(Disability?) Question about Embarking/Disembarking?

waterpyro

I've got a quick question about getting on/off of the ship. Whenever I stand, my feet hurt a lot. The more I stand still, the more they hurt. Walking around actually makes them feel better.

I'm not sure what's causing it, but is there any way that I can make getting on/off the ship less painful? I'm trying to see doctors to figure out what's wrong exactly, but at the moment there's no diagnosis.

Is there an expedited line for people with issues like mine? Or would I just need to bring on of those fold up camping chairs with me and sit when necessary?

there is no expedited line to get off. .there is a HC line to board first you can request when you get to the port.

We have had all kinds of experiences with disembarkation. My sister brought a friend with a walker .. but they both decided they wanted wheelchair assitance to get off .. I couldnt really hand all three of our suitcases.

One time .. we had to wait for our number to be called .. wheelchairs regular order.. and we had a higher number like 27 of 32.. we didnt make it off until after 1 pm.

another time we just wanted to wait with the HC and those in wheelchairs, the HC, .. this time .. they were running late and decided all those who needed assistance who were regular disembarkation .. not self disembarkation like we were .. got to use every elevator on the deck, and they told us if we could not walk down 7 flights of stairs, too bad .. they were doing the wheelchairs first .. and their closest 50 friends on the bus... I missed a dental appointment... instead of being off by 8 am .. I was off at 11 am, almost last off the ship, the last got off at 11:30 and we were self disembarkation, but the stupid people on ecstasy would not let us use the elevators .. many missed their flights.

they are never consistent and seem poorly trained and just want to do what is best for them to get the wheelchairs to those who need to board ..tough luck if you cannot do stairs.

I too have the same problem. I have seen but not yet bought a cane with a seat attached. The seat folds up so it's easy to get around. I know u nor I need a cane but having it with a seat might help? Also people will see the cane and it might make it easier for u to get a seat if all are taken.

I've got a quick question about getting on/off of the ship. Whenever I stand, my feet hurt a lot. The more I stand still, the more they hurt. Walking around actually makes them feel better.

I'm not sure what's causing it, but is there any way that I can make getting on/off the ship less painful? I'm trying to see doctors to figure out what's wrong exactly, but at the moment there's no diagnosis.

Is there an expedited line for people with issues like mine? Or would I just need to bring on of those fold up camping chairs with me and sit when necessary?

My first question would be is this a serious question. When is your cruise?

If serious, something like this would seem to be one solution

http://www.magellans.com/store/Health___Hygiene___Walking_AidsWA222

I know this isn't what you're asking, but I really want to tell you this. I had a similar painful condition. I hurt for years, and I finally figured out the problem at the beginning of this year. Since starting this new approach, it's like I have a new life! I can finally do anything I want, and I don't live in pain anymore. I really, truly think you should consider this and look into it. I think your problem could be Tension Myotitis Syndrome (TMS), also known as Mind Body Syndrome. Basically what it means is that all the stresses, worry, and painful emotions that you've endured throughout your life have built up so much, that it is too painful for your conscious mind to recognize them. To distract yourself from the emotional pain, your mind creates physical pain in your body. It does this by reducing the amount of oxygen sent to that body part. Fortunately, this isn't causing any damage. It just hurts. To treat it, you need to recognize that this is happening and truly believe that you are strong and healthy. Then you start to do activities that have triggered pain for you in the past (such as standing, in your case). As you do this with a new healthy mindset, you realize you can do it without pain. Have you ever wondered why it hurts you to stand and not walk? That's because you associate pain with standing and not walking. At some point you were standing and started thinking about unpleasant thought, which created the pain. Since you hurt while standing, you assumed standing caused the pain. Anyway, if you want to know more you can ask me anything. I really suggest seeing a TMS doctor to see if this could be your case. I really think it could be. You can go to this website to learn more and find a doctor: http://www.unlearnyourpain.com/index.php?Other%20MBS%20Doctors

To answer your actual question, you can tell the cruise line ahead of time that you need wheelchair assistance to board and disembark the ship. When you arrive at the terminal, just tell someone you need wheelchair assistance and they will wheel you throughout the terminal. Then you don't have to stand in line. I did this for 2 cruises. However, since I now know about mind body syndrome, I was able to stand and walk myself during my last cruise!

Good luck! Let me know if you want to talk about it or have any questions.

Archived