Quebec City- trans.to airport

What is the earliest makeable flight time after disembarking in Quebec City? Without having to be the first off the ship and harried? ;)

Cab fare cost?

How long a drive is it to the airport?

It really depends on what day you're disembarking and where you're flying to. The bad news: YQB is pretty much the opposite side of the city from the cruise port. The good news is that Quebec just isn't that big; in ideal conditions, it should take no more than 25-30 minutes to get to YQB from the airport (more if you are disembarking on a weekday, as you will hit traffic). Taxis from the airport to the downtown area are at a fixed rate of $34.25 (see here for more information).

For a domestic flight, I usually arrive 1-1 1/2 hours before, 2 for an international flight, but YQB is still a relatively small airport, and you can probably get away with arriving nearer the minimum check-in time given for your flight. So, with all those factors, I would be comfortable booking a flight at 11am or after for domestic, or after noon for international.

That said, I think you mentioned something about possibly taking the train to Montreal post-cruise in another thread? Because the train station is infinitely more convenient to the port than YQB - indeed, it's walkable in a pinch, or a very short taxi ride (or take the No. 1 bus down 3 or 4 stops).

Excellent info Twick, thanks! Yes we are also looking at our schedules to see if heading to Montreal for a day or two would work. We have been and really liked the city. In the meantime checking flight right now from Quebec.

Another question.....if we are overnighting in Quebec City on HAL, do you know when we could disembark the ship? Since we are there overnight, do we have a chance to disembark for a flight in Quebec as early as 5:30 A.m.? Or is this a reg. disembarkation time like other cruises at 7:00?

I've never cruised out of here, so I don't know the disembarkation procedure. But remember, in order to make a 5:30 am flight, you need to be on the road by 4 am - your decision, but I would never want to end my cruise like that!

Yes, I agree. DH now wants me to look at a later flight after another day or two in Quebec or Montreal. Guess he knows too well what I'm like after an early rising day.:eek:

• 6 months later...

I will be departing from the Explorer after an overnight in Quebec City next September and am looking at the direct flights home. There's a 10:43 and a 3:15. My rational part of my brain tells me the morning one may be cutting it too close, but the impatient part is hemming and hawing about possibly having to wait around until mid-afternoon.

Any recommendations? I don't mind doing the self-walk off. I've done it plenty of times before.

Merci, merci.

I will be departing from the Explorer after an overnight in Quebec City next September and am looking at the direct flights home. There's a 10:43 and a 3:15. My rational part of my brain tells me the morning one may be cutting it too close, but the impatient part is hemming and hawing about possibly having to wait around until mid-afternoon.

Any recommendations? I don't mind doing the self-walk off. I've done it plenty of times before.

Merci, merci.

If you're disembarking on a weekend day - Saturday or Sunday - then the 10:43 flight should be very doable, as long as you're in a taxi by 8:15. A weekday would be more of a challenge, as you will hit rush hour traffic, but as it will be going the opposite way to you for at least half the trip, I think you would still be OK.

We have an overnight in Quebec, was thinking of renting a car on Friday from an airport location then on Saturday just take the rental car back. Thinking it maybe easier to cab to airport , or is there any type of mass transit from terminal to airport with no luggage it might be easier to get a car on Friday. Flight isn't until 12:30PM so we have enough time, is there parking by the pier and how much?

We have an overnight in Quebec, was thinking of renting a car on Friday from an airport location then on Saturday just take the rental car back. Thinking it maybe easier to cab to airport , or is there any type of mass transit from terminal to airport with no luggage it might be easier to get a car on Friday. Flight isn't until 12:30PM so we have enough time, is there parking by the pier and how much?

Lots of parking at the pier. I believe it's a flat rate of $10 evenings and weekends. But I certainly wouldn't go to the airport to pick up the car - there's a Hertz not that far on Cote du Palais (straight up the hill from the train station) - I think the Ecolobus passes there, otherwise it can't be much more than $5-10 by taxi - or in a pinch it is walkable, albeit up a rather steep hill.

• 3 weeks later...
Lots of parking at the pier. I believe it's a flat rate of $10 evenings and weekends. But I certainly wouldn't go to the airport to pick up the car - there's a Hertz not that far on Cote du Palais (straight up the hill from the train station) - I think the Ecolobus passes there, otherwise it can't be much more than $5-10 by taxi - or in a pinch it is walkable, albeit up a rather steep hill.

Hello Twickenham

I noticed you live in Quebec City and wish you would answer a few questions.

First of all – I do not speak any French. Will there be a language barrier in Quebec City, mainly with taxi drivers and hotel personnel? I only want to rest and eat dinner. I can do all that in the hotel.

Second question – what do you think of my travel plans. I will be ending my cruise on a Saturday in Quebec City. I live in Buffalo, NY. I plan to stay overnight at Quebec Hilton -1100 Rene Levesque East [near port? Google said yes] because Via Rail trains on Saturday are too early for me. Then I will get Via Rail [near hotel? again Google said yes] Sunday from the via station at 450 Rue de la Gare du Palais to Toronto. From Toronto I can easily get a Greyhound bus to Buffalo. I will depend on cabs or shuttles.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Archived