New York Marriot Marquis booked through DCL

Broch

We are staying pre and post cruise in the New York Marriott Marquis. Anyone who has stayed in this hotel booked through Disney can you please tell me if you received any perks e.g. upgrade etc for booking through Disney. How were the rooms that you got. Any information would be most welcome. I am also a Marriotts Rewards member Thanks

You certainly won't get an upgrade simply for booking through Disney. If anything, I would think you'd be pretty far down on the complimentary upgrade list, because I suspect Disney gets a decent discount given the number of rooms they must fill up.

Also, being a Marriott Rewards member won't help for an upgrade unless you are an elite member, particularly Gold, Platinum, or Platinum Premier. Heck, even the silver level (which provides no upgrade benefit) only requires staying 10 nights a year in Marriott hotels. If you're just a base member, you are clearly demonstrating a lack of commitment/loyalty to the brand, so why would they upgrade you?

Your best chance is to ask politely when you check in what the cost would be to upgrade your room. Do some homework first on the types of upgraded rooms available and how much the hotel usually charges for them. If the price they quote is too high, you don't have to take it. And in the best case, a friendly front desk associate may decide to upgrade you for free. But if you go in with any sense of entitlement, asking for a free upgrade based on your Disney booking or Marriott Rewards membership, I suspect you'll find that all the upgraded rooms are "unavailable".

You certainly won't get an upgrade simply for booking through Disney. If anything, I would think you'd be pretty far down on the complimentary upgrade list, because I suspect Disney gets a decent discount given the number of rooms they must fill up.

Also, being a Marriott Rewards member won't help for an upgrade unless you are an elite member, particularly Gold, Platinum, or Platinum Premier. Heck, even the silver level (which provides no upgrade benefit) only requires staying 10 nights a year in Marriott hotels. If you're just a base member, you are clearly demonstrating a lack of commitment/loyalty to the brand, so why would they upgrade you?

Your best chance is to ask politely when you check in what the cost would be to upgrade your room. Do some homework first on the types of upgraded rooms available and how much the hotel usually charges for them. If the price they quote is too high, you don't have to take it. And in the best case, a friendly front desk associate may decide to upgrade you for free. But if you go in with any sense of entitlement, asking for a free upgrade based on your Disney booking or Marriott Rewards membership, I suspect you'll find that all the upgraded rooms are "unavailable".

I am not going to the hotel expecting anything. I booked through disney for convenience and because I got a package price. I have stayed many many times in MARRIOTT HOTELS but only in the UK and mainly in category 1-4. I also have free certificates but only for category 1-4, and the Marquis is a higher catagory. I a never expect anything, so forgive me for asking a simple question. For your information I have received many perks at Marriott hotels in the UK. In fact one hotel knows me very well and recognises my name before I arrive. I always treat people how I would expect to be treated myself. My question was directed to guests who have booked the hotel through Disney. I am grateful for any replies, but I find yours pretty offemsive. Sorry

We are staying pre and post cruise in the New York Marriott Marquis. Anyone who has stayed in this hotel booked through Disney can you please tell me if you received any perks e.g. upgrade etc for booking through Disney. How were the rooms that you got. Any information would be most welcome. I am also a Marriotts Rewards member Thanks

Excellent questions. The Marriott Marquis has an excellent Times Square location and is really a convention hotel. Very standard fare all around including the rooms etc. Nothing to surprise you in either in direction of quality. Take advantage of the location for such things as Ollie's Noodle Shop on W 44th Street which is right next store to the hotel, the deli's, and the pizza by the slice.

Excellent questions. The Marriott Marquis has an excellent Times Square location and is really a convention hotel. Very standard fare all around including the rooms etc. Nothing to surprise you in either in direction of quality. Take advantage of the location for such things as Ollie's Noodle Shop on W 44th Street which is right next store to the hotel, the deli's, and the pizza by the slice.

Thank you sounds good.

I wouldn't expect an upgrade for booking through DCL, you might get one if you qualify based on your status level with Marriott Rewards. Chances are the hotel doesn't have your rewards number on account because you booked through DCL, by all means present the card at check in and ask for it to be added to your account.

If you are Gold or higher you've got a chance at an upgrade, although it's not guaranteed, but you knew that. It can't hurt to ask.

Keep in mind that some group bookings don't earn you reward points, but if nothing else, depending on your status, you might get a perk like a welcome amenity or free Internet. Can't hurt to try--good luck.

I wouldn't expect an upgrade for booking through DCL, you might get one if you qualify based on your status level with Marriott Rewards. Chances are the hotel doesn't have your rewards number on account because you booked through DCL, by all means present the card at check in and ask for it to be added to your account.

If you are Gold or higher you've got a chance at an upgrade, although it's not guaranteed, but you knew that. It can't hurt to ask.

Keep in mind that some group bookings don't earn you reward points, but if nothing else, depending on your status, you might get a perk like a welcome amenity or free Internet. Can't hurt to try--good luck.

As you say it can't hurt to ask and thank you for your reply. the reason I asked is because of the business Disney is putting the Marriott's way. By booking through disney they do not give you the choice of rooms, in fact there is no choice at all so I will not know which type of room I will be getting until I get there because as you say my reservation is with DCL. As you kindly said I could show my card at check in and speak nicely and you never know what I might get. Once in Miami I booked through RCL and I did this at check in but I was aware at the time that I did not get the points/rewards but I gave the clerk my card to get all my details off it and he immediately said that I can give you a suite if you are prepared to wait a couple of hours and also a free breakfast, So here's to good luck and thank you for your good wishes.

As you say it can't hurt to ask and thank you for your reply. the reason I asked is because of the business Disney is putting the Marriott's way. By booking through disney they do not give you the choice of rooms, in fact there is no choice at all so I will not know which type of room I will be getting until I get there because as you say my reservation is with DCL. As you kindly said I could show my card at check in and speak nicely and you never know what I might get. Once in Miami I booked through RCL and I did this at check in but I was aware at the time that I did not get the points/rewards but I gave the clerk my card to get all my details off it and he immediately said that I can give you a suite if you are prepared to wait a couple of hours and also a free breakfast, So here's to good luck and thank you for your good wishes.

In the big picture I don't think DCL is putting much business through that hotel. It's a huge hotel (almost 2000 rooms) and the majority of people cruising the NYC sailings are "locals" who can drive or take some form of public transit to the port the day of sailing. My guess is that the percentage of rooms booked through DCL is rather small and inconsequential to that hotel.

Instead of looking for an "upgrade" I would ask for the view you'd like and the type of floor you'd like. In other words you'd like a quiet room on a lower floor (although I think the sleeping rooms start around the 10th floor there) or a room overlooking Times Square on a higher floor or a "Southern view" away from the elevators, etc.

If you are a Gold member or above, by all means ask for an upgrade to an executive floor and/or breakfast coupons. Keep in mind that upgrades to suites are very seldom given--even for platinum's. Generally the only reason you'll be upgraded to a suite is if the hotel is oversold and they need to free up standard rooms.

In the big picture I don't think DCL is putting much business through that hotel. It's a huge hotel (almost 2000 rooms) and the majority of people cruising the NYC sailings are "locals" who can drive or take some form of public transit to the port the day of sailing. My guess is that the percentage of rooms booked through DCL is rather small and inconsequential to that hotel.

Instead of looking for an "upgrade" I would ask for the view you'd like and the type of floor you'd like. In other words you'd like a quiet room on a lower floor (although I think the sleeping rooms start around the 10th floor there) or a room overlooking Times Square on a higher floor or a "Southern view" away from the elevators, etc.

If you are a Gold member or above, by all means ask for an upgrade to an executive floor and/or breakfast coupons. Keep in mind that upgrades to suites are very seldom given--even for platinum's. Generally the only reason you'll be upgraded to a suite is if the hotel is oversold and they need to free up standard rooms.

Thanks again, Yes that is what I thought the best to expect when I said upgrade I should have said from a standard room to a Times Square room, bur hopefully when I give them my Gold membership card they will acknowledge it and give something but if not we will still be happy with a room there. Your help and comments are much appreciated.

Archived