Captain Marvin's Sting Ray

Cavscout

We scheduled our own excursion with Captain Marvin’s which was a very short walk up the sidewalk. Our excursion was at 8:00AM Cayman Time (CT). Our ship arrived at 7:00 AM Ship Time (ST). The time difference was not an issue. 7:00 AM (ST) is the same as 6:00 AM (CT). THIS IS THE IMPORTANT PART: Do not bother piggy backing with the Cruise Excursions to try and get off faster. While the cruise groups were gathering in their assembly areas we went down to the 3rd deck and the tenders were already running at 7:45 (ST)/ 6:45 (CT). We hopped the tender and were feet dry in about 10 minutes. Captain Marvin’s wasn’t even open when we got there at 7:00 AM (CT) so we sat on a sea wall looking at coral and sponge that had washed up. At 8:30 we boarded a bus with our Guide Carl, to Captain Marvin’s house where we boarded a boat with about 20 or 25 others and headed out to Sting Ray City. We were the 3rd boat on site and were able to stay away from the other crowds. This was truly a don’t miss. The rays are like big flat dogs. As the crowds picked up we rode the boat about 5 minutes west to Coral Gardens and saw some very nice coral and fish and the occasional sting ray and what looked like a small barracuda. We returned to the ship and to the bus then to Captain Marvin’s Shop at about 12:00 (ST). Because the ship left at 2:00 PM (ST) we opted to skip the shopping district to avoid the long tender lines we had heard about. We stepped right onto a tender and returned to the ship for an early lunch.

Ok, I do feel good about using Captain Marvin's, but here is the scary part - you got in at 7 ST, and it took 45 minutes for the tender to run.... we get in at 8:30 local time, and we have to be AT Captain Marvin's 45 min from then... 9:15. Does it really take 45 minutes before the tenders start running?

you got in at 7 ST, and it took 45 minutes for the tender to run.... we get in at 8:30 local time, and we have to be AT Captain Marvin's 45 min from then... 9:15. Does it really take 45 minutes before the tenders start running?

I'm not exactly sure when the tenders first started running. There was probably 1 or 2 maybe 3 or 4 that ran before we made it down to the gangway. Since you get in later they will probably be ready and waiting to start moving people.

Will Ship Time and Local Time be the same for your cruise? The time that Captain Marvin wants you there is 30 mins before your departure. You have about a 30 min. window to check in. If your trip is scheduled for 9:45 to 12:45 you will not leave his office until 9:45. Just make sure that what your considering 8:30 local time isn't actually 8:30 Ship Time but 7:30 Caymen Time.

We get in at 9:30 ship time, and I called Royal Caribbean, and that is 8:30 local time.... although I looked at the Cayman Island Port Authority web page, and it says we get there at 7.... so I don't know what the deal with that is.

They said they want us to meet at 9:15, but our trip doesn't actually start until 10. So I guess we have a little bit of a buffer there.

So how do we go about getting the first tender off our ship?

Thanks for your help!

I posted a similiar question and received this response on the RCCL board.

Hope this helps.

We were on the April 9 sailing of the Voyager. We were able to get off the ship very soon after they started tendering and had no problem getting to our independent shore excursion. We arrived at 8AM and were at the meeting place by 845AM, ship's time. The tenders are very large and things moved really quickly. They had two tenders running, from different doors of the ship. One for those with ship's shore excursions and one for independents. There were a number of other ships in port with us.

We get in at 9:30 ship time, and I called Royal Caribbean, and that is 8:30 local time.... although I looked at the Cayman Island Port Authority web page, and it says we get there at 7.... so I don't know what the deal with that is.

They said they want us to meet at 9:15, but our trip doesn't actually start until 10. So I guess we have a little bit of a buffer there.

So how do we go about getting the first tender off our ship?

Thanks for your help!

I would take your worst case scenario and work with that. If you do get in at 7:00 then you have a nice break. I'd say have breakfast and be ready to go waiting at the gangway no later than 9:30. That should get you on there quick.

The Captain or someone should tell you the day before when they expect to arrive in Grand Cayman. Captain Marvin's is a good company and they need you to be happy so they get more customers. I know it is easy for me to say since I've been there and this was my stress point also but it all worked out perfectly. You get in at 8:30 for a 10:00 excursion, just don't waist time and you'll be able to sit on the sea wall spreading sun screen like I did :) You can actually see our ship on the left side of the photo.

Sunscreen.JPG.f160005d2c473c92ceb1a5caca5c84ac.JPG

Hey Cavscout,

My new wife and I were sitting on the bow of the boat with you guys on 5/2. I had a great time with Captain Marvins and everything was very well organized. We left the ship on the tender about 8:15am ship time and thought we would be late for our 8:30am trip (it was 8:30am correct?). When we arrived at Captain Marvins, we found we were actually about an hour early (7:30am Cayman time) so we just walked to the nearby bakery and had breakfast (woke up late so did not have time on the ship) and also took some photos from that same spot you are sitting in the picture before leaving on the bus to the boat. Awesome trip and cruise and I hope you guys had a smooth return to Hotlanta.

Archived