Wine pre cruise in Copenhagen?

hgrca

Looking for suggestions where to purchase wine to bring on the ship. We are staying very central in Copenhagen but can also arrange to stop enroute to the ship.

Thanks!

Wine or any alcohol is not cheap in Denmark, approximately 50 to 100% higher than US prices. If coming to Copenhagen from a non-EU country you allowed 2 liters of wine per person. If you making a stopover to change planes in another EU country you are allowed almost unlimited amount. Although it is not duty free, you can buy it at the airport shops for a cheaper price than street price in Denmark. Based on past experience Germany airport shops have the best deals on wine.

Alcohol taxes are notoriously high in Scandinavia, this is why you see Scandinavians go nuts on ferry trips between their countries when the duty free shops open. Critics 0001 has given good advice to purchase alcohol in the airport before you leave the "sterile" area or before arriving in Denmark, otherwise the ships prices are probably better than what you will pay in the shops of Copenhagen.

Be caregul purchasing wine etc. at the airport. If you are connecting flights than you will not be able to bring it on the second leg of trip. If you have a direct flight from the U.S. to Copenhagen then purchase the wine etc at the duty free in the U.S.

Looking for suggestions where to purchase wine to bring on the ship. We are staying very central in Copenhagen but can also arrange to stop enroute to the ship.

Thanks!

If you are flying into Copenhagen Airport Terminal 3, there is a duty-free shop that sells wine (and other things) by the baggage reclaim area.

If you want to put wine safely into your suitcase I can, from personal experience, recommend the bottle carriers from "Bottlewise". I think their address is http://www.bottlewise.com They are in the US and ship everywhere. Their very clever idea is a large, sturdy (thick plastic) ziplock bag which you seal and then place into a special case to pack. The bag holds two bottles... and the case is canvas and reinforced. I frequently bring Swiss wine to the US for friends and have never had any problem. I simply pack the case (bit like a toilet bag) between my clothes. So you could bring the much cheaper US wine with you...

Archived