Blackbeards castle?

cmhighto

The tour of the property was interesting, but I was disappointed that it was a hotel and there was not a castle. There was a tower with a great view though. got some great pictures. It seems that no one was really sure if Blackbeard even stayed there. It was not quite what I had expected, but like I said the tower provided great photo ops. I was there in Jan 2005

Right, as Catladytx said Blackbeards is not a castle. It is a tower and it wasn't built by Blackbeard the pirate - that is myth. The tower was built by the Danish West India Company as part of their defensive system in protecting the Charlotte Amalie Harbor back when their settlement was first being built (1600s). The tower worked together with Fort Christian and Bluebeards Castle (another look out tower that gained a pirate's named). The early governors of the Danish colony were said to have been friendly to pirates, allowing them to come into the harbor to sell their stolen property and to fix their ships; of consequence pirate truth and ultimately pirate myth abounds. Later governors tried to clean up the friendliness to pirates by not allowing them entry in an effort to make the harbor develop with legitimate trade.

History lesson over... :)

--Islander

http://www.*****

• 2 weeks later...
Is is worth going to Blackbirds castle or is it a waste of time?

We went.....wouldn't go again. $12 each (6 of us) to see a little tower, some pirate statues and a house full of antiques that had nothing to do with pirates. Wish we had done something better with our time!!

• 6 months later...

Just returned from St. Thomas and went to see Blackbeards castle. When we were in St. Thomas a few years ago (4) you could visit the castle for free. Now it has become a tour of 4 or 5 little houses and cost $14.00 per person.

In my opinion not worth it. It was barely worth it to see Blackbeards castle for free. You do get great pictures though.

• 8 months later...

Hello Crusin again,

The Statue of Liberty is wayyyyy bigger, taller, wider than Blackbeards Tower. Blackbeards & Bluebeards are small towers. You can see a photo of Blackbeards at http://www.*****/stthomas/attractions_stt/attractions_town2.php.

I think jwitt2 meant that the walk up from downtown, up the 99 steps and then to Blackbeards is hot and not the actual short climb within the tower itself.

--Islander

http://www.*****

Hello Crusin again, I think jwitt2 meant that the walk up from downtown, up the 99 steps and then to Blackbeards is hot and not the actual short climb within the tower itself.

--Islander

www.*****

Thanks, Islander! Is there a way to get to the tower without walking up the 99 steps??? That would cause a MAJOR meltdown for him! Thanks!

Archived