New here and have cabin questions

abbydancer2003

Hello,

I've been lurking for a few days, and just registered. I'm going on a cruise on the Sapphire on 10/8/05 with a group. We've decided that we need a balcony cabin (we were on the Dawn for our honeymoon in 98 and had a balcony and loved it. We did the Fall repositioning cruise). We're working with the groups TA.

Apparently we're getting a BC cabin, which is either fore or aft Aloha, or middle Baja. Our main concerns are smoke (we are nonsmokers and are somewhat sensitive to secondhand smoke) and quiet. What do you experienced cruisers recommend? I've been looking through the boards, and haven't found an answer to that specific question, although it's possible I've missed it. (If so, my apologies.)

I've gotten a whole bunch of good tips here and I'm looking forward to more as our cruise approaches.

Thanks so much,

abby

If I was REALLY concerned with smoke...I would be looking at cabins as forward as you can get. I would think that would eliminate any possiblity of drifting smoke. But never having a forward room...I don't know what the movement is like up there. I'm an "Aft" baby myself.

Deb

We were on the Star in November and had a balcony room on the Aloha deck forward and had no problems with smoke. The only time i ever smelled smoke was out on the balcony when someone was smoking a cigar on occassion.

Karen

Star November 2004

Caribbean October 2005

Abby,

We were on the Diamond Princess Alaska cruise last August. The Caribbean is its sister ship so mostly everything is the same on both. We were on Aloha deck, cabin A735 - aft - and absolutely loved it. Just headed up the back stairs to the Horizon Court, a bar, large lounge area, and adult only pool. The view aft is wonderful. The cabin was the same as others, but the balcony was covered which I really liked. I could look down on the other decks, but noone could look into our balcony. The balcony had a table and two chairs which were fine for us. Caribe balconies are the largest from all I have heard and you can fit a lounge chair on that one. We are on the Caribbean in a few weeks, and I booked a BC guarantee which would have given me Aloha or Caribe deck which I wanted. Well, they upgraded me to a BA on Lido deck...high up and forward. Will see how that works out. As far as smoking: unfortunately, our neighbor was a smoker which really upset me but nothing we could do about that. But they were a lovey-dovey couple and didnt come out on the balcony that much. There is a small divider about shoulder high between the balconies. Just the luck of the draw who you get next door. Also at the pools you may get people who smoke near you. I just choose my deck chair carefully and will move if I get a smoker next to me. It is all workable. All in all, Aloha aft cabin/balcony was great and I would stay there again. Happy Sailing and I know you will have a terrific time.

Archived