What do Canadians need for ID?

Bring your passport, but also bring another form of government issued photo ID, like your drivers licence. You may need photo ID while in port and it's not a good idea to be carrying around your passport if you can help it.

I know people will say I'm being overly cautious, and that's fine. But the one time we were in Cozumel with Princess, we were told to take photo ID with us when we went ashore. They stressed to NOT take our passport if we had an alternative photo ID, like a drivers licence.

Sure enough, at the pier there was a couple Mexican authourities checking everyone's photo ID before letting us begin the walk down the pier to get back to the ship. Some people had their passports (mostly kids who had no choice) but most people used their state/province issued drivers licence.

Bring your passport, but also bring another form of government issued photo ID, like your drivers licence. You may need photo ID while in port and it's not a good idea to be carrying around your passport if you can help it.

I know people will say I'm being overly cautious, and that's fine. But the one time we were in Cozumel with Princess, we were told to take photo ID with us when we went ashore. They stressed to NOT take our passport if we had an alternative photo ID, like a drivers licence.

Sure enough, at the pier there was a couple Mexican authourities checking everyone's photo ID before letting us begin the walk down the pier to get back to the ship. Some people had their passports (mostly kids who had no choice) but most people used their state/province issued drivers licence.

We're the same way. We leave the passports in the safe unless we feel like there is a need to have them with us (if we have an excursion that be tight on time, etc.). We were specifically told to take them with us in Key West since we were docked at the Navy pier and they required it for non-US citizens. Otherwise, driver's licence has been just fine for the port stops.

Archived