Dubrovnik - Private Tour Companies

I have searched through the Dubrovnik Questions thread and couldn't find any recommendations for a specific company to book a city / panoramic tour with.

Can anyone recommend a company or do I just get of the ship and ask the taxi cabs that are around? We are a group of 6 so I prefer to pre-arrange.

I have searched through the Dubrovnik Questions thread and couldn't find any recommendations for a specific company to book a city / panoramic tour with.

Can anyone recommend a company or do I just get of the ship and ask the taxi cabs that are around? We are a group of 6 so I prefer to pre-arrange.

As a local resident, I cannot recommend any specific tour companies as per rules of cruise critic. You may need to do a google search for private taxis online to find a firm to prearrange a panorama tour.

Dubrovnik, take the shuttle from port into town and it drops you off right in the Old town. Dubrovnik was my favorite stop on our trip. Beautiful city, clean, nice people, just amazing. Plenty to see and do from the Shuttle drop off. Enough to fill two days. Walking around the Old Town is 'the thing to do.' Its even an excursion, lol. There are places by the water in Old Town where you can get a 45 minute boat tour for REALLY cheap, you can take 500+ amazing photos on this boat. There is also a very affordable Bus Tour that awaits at the Shuttle stop.

Don't bother with a tour in Dubrovnik. Great DIY port.

As I often read on cruise critic, many claim Dubrovnik is a DIY port. Of course being a local resident, I strongly disagree. Those who just wander the old part of town miss the hidden gems, such as the Rupe Museum. They never venture off the Stradun, main promenade, hardly ever visit the far eastern side of town which we call Ploce. So I stand by my convection that those who do not bother to hire a guide only "see" Dubrovnik and never discover or hear of the spirit of this town. History goes back to 700AD, ruins are there to show a Greek colony from early days. Missing out on how the town survived the 1991 homeland war makes me sad. Only 20 years ago, Dubrovnik was being shelled and during those times, many of our residents were on the roof tops trying to save their homes. The history, culture and many stories only a private guide can share are numerous, a shame to miss discovering Dubrovnik.

As for the bus tour, that would be the Carbio bus which is a 2 hour sightseeing tour of the outlying areas of Dubrovnik. They have audio guides in 10 different languages, English is one, fee is only 50 Kuna this season and that is a bargain.

Dubrovnik is also not cheap, it is the most expensive town on the Dalmatian Coast. That being said, our prices are less expensive than those of other countries in Europe, yes that part is true.

Please excuse my rant, but I wonder why so many arriving guests do not research more about this fantastic town and find a suitable tour for their particular wishes. Please do keep in mind that I have been living here now for 4+ years and I know my advise is accurate. I would also venture to say, I do know more than guests who have spent a mere 4 to 6 hours wandering around the town.

http://libertasdubrovnik.hr/cabriobus.jpg

Edited by Dubrovniktravelady

We plan on returning to Dubrovnik someday as a seperate vacation as we loved it so much, I don't want you to think that I disliked the city.

A European Cruise vacation is something we saved for 2 years for and still accumulated a large debt that we'll be paying for another 2 or 3 years. It was very expensive for my income level but it is something we have always wanted to do.

So, when we booked excursions, we took alot into consideration. For example, Dubrovnik was our shortest length of stay in port. We didn't feel we could get as good of value during a short stay in Croatia vs. 12 hours in Rome. Also, the port in Rome is quite a travel from the sites, in Dubrovnik its a short drive into a wonderful town. We wanted to go to both Pisa and Florence, not easy for DIY if you want to cover alot. Too much travel.

Don't take it as an insult that people call it a DIY port. Its DIY for its convience that it offers due to location. Its DIY for its stunning beauty by merely walking around. Its DIY because other ports are almost mandatory for excursions and some of us can't afford an excursion at every port. Its, DIY because on many itineraries its a shorter stop.

I came back with more souviners and more pictures from Dubrovnik than any other port. I loved it and we did it DIY. We left wanting more. Its a beautiful city. But don't think because we call it a DIY port means that its not a special place.

• 1 year later...

We just returned from Dubrovnik on a 12 day Ruby Princess cruise. The HIGHLIGHT of our trip was our guide "Luka Car". He picked us up at the pier and off we went for the best day of sightseeing we ever had. I wanted the view from the top so we drove up to SRD Mountain and saw our ship from the highest point around. Our guide not only took pictures of us with our cameras, he also brought a camera and as a lagniappe he sent us photos we didn't have once we returned home. I only had this experience once before in the Caribbean. What a TREAT!!!

Next we were of to Trsteno to see the Arboretum our guide was intimately familiar with. He was almost married at this location. We walked around and saw the sites and he even demonstrated how an old olive oil press was used in the olden days. He took care to keep the pace right for one in our group who walked with a cane and even though none of us were plant/tree people before, we left loving the day. Before we went inside while looking at some very old trees, our guide got us a sample of Carob being loaded on a truck.

Next we were off to a PRIVATE wine tasting at the Milos vineyard, where the son of the owner gave us a tour and then sat us down at this huge pine table for a delicious wine tasting. This was an experience we will never forget - no rush and just a lovely time.

Our next stop was the town of STON where we saw how salt was mined before walking through the lovely old town. A stop in a local bakery for some delicious breads before spending time in this lovely town.

All along the way we were informed about everything we wanted to know. Our guide was kind, intelligent, knowledgeable, and had experience working with cruise ship passengers while working on cruise ships in the past.

Our stop in Miliston for an oyster lunch with local made wine was incredible. We picked which oysters we wanted at a take out type place and sat outside and enjoyed. Our guide knew everyone. We saw the old STON walls, 2nd largest in the world only to the Great Wall of China.

Did I mention we were greeted with a map of the old town as I wanted to explore that after our half day tour. The cost was quite reasonable and our guide is now a friend for life. We look forward to hearing more about the upcoming birth of his first child and spending more time with him when we return.

he can be reached at flavors dot of dot Dubrovnik at Hotmail dot com

You will not be sorry. Feel free to contact me for any additional info or photos. We are still talking about this day