). If he can't find some way to have fun on a cruise, he may as well stay home!

He will have a good time, point him to the Disco, thats where most of the Girls his age will be hanging out. There are also Activities on the Lido deck or pool deck and Im sure he will see a few people there his age.

I went on my first cruise when I was 16 and was not much of a mixer myself. Everyone was so nice though that as soon as I started hanging out at the arcade and the disco, I quickly met a lot of new friends from around the world...we exchanged addresses and still talk today. :)

I took my 3 boys on their first cruise when they were 19, 17, and 15. They had the times of their lives and as of today will chose no other vacation then a cruise.

Archived