Crew Flirting with Passengers

We don't usually see our head waiter until the last night.

You're lucky - ours never even bothered to acknowledge us on Grandeur last week. Perhaps because we were MTD and he knew he was getting his tip. I'm kicking myself for not putting a comment on the feedback card - he spent the whole week scowling and chastising the (wonderful) waiters who were constantly rushed off their feet.

Actually, I experienced flirting by the head waiter just the other week. Every time when I was in the main dining room, I was welcomed by him with a 'hello beauty' and a wink. I found one remark that he made on the last day rather awkward. He let his eyes run over my entire body and asked me what exercise I did. I wasn't dure what he meant and he explained that he wanted to know what I did to keep my body in such a good shape and so good-looking. Just for you to know: I'm in a wheelchair and don't exercise at all :D

I'm not sure whether he wanted to make me feel good about myself despite the wheelchair (not necessary!) or if this was real flirting, but it made me feel quite uncomfortable.

That was creepy and unnecessary! I am sure you would have preferred a happy smile and "good evening Ms. Dayspring." Hopefully his borderline creepy guy stuff never gets him in real trouble.

Well, this was way back in the stone ages of cruising but I was on a Costa Cruise in 1981 and I was with a big group of young travel agents-I was 21 but some of the other girls were only 18 or 19. A couple of the young girls actually spent the night in the crew quarters. I was pretty shocked, not at the sex part of it, but that they actually managed to get passengers to their quarters and risked their jobs for sex. The girls were old enough and not shy virginal types so the rest of us just let it go.

Also speaking of flirting with the crew, I have a couple of darling pictures of my 18 year old self and my friends having drinks in a Nassau hotel bar with the Italian crew off of a Costa ship. We were staying at the hotel and one night all these cuties walked in. It was 1978 and the Bahamas were seriously into disco. We had a great time-totally unforgettable. I am so glad I have the pictures.

It happens more often then you would think...I know of two people that married crew members...I've seen the flirting first hand, usually if you let them know you're not interested they leave you alone...

Archived