Celebrity Constellation 11/30/12

howndder

the cruise is almost here. how are we on the dining table...still 7 of us? is anybody going on the paris tour from celebrity that includes the river siene lunch...

As far as I know we are still seven for dinner. We can go up to ten if anyone wants to join us.

We have been to Paris many times usually for a month or more on home exchanges. So, we have no plans to go plus we have no desire to spend half the day in a bus going to and from the City of lights for maybe three hours or so there. If you do go I would only do a tour from Celebrity. If you get delayed coming back to the ship it will wait for you but.... if you do a tour on your own you would be in big trouble.

I have never been to Paris so I really wanted to go. I understand that the trip is 2 1/2 hours from the pier. Do you think I will get a good "overview" of Paris or should I cancel the tour.

I am sorry but all you will get is a tease. How much can you possibly see in a few short hours on a bus with 50 of your closet and dearest friends from the ship, herded from bus to lunch cruise to shopping venue. Paris is a city to see on foot up close and personal. At most you will cruise by the Eiffle, the Louvre, Notre Dame hopefully not in the rain so you can see out the windows of the boat or bus assuming you get a window seat. I hate to put a damper on things for you but a few hours in one of the greatest cities in the world does not cut it for me. We did one of these things years ago to London. Hours of traffic on the roads also lead to a shortened amount of time for the tour. If all you want is a tiny taste to see if you might want to back sometime and see it for real then do it, otherwise save your money for a real trip to Paris.

I guess I better look for another tour.....it's back to the ship tours for me?

Have you looked at the regular board to see if there is space on any private tours there? We have done this many times and always had a good time. We plan to wait until we are there and see what the weather is like. We will figure out then where to go and what to see. You can often find local tour companies at the pier that will do the same tours as the ship for less $$$ and with far fewer people. They know about getting people back to the ship on time. But if you tour some where closer to the ship it is not a problem. Honfleur, Etreate and other small towns along the coast are suppose to be very nice to see and what we will most likely do if the weather is good ie. not pouring rain!!

I have been on three other transatlantic cruises around this same time and it only rained once at sea on us...knock wood,,,,hoping this is the same...I need to call celebrity and see if i can cancel a tour once i already booked it....I tried to talk with choice air and maybe fly a few days earlier into paris and ten maybe just meet the ship there ...but i got such a low rate on air to london, they won;t cooperate....not sure what to do...i really want to see Paris.....thought about the tour that just drops you off but I get lost going downstairs to the kitchen so probably not for me....See everybody on board....

Hello all,

I just decided to book this cruise at the last minute (well, today). My partner Rito has a major project at work, so I will be "almost solo". My mother was previously booked on this cruise and the one before and after this one. This will be the only one for me. So, while we'll not be sharing a room (saints be praised), I will have parental supervision.

Oddly enough Howard, who started this thread was on the Constellation's Eastbound TA last Spring with Rito and I, so this will be something of a "reunion cruise".

I look forward to meeting everyone.

Harris

Denver, CO

Welcome aboard Harris, how nice to know you too will be onboard. I'm sorry to hear that Rito won't be joining you, but I'm sure your mom will more than make up for it. Is she too an "Elite"? I suppose we'll be back at our regular table for cocktails? Can't wait to re-meet all the wonderful staff on board the "Connie".

Howard in record breaking cold Fort Lauderdale

how is everybody doing...i looked at the celebrity site and it appears that the ship is almost sold out. I guess great news for celebrity. Does anybody know if there is a perisan gardens on this ship...the transatlantic that i took on the millie had a T pool and the gardens. was hopimg there was a t pool and gardens on the connie. Also looking into a cruise for the pacific northwest on century ....has anybody been on that ship? Oh welcome harris to the ship...

Hi all, for those in the aftermath of Sandy, we hope all are OK. We are also in a toss-up over going to Paris. After reading the posts above, we are reconsidering our options, although we too have never been and have always wanted to take it in. We know the pitfalls of trying to see a city of this stature and size in short order, but we thought even if we could take in just a few sights (and some Parisian cuisine) it might be worth braving the bus ride there and back. Are we being too hopeful? Perhaps, but if we never make it back for some reason, would we be able to forgive ourselves for coming this close to the "City of Light" deciding to close our eyes? This is a tough one...

Rito and I took the train from La Harve to Paris last spring. The train is the way to go, as it's faster and less expensive than Celebrity's bus excursion. You can get your train tickets in advance, on line. The train station puts you with about 3 metro stops of all the famous sites, so when you get to Paris, simply buy a day pass for the Metro, and they will give you a map.

We had an advantage having been before, so we knew what we wanted to do, and what we weren't going to spend time on. We had plenty of time to do what we wanted, have lunch, and were still back at the train station with time to spare.

Harris

Denver, CO

Welcome aboard Harris, how nice to know you too will be onboard. I'm sorry to hear that Rito won't be joining you, but I'm sure your mom will more than make up for it. Is she too an "Elite"? I suppose we'll be back at our regular table for cocktails? Can't wait to re-meet all the wonderful staff on board the "Connie".

Howard in record breaking cold Fort Lauderdale

Howard, I expect she'll be joining us each afternoon. Can you email me please at: omeinv at comcast dot net

Thanks,

Harris

Rito and I took the train from La Harve to Paris last spring. The train is the way to go, as it's faster and less expensive than Celebrity's bus excursion. You can get your train tickets in advance, on line. The train station puts you with about 3 metro stops of all the famous sites, so when you get to Paris, simply buy a day pass for the Metro, and they will give you a map.

We had an advantage having been before, so we knew what we wanted to do, and what we weren't going to spend time on. We had plenty of time to do what we wanted, have

lunch, and were still back at the train station with time to

spare.

Harris

Denver, CO

Having spent a month or more in Paris for several years you should be aware that Metro and Rail stikes are common. Several times we would take a train to somewhere only to get there, enjoy the day but find ourselves figuring out how to get back by bus or taxi since an unannouced strike would happen in the afternoon.

Having spent a month or more in Paris for several years you should be aware that Metro and Rail stikes are common. Several times we would take a train to somewhere only to get there, enjoy the day but find ourselves figuring out how to get back by bus or taxi since an unannouced strike would happen in the afternoon.

Strikes are common enough in all of Europe (Italy seems to be the best place to find them). However, they usually are actually publicized in advance, and I wouldn't let that threat keep me from taking the train to Paris.

Harris

Denver, CO

Hi all, for those in the aftermath of Sandy, we hope all are OK. We are also in a toss-up over going to Paris. After reading the posts above, we are reconsidering our options, although we too have never been and have always wanted to take it in. We know the pitfalls of trying to see a city of this stature and size in short order, but we thought even if we could take in just a few sights (and some Parisian cuisine) it might be worth braving the bus ride there and back. Are we being too hopeful? Perhaps, but if we never make it back for some reason, would we be able to forgive ourselves for coming this close to the "City of Light" deciding to close our eyes? This is a tough one...

Hi All,

Gregg and Bruce belatedly checking in. We are the mysterious pair that Vindan referred to earlier, having met on a Rome-Ft. Lauderdale T/A last fall. We just arrived back at our winter home in Dallas, after a great summer in the Olympic Peninsula of Washington. This will be our fourth T/A, the second on Celebrity.

We signed up for Select dining, which included prepaid gratuities, so will probably not be joining the group table for late dining. We have loved the flexibility of Select dining in the past on other ships. Of course, that also means a flexible happy hour ....

As for the question of whether it makes sense to try to capture Paris in a day-trip, the answer is obviously, "no." But even a little bit of Paris is worth the effort. We spent four nights there this spring after a T/A on Azamara and would return in a second. In fact, we thought seriously about flying into Paris rather than London for this cruise. If you guys have any flexibility on flghts/time, you might consider flying into Paris and taking the chunnel train into London and then on to Southampton for the cruise.

Meanwhile, we look forward to meeting you all in just a few weeks.

Hello and welcome aboard "ghdallas". I too would like to add my 2 cents worth with regards to Paris. If there was nothing to see in "LeHavre" or nearby then yes ok Paris even for a short visit is better than nothing. But, there are several small towns nearby and well worth a visit. I personnaly love going to "Honfluer" which is about 20 minutes from the port and a great place to have "Moule and Frites". Just saying. It's easy to get a driver to bring you there and then come back for you when ever you want. I do however like the idea of flying into Paris and taking the "Chunnel" to connect to Southampton or go to london after Paris for a bit. It only take a little extra cash, ok a lot extra cash.

Looking forward to seeing everyone on board in just a couple of weeks now.

Howard in beyond beautiful weather in Fort Lauderdale

PS: I know several people that were affected by the storm. I wish to also add my well wishes to anyone here that was affected.

Just wondering how Alfred and David are doing in NYC? Haven't heard from you in a while. Hope you guys are OK. I can imagine it has been tough. It is very strange to be in hurricane country Florida and seeing all the damage in NY, NJ etc.

Just wondering how Alfred and David are doing in NYC? Haven't heard from you in a while. Hope you guys are OK. I can imagine it has been tough. It is very strange to be in hurricane country Florida and seeing all the damage in NY, NJ etc.

We are doing good. I lost electricity for a few days but no flooding since we are not on the water. It's a disaster around us but only minor problems like no gas, trees down, roads closed, and spotty cell reception.

Thank goodness for this cruise to look forward to and thank you for asking:)

Glad to see the message board growing!!

Hello all, just wanted to suggest that we, like the main board, might like to meet up in London for perhaps a lunch or pre-theater dinner? I hadn't thought about this before as I'm getting in so early. Would anyone like to meet up on either the 26th or 27th? I am getting into LHR at 705AM and taking the "coach" to Victoria and my hotel and then off to explore. What's everyone else up too?

Howard from bright and gorgeous Fort Lauderdale

Hello all, just wanted to suggest that we, like the main board, might like to meet up in London for perhaps a lunch or pre-theater dinner? I hadn't thought about this before as I'm getting in so early. Would anyone like to meet up on either the 26th or 27th? I am getting into LHR at 705AM and taking the "coach" to Victoria and my hotel and then off to explore. What's everyone else up too?

Howard from bright and gorgeous Fort Lauderdale

David and I arrive 8:00am on 11/30 so have to pass on the great invitation. :(

Thank you for the thought and I hope others will be able to join you both.

We are just getting over the blizzard here in NYC. Thinking of this cruise is the only thing keeping me going.

I have bought the liquor package for the cabin and a soda package and they work out pretty good on the Century going to Hawaii before. So did the same on this trip also. Good to hear that the ship is nice. Century was wonderful! We are looking forward to be on this ship for the long cruise. :)

Great news! Celebrity is giving a promotional discount of 10% off the drink package after 11/12. :)

You can cancel your package up to 4 days before the cruise and order again at the discounted price.

I ordered the classic alcohol package so may just go for the premium given the price drop.

Here is the site to celebrities announcement:

http://www.celebritycruises.com/genericHtmlTemplate.do?ICID=CEL_12Q2_HPAB1_Beverage_PkgSale&pagename=beverage_promotion

Here is the weather forecast for our departure day:

Fri, Nov 30 London UK

Partly sunny & Cool. High = 48°F Low = 39°F wind 5 mph / SW Chance of precipitation = 5%

Fri 30 Nov 2012 Southampton UK

Partly sunny & Cool. 46 degrees wind = 34 mph to 40 mph no rain

Can they possibly be right this far in advance. I hope their forcasters are better than here in Florida. They can't even look out the window and get the forcast right. In any event it will be what it will be. Nice to get a break from life!

We are now seven for late dining. I have confirmed this with my travel agent Judy. Her company is sending her on this cruise as an Ambassador so everything should be set. She has sent in our request to Celebrity and will reconfirm with them two weeks before the cruise.

If there are more folks out there who would like to join us please speak up.

Thanks again for setting up the FOD table.

I wonder if any of the recent additions to boards want to join us?

Has Judy made final confirmation? I look forward to having our own table.:)

Cheers everyone, we are so close to embarkation!!

Time to pack. We leave on Tuesday morning to head to Miami. Have lunch with a friend in Fort Lauderdale then park the car near the port and get a shuttle to the airport. Our flight is at 9:20pm.

I have not heard anything from Judy I will send her a note but assume all is OK.

Pack, pack iron and pack. Everything is pretty much set. Looking forward to the break from real life. Hope the Noro thing is pretty much over but we are bringing the wipe and stuff noted on the other board just to be safe. We have never gotten sick but have run into it on two other cruises. Best to be safe then sorry and locked up in your cabin.

Looking forward to meeting everyone on the Connie. Cocktails 7ish in the Martini??!!

Archived