Just off Musica - any questions

Skintman

Hi skintman

I'm doing the same itinerary as you in September. Can you please tell me if any of the ports were tenders?

Also looking for a bit in for on some of the ports, if you don't mind. In Corfu and Santorini are you able to just walk in to town or would I need to get a taxi if I wanted to explore on my own?

In Mykonos was there anything open other than bars and nightclubs?

Finally, don't fancy going in to Athens, so am interested in what's in and around Piraeus?

Any info you can provide will be much appreciated.

Thanks for the offer Skintman,

would love to see a full review of the cruise as we are travelling on Musica in August. However would be interested as to what you thought were the good and not so good bits.......................please don't say you don't get water at dinner because if that's all people have to complain about then i will be one happy man. We have the £20 per day Allegrissimo package and was wondering if this is a good a deal as it first appears. We are really looking forward to the holiday and hope you enjoyed yours, cheers Paul T(Leeds)

Hi AmoModo

My review has lots of detail.

We did this -

Bari - MSC shuttle bus to town - E6 each return

Katakolon - 2 min walk to town

Santorini - tender then E8 each return cable car

Mykonos - MSC shuttle bus E9 each return

Corfu - MSC shuttle bus E8 each return

Dubrovnik - MSC shuttle bus E10 each return

We found the MSC shuttle buses to be excellent. Collected from the gangway by aircon coach and dropped in the town centre and at a good price.

You are in Mykonos for the evening. Most things are open - shops bars etc. It is a nice whitewashed old town to wander around. That's all we did and an Ouzo drink by the sea of course!!

We did not get off the ship at Athens - we've been a few times before and have done all the sights. So we enjoyed the quietness. Not much in Piraeus I don't think.

Hi Loppy

Good points - virtually everything. We just cannot understand how people can moan so much - were we on a different cruise? I expect that staff levels have been trimmed, but you can hardly blame them considering the economic situation and the great prices offered currently.

Bad - too many children for our liking. We have our own kids (well men now), but MSC give free child places to under 18's sharing a cabin with paying parents. That's free food and entertainment!! No wonder lots of children on board. It was generally fine and they were well behaved, but the buffet and pools at peak times were busy. So we did not use the pool at all and avoided the buffet at peak times. Those without kids are subsidising the rest. :eek::eek:

Neil

Hi Loppy

We never saw the Allegrissimo package offered. We had the wine package E115 for 6 bottles plus 7 water and the water package E26 for 14 water. All waters were 1 Litre.

It looks a good deal - I assume it is "all inclusive" :D

Good morning Skintman and any others with info to share.

You mention you found the MSC shuttle buses to be excellent. Did you find out MSC would be offering shuttle buses before you boarded the ship? We are on the Lirica in August around the British Isles and would love the option of using a shuttle bus in some of the ports. At this time I don't find any information from MSC about the availability of shuttle buses, only their excursions are shown.

It would be great to know before boarding, and perhaps signing up for an excursion, if we had the option of a shuttle bus and then being able to tour on our own, which we most prefer.

Thanks to you and anyone with information about MSC shuttle buses -- 2travelcats

Good morning Skintman and any others with info to share.

You mention you found the MSC shuttle buses to be excellent. Did you find out MSC would be offering shuttle buses before you boarded the ship? We are on the Lirica in August around the British Isles and would love the option of using a shuttle bus in some of the ports. At this time I don't find any information from MSC about the availability of shuttle buses, only their excursions are shown.

It would be great to know before boarding, and perhaps signing up for an excursion, if we had the option of a shuttle bus and then being able to tour on our own, which we most prefer.

Thanks to you and anyone with information about MSC shuttle buses -- 2travelcats

Unfortunately they only tell you if there is going to be a shuttle bus the day before in the daily programme. I'd try speaking to the staff on the tour desk when you arrive, as they should know.

Hi, Thanks for that Skintman,

Yes the Allegrissimo is nearly all inclusive ....... doesn't include the minibar or premium brands however does cover everything i'm likely to drink:p. it also covers ice creams in cones or cups aswell as coffees/fresh orange juice etc.

We did not know about the shuttle buses before we boarded. Certainly no need to book them - there are loads of buses waiting. We bought our ticket at the end of the gangway for most ports (you just use your ship card). The only port where we could not buy at end of gangway was Dubrovnik, where we had to buy a ticket on the day from travel on deck 6.

We were very impressed with the shuttles. Sliock service, good value and took us direct to the town centres. Perfect solution for those that just want to wander around the towns under their own steam. they pick you up where they have dropped you off - MSC flags and staff to guide you.

I suspect they are being introduced as less are taking full excursions in tthe recession, so this hepls passengers get to the town centres and is some revenue for MSC.

Neil

Thanks loppy - I try to give the info that I would like to know.

I always surprises me when I write a review on Trip Advisor, that some people will say the resort was terrible, yet we found it fine. Some people are just unrealistic when travelling. They expect perfection. They want to be treated like royalty, but pay the lowest price possible. There is always a trade off between price and quality.

We found MSC to be on a par with other ships that we have sailed on before. We liked the cruise, just too many children for us, but it did not spoil our experience - we're glass half full people.

There was a Swiss lady on the next table in the MDR, who vehemently complained about everything to anyone who would listen!! Some people are never happy. Well we liked it and loved the keen prices.

Happy and safe travels.:)

Hi Skintman - I'd like to congratulate you on an excellent, informative review packed with really useful information.

It's likely we will be following pretty much in your footsteps this September.

We have made several cruises mostly from North Amercian type companies. It's our first time with MSC as the itinerary appeals, and we are always happy to try something a little different.

There are two formal evenings and just wondered what was the norm for attire. My OH would ordinarily wear a DJ but it seems that might be very much in the minority. He generally prefers to blend in with the majority approach .Do you have any observations on what might be most appropriate ?

Wee Jenny

Hi weejenny

I saw only a very few gents in DJ's. Many wore a jacket, some in suites and some with ties. Most just dressed as normal for the MDR.

I wore a white striped linen jacket with linen shirt (tucked in) and no tie - looked rather dapper I thought!!:D I'd say smart casual was the norm.

Mrs skintwoman looked stunning with a light tan in a long strappy dress -I'm a lucky man.;)

It is nice to dress up, as it makes you feel special, but a bow tie or even a tie is too uncomfrotable and hot for me in the Med summer.

Realistically, anything smart or as normal for MDR is fine. The world is becoming more relaxed and so is cruising.

Great review Skintman, really enjoyed reading it. Since I'll be doing the same cruise in a couple of months, I'm taking a print of it with me for the great port info you provided.

Found it quite amusing reading yours, then the one immediately below it. You both went in the same month but obviously were on different ships!

Skintman,

I am booked on the Musica from Venice to Rio in November and I have a question for which I can't find an answer anywhere. It relates to the MDR for breakfast and lunch.

My least favourite aspect of Royal Caribbean is the way, at breakfast and lunch, that you have to queue to get in the MDR at one entrance and be seated by a waiter - with other people on a big table unless you ask otherwise. If you do ask otherwise you are often told to sit down and wait while they clear the queue. And, you can only take your table if your whole party is there, otherwise, yes, you have to wait for them. On Cunard, you walk in to the MDR from any entrance, sit where you like and the waiters come to you. I find RCI an absolute pain in this regard and sufficiently off-putting to make go the the mad scramble of the buffet restaurant rather than go through their ridiculous procedure.

How is it on MSC, specifically the Musica?

I like to go the opposite direction to the crowds and I especially like a quiet, relaxed breakfast. I appreciate the service of an MDR and I am hoping not to have to do daily battle with the MSC waiting staff to get a suitable table.

I like to go the opposite direction to the crowds and I especially like a quiet, relaxed breakfast. I appreciate the service of an MDR and I am hoping not to have to do daily battle with the MSC waiting staff to get a suitable table.

Can't answer specifically for Musica, but have just returned from Opera. Like you we prefer a quiet breakfast (I wouldn't want to sit with me in the mornings - too grumpy, I'm reliably informed). Every morning we went to the MDR the acting maitre d' assumed, correctly, we wanted a table just for two, and we got exactly that - sometimes a two-top, sometimes a four but nobody was ever brought to join us.

There is no long queues for MDR. Wait staff will assist you finding a table. I'm usually on my own so at breakfast (not usually very sociable), I ask to be on my own. If it's busy though, I'll share.

At lunch time its pretty much the same. If its quiet, you can pretty much sit wherebyou want. If its busy (like on sea days), theyll seat you trying to take your prefernces in to account. Im more sociable at lunch, so I ask to be seated with others, preferably English speakers which they usually manage. If its really, really busy i have to share with other passengers, but that can be fun too, trying to communicate.

That said even if you do share, you don't have to wait until the table fills up. The waiters crack on with your order. It can mean that different folks are on different courses though.

It works quite well and you certainly won't be wanting to go to the buffet instead. I've rarely had to wait more than a minute or so to be seated.

Thanks for the replies. It sounds like the same system but perhaps more sensitively managed - which depends upon the personnel.

If they re-allocated staff to actually serving tables instead of crowd-management and frog-marching guests to the cruiseline's choice of table it would be an infinitely better guest experience.

I am mentally prepared.

Thanks for the replies. It sounds like the same system but perhaps more sensitively managed - which depends upon the personnel.

If they re-allocated staff to actually serving tables instead of crowd-management and frog-marching guests to the cruiseline's choice of table it would be an infinitely better guest experience.

I am mentally prepared.

It's more like a mixture of the 2 systems. It's not mandatory that they seat you it's more of a choice. I prefer that they seat me as they know where other English speaking people may be and it's just easier than wandering up and down on your own. A lot of passengers, just stroll past them and the wait staff don't interfere.

Hi Tim

As above - it was generall quiet for breakfast and we always ate on our own. A bit busier sometimes at lunchtime, but we only shared a table on one occasion.

Hi Marc

Yes - clear instructions on the tender process were given in the newsletter the night before. We had to go the the main theatre and get a numbered ticket, then wait to be called. We did not go to the theatre early, as we were in no rush. If you want to get off early, then get an early numbered ticket - ie go early. Very organised.

Thanks for the help. The tour descriptions online are kind of vague. Do you know if the onboard Tour magazine has better more detailed tour info? We're trying to decide between 2 Athens tours. Any idea how to see it online?

The onboard tour magazines are not available online, unless a passenger has uploaded them. The descriptions are not that detailed either in them. Just a paragraph describing the main sights that wull be visited, the cost, duration and some symbols ro indicate wether meals are included, degree of difficulty and that sort of thing.

Many many thanks for all your info. Much appreciated.

We are on Musica out of Venice on 30 Sept so your review is certainly a great help to us.

Just one query, if you ate in the MDR, were you then charged an extra gratuity? (a lady I play golf with thought this was happened when she cruised with MSC)

Many many thanks for all your info. Much appreciated.

We are on Musica out of Venice on 30 Sept so your review is certainly a great help to us.

Just one query, if you ate in the MDR, were you then charged an extra gratuity? (a lady I play golf with thought this was happened when she cruised with MSC)

The daily service charge is the same whethervyou eat in the MDR or you don't.

Archived