Something Different

sea_u_onboard

We have been to GC 4 times and would really like to do something "different". If we go to a beach we will go to the public beach - as I hate to pay to use the beach. Thought about going to the bus station (if you can call it that) and just letting our travels decide.

Anyone do something DIFFERENT that they can share.

A few years ago we spent a week on Grand Cayman, we stayed on the “other side “ of the island; it was about a mile from Rum Point. If you are looking for a beach to unwind, and relax this is your place. It is a very clean unspoiled beach, surrounded by palm trees, and white sand. They have a bar/restaurant with great food and drinks. They have plenty of beach chairs, and you can swing in a hammock, and read a book, or snorkel the small man made reef lots of fish to see. They do not charge for the beach, however you are not allowed to bring in any food from the outside. If you are on a time constraint, you will need to rent a car, from one of the various rental agencies that cater to the cruise ship passengers.

I am having the same problem. I have been to Grand Cayman several times and have done all the basic tour things. I was thinking about getting a taxi and having them take us to the other side of the island just to see it. Since I don't know what is over there and by being in a private group we could have them stop whenever something caught our fancy. If not we were going to do the same thing that you were mentioning, the public beach.

The problem with CG, and this is not a problem if you are a beach lover, is that if you don't do the beach or scuba dive there is not a ton to do. Let's see.. I dive and GC is divers heaven.. chartered a catamaran for a day (that was amazing), gone deep sea fishing, been to the Turtle Farm.. repeatedly (after a while that is a yawner) and hung out. Deep sea fishing was fantastic. I didn't catch anything but it was wonderful. I assume you did the "Ray Thing" on your past trips.

There isnt a big list of things to do, past the standard snorkel, swim and sting ray thing. There is the turtle farm and hell on the north side, maybe the ferry over to Rum point. In Georgetown, Ive heard there is the Tortuga Rum Factory Tour, although Ive never been. Heading east across the island there is Bodden Town Caves (cute but kinda campy), San Pedros Castle and the blowing holes ( across the street used to be the coconut man who would sell you a cocnut with straw, let you wander over to the holes, then after you were finished with the drink, would carve it up for you to eat) verrry cool. Of course you could continue on around the island (rental car) and check out the sights. Its very quiet and quaint on the eastern side. On the connecting road (north,south right up the middle of the island) is the Botanical Garden which was a nice little educational park, with iguanas roaming free and a very nice educational trail. Not sure how much the recent hurricanes have affected these things but if anything peaks your interest, I'm sure someone here will have firsthand knowledge. Good luck, Rick

There isnt a big list of things to do, past the standard snorkel, swim and sting ray thing. There is the turtle farm and hell on the north side, maybe the ferry over to Rum point. In Georgetown, Ive heard there is the Tortuga Rum Factory Tour, although Ive never been. Heading east across the island there is Bodden Town Caves (cute but kinda campy), San Pedros Castle and the blowing holes ( across the street used to be the coconut man who would sell you a cocnut with straw, let you wander over to the holes, then after you were finished with the drink, would carve it up for you to eat) verrry cool. Of course you could continue on around the island (rental car) and check out the sights. Its very quiet and quaint on the eastern side. On the connecting road (north,south right up the middle of the island) is the Botanical Garden which was a nice little educational park, with iguanas roaming free and a very nice educational trail. Not sure how much the recent hurricanes have affected these things but if anything peaks your interest, I'm sure someone here will have firsthand knowledge. Good luck, Rick

I, my husband, daughter, friend and a few in-laws will be sailing Conquest 11-20-05. This is my husband's, daughter and my second time to cruse. The 1st time we missed the GC because of bad weather. Reading the reviews sounds like we might need to stay onboard that day. Most of the people in this group are not too adventureous. I would enjoy the Rays, but noone else will. PLEASE HELP! I need suggestions of things for the rest of the group to do. If the weather holds we will be in GC from 7am to 4pm. Another question, how long is the tendering process?

For the first hour or so there will be a wait. If you want to get off early you will want to get tender tickets - they are free - first come, first serve. They will give you details in the Caper.

The ride on the tender itself won't take long. About 5 minutes tops.

• 5 months later...

We went with The Thriller off-shore racing boat this past trip. Great fun! Booked through Shoretrips. The Thriller docks right off the tender docks so very easy to access. The tour can be extended to include an hour or so at the public beach, Seagrape. Since the tour docks downtown, easy to hit the shops and bars then catch your tender back to the ship.

Archived