QE2 10/4/05 Canary Islands - Advice?

samogirl

Hello!

Would like to tap into the vast experience of all you seasoned cruisers out there.

Has anyone experienced the Canary Island itineary aboard the QE2?

I am in the process of considering this particular cruise, and would love to hear any advice regarding the QE2 and these particular ports of call.

I noticed that there are no excursions offered on these ports of call- La Coruna, Funchal, Lanzarote, and Las Palmas. Does anyoe have info on these particular ports of call? (any Private tour operators, or points of interest?)

Also, since I have only cruised aboard RCI's Brilliance, and Monarch in the past, I am curious as to how an older ship such as the QE2 would compare in comfort?

Thank you,

Linda

I noticed that there are no excursions offered on these ports of call- La Coruna, Funchal, Lanzarote, and Las Palmas.

Linda,

That would surprise me - they make plenty of $$$ on excursions, So I would have thought there would be some. If not, Funchal is a pretty town & easy to walk around - take the cable car early, before the tour buses arrive - and try sampling the different Liquers in the Casa Touristica - which is actually better than it sounds. I last visited La Coruna on the SS Uganda a loooooong time ago - but we had a tour bus & I'm sure you will too. Las Palmas has pretty parts to its town centre - but also is a commercial city. Most of the tourists will be at the other end of the Island at Playa Del Ingles....which is about as Spanish as Berlin....

Also, since I have only cruised aboard RCI's Brilliance, and Monarch in the past, I am curious as to how an older ship such as the QE2 would compare in comfort?

She is completely different. Depending on the cabin you select, but in general you will find cabins smaller, but perfectly functional, and some Mauretania ones with odd layouts (to maxise the number of cabins with portholes they are alternately interlocking L & T shaped). Higher grade cabins (Caronia/Grills) have more regular shapes. The cabins have plenty of wardrobe/cupboard space. I would put Cunard food as a bit better than RCI, but this is obviously personal and subjective. There is only one way you will find out - try her, while she's still there! And if you do hit bumpy weather, there are few finer ships on the Oceans!

Thanks Peter for the great pointers.

I am comparing this particular canary island cruise to the Oct. 29th Cruise Critic Member cruise on HAL to Mediteranean. Still cannot decide, though!

I am comparing this particular canary island cruise to the Oct. 29th Cruise Critic Member cruise on HAL to Mediteranean. Still cannot decide, though!

Linda,

To an extent it is a bit like asking if you prefer apples to pears! The HAL ships will have (almost certainly) better cabins....but there is only one QE2...and she will be gone soon....you have decades of bragging rights ahead of you if you sail on the QE2!

Peter

Archived