A Flexible Day in Cozumel

Cavscout

Cozumel

We woke up at 7:30 and went to breakfast before heading to the forward deck to watch the ship dock. It was very nice. We watched the Holiday Dock Ahead of us. Because we were coming in next the holiday gangway was closed until we docked. Our schedule was to rent a jeep and drive to San Gervasio, then to the East side for lunch at Coconuts then back to the west side for more snorkeling and drinks at Paradise Beach. We strolled thru the path lined with shops and came to the row of Rental Agencies. There was Alamo, Hertz, Executive and probably a few more. The guy at Hertz wanted $70 usd for a jeep + Insurance. He dropped to 60 but still too much. We went next door to Executive and got the jeep for 40 us + Insurance for a total of $71.00 usd. The jeep was used and ran about as smooth as my wifes leggs in need of a harvest but it got us where we needed to go. We headed to San Gervasio first. I asked the Rental guy about the bypass mentioned on this site but he still gave me directions thru town. Probably for the best as they were easy to follow and aquainted me with the driving practices of the locales. WOW! We got to San Gervasio early and were one of two couples there. The total cost is about $10.25 usd but you have to pay it in two payments (locale and federal) It was something like $5.25 locale and $4.00 federal. They were used to tourists not having correct change and the clerk at the locale desk worked directly with the clerk at the federal desk (eliminating the stupid gringo, I mean middle man). The ruins here are very impressive considering I had no desire to see them. The signs describing the history are kind of general I thought but I love history so it let my imagination wander. This was a larger complex than I expected you can walk as much or as little as you want but there are some nice walks thru the jungle following the ancient roads. Iguannas and birds are everywhere and the bugs were not that bad since we were before the hot part of the day. Next we headed to the east for lunch. We cruised the east side of the island south to a small sandy parking lot with a sign that said “Coconuts Parking”. Pull in here and follow the steps cut into the stone up thru the palm trees. You pop out on a hill top with a straw roofed hut and a hanbful of tables. You can sit in the shade of the hut or on the edge of the cliff watching the waves crash against the rock below. Each table is surrounded by low growing palm trees so you feel very secluded and the crashing waves drown out the conversations of the other tables. George was our waiter. He brought us sodas and chips and salsa. The chips appeared to be locale made and the salsa was chunks of fresh tomatoes and peppers and onion. Salt was provided on the side. It was excellent. We ordered shrimp casadias. They were delicious by themselves but slip a little salsa in them and they really come alive. The bill came to $22.00 usd. The ambience, service and food in the states would cost closer to $100.00 so this was a bargain. George was very concientious and polite so take care of him.

We had planned to cruise around the southern tip of the island but nixed that to make sure we had time to snorkel and get to Paradise beach. We stopped at the shop on the corner near Mezcalitos just before tunring onto the cross island road. We had checked the prices on a few things as we left the pier so we had an idea of what we could get things for. The young men working there were anxious to make a sale but they were courteous. We haggled for a bit over a few trinkets and came to an agreement. We back tracked our route to San Miguel but on the way the sky began to look like rain so we skipped Dzul Ha and went straight to PB. To avoid traffic in San Miguel turn left at the large Conch Shell sculpture and follow this road. It will make a 90 deg curve to the right and in about 2 miles, bring you out right in front of the International Pier. Turn Left again and you are on the main road heading south to PB. As you proceed you will see a road sign pointing to an exit for Chanakab, Dzul Ha and several other places. If you want Dzul Ha take this exit other wise you will miss it. There are no other signs. You will however see several other signs for Chanakab.

As we pulled into Paradise Beach and the grounds were very scenic. The main building is beautifully constructed and decorated. We parked in the virtually empty parking lot and strolled thru the open air bar onto the beach. Plenty of chairs. A storm out in the channel had clouded up the water and the staff were quickly cleaning up the seaweed that was washing up but it was still a very scenic beach. We found a couple of chairs and ordered the “Large Pineapple” with a strawberry margarita $10.00. Delicious! Then we ordered a refill $6.00 of pina colada. Talk about creamy, delicious! We took some photos of the Parrots perched in the changing room transoms and enjoyed the hammocks. A storm began rolling up the channel and the staff began putting the floats away so we decided to get out of their way and try the El Cedral ruins just a short drive to the south. Their was a lot of traffic headed in the direction of the ruins but this was for a Festival happening in a small town on the way. The traffic was being routed in a very confusing way and as we didn’t know where we would end up we opted to turn around and head back to the boat and do a little shopping at the pier. We had used about ¼ tank of gas so we topped of the jeep before returning it. We wondered thru the shops and made our final purchases at Cinco Soles on the pier. They have a wide selection and the prices seemed reasonable even compared to the shops on the East side of the island. As we strolled back down the pier, onto the ship and thru security we passed many people heading back into town for a fiesta. We opted to stay on board and enjoy dinner with a view of the Cozumel Skyline.

great review! thanks for sharing with us.........

especially liked the humor thrown in here and there......:)

Cozumel

The jeep was used and ran about as smooth as my wifes leggs in need of a harvest but it got us where we needed to go. .

I'd love to have a chance. We are debating whether to cruise again or do an all-inclusive resort next time. It didn't take us long to get spoiled. Also, one of your staff may remember me, I was the one in the kilt last week. Seemed to really shock your female staff :) We did however enjoy our visit to PB. It was a great way to close our day!

• 3 weeks later...

Archived