Star Clipper Transatlantic from Las Palmas Questions

Simonthesailor

We have just booked for the Nov Transatlantic trip to St Maarten and would appreciate any comments or tips on how to get maximum enjoyment, from those with previous experience of a Transat (we have the trip a few times -Windstar, big cruise ships &, err, our own small sailboat.) But we have not sailed with Star Clippers before.

And a few questions:

Are the ships normally full for this one?

Presumably we can expect some good Tradewind sailing?

Are the bar/wine prices reasonable?

Is regular access to the bridge permitted or is it just occasionally?

Can you visit the machinery spaces?

And is anyone else on this one?

Many thanks in anticipation!

We have been on the Star Clipper 3 times, in the Med, and on the Royal Clipper several times (Med and Caribbean), although we have not done the TA. To respond to some of your questions - bar and wine prices are reasonable, maybe try the Starclippers house wine (they have a red and a white) which we like. Part of the bridge is "open" (i.e. outdoors) and you can circulate/sit on that at virtually any time (except, for example, when there is a Pilot on board). For the internal/enclosed part of the bridge passengers are welcome there following a courteous "may I come in?". There will probably be a conducted tour of the engine/machinery room. The sail raising "machinery" - winches etc - is with you on deck.

As you are "yachties" (like us) you will love the Star Clipper and probably meet some very interesting fellow passengers and, maybe, make some new friends (we have). Relax and go with the flow. Good luck and have a great holiday.

We've done the transatlantic on the Royal twice. Are doing it this year on the Star Flyer.

1. Cruise is not usually full. Last time we did it there were 94 passengers.

2. Usually there is good sailing, but we all know that's in the hands of mother nature.

3. Bar/wine prices are very reasonable. If you're a wine drinker you can get a bottle with your name on it kept at the tropical bar. House wine (which is very good) was about $15 a bottle. Even by the drink it's only about $6 per drink.

4. There is almost always access to the bridge except when approaching or departing port. One of the most fun things I've done on the transatlantic is to take the nautical sailing class which is held on the bridge. Excellent.

5. There is one tour of the machine room during the cruise.

Have a fabulous time!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Belated thanks KathyA - been away small boat sailing (cold and wet!)

Simon

Hi Simon...Welcome aboard! The answers to your questions were 'spot on'...

Please check out the original thread for this voyage, for additional info and photos ...

I've done TA's on an aircraft carrier, and we've crossed a half-dozen times on QM2...but this will be our first TA on a Clipper. I did "cross" from Panama to Tahiti with 36 other hardy, working, passenger/'crew' to reposition Star Flyer to the South Pacific.

As a sailor, I believe that you will love Star Clipper. Twice, when they used to race SC in the Antigua Regatta, we worked as sail wranglers (no electric winches allowed!)...and she is a fine seaworthy boat!

See you on both threads...and in Las Palmas! :cool:

Cheers,

Bob & Beatrice Ring

• 2 weeks later...

Archived