Renting a jeep in Cozumel

tripletsmommy

Has anyone rented a jeep in Cozumel? If so how much was it and was it safe? I was there last year and right before we left we found out we could have rented a jeep right from the port area (not on the cruise). I will be traveling with 4 little ones (5 year old triplets and a 7 year old) How do you pay for the day? Any comments will sure help. We are not traveling until Nov, but want to get some ideas. Thank you in advance!

a few years ago I rented a Jeep from Avis bought all insurance that covered everything. When we were driving around we blew a tire, they came and fix right away. When we got back they said I owed $460 US for the one bad tire. When I said we had insurance all of a suden no one spoke english and all they coud say was no pay. I just walked off without sighning the papers and them calling the police. When I got home the tire was on my MC. and I called them and sent the original form without the cost of the tire and refused to pay more. Mexico Avis sent me a "E" mail stating there is a warent out for my aresst and the next time I come they will put me in jail. I have been back several times but never rent a car again.

Has anyone rented a jeep in Cozumel? If so how much was it and was it safe? I was there last year and right before we left we found out we could have rented a jeep right from the port area (not on the cruise). I will be traveling with 4 little ones (5 year old triplets and a 7 year old) How do you pay for the day? Any comments will sure help. We are not traveling until Nov, but want to get some ideas. Thank you in advance!

If you decide to rent a vehicle, purchase full coverage insurance. If you are involved in a wreck, you will be detained until all the bills (medical as well) paid even if it is not your fault.

Personally, I would pay extra and hire a driver type tour guide with a van.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=11833979&postcount=2

I think you need more space than a jeep for the kids. You can't fit four kids in the back of a jeep so you would probably need something more like a minivan.

We have rented a car many times in Cozumel/riveria maya and it is much easier with kids cause you can come and go as you please, but I actually think this is one situation where it would be better to hire a driver.

• 5 weeks later...

You can hire a "driver for 3-4 hours" or more for less than renting a car and he or she will drive you anywhere you want to go. We are going sightseeing, shopping and then to a beach and for 4 of us it is only $95 for 3 hours and $25 per hour after that. I think the 8 passenger van was $135 for the first 3 hours and $25 after. It is safer and easier. If you want just beach you can get a mini van cab that will pick up and drop off for $20/$25 at a specific beach club or Paradise Beach. If you tell them what time to come back they are right there waiting. Just suggestions to consider.

I think you need more space than a jeep for the kids. You can't fit four kids in the back of a jeep so you would probably need something more like a minivan.

If you want to fit in with the locals you should just rent a scooter. I haven't seen 6 on one, but I've seen a family of 5 on a single scooter. I'm sure it's doable...just tell your last kid to hold on tight and you should be good to go. :D

Hi, I have been doing research and have found a company my husband and I are going to use. Its called Pantera Jeep Tour and is with amstardmc.com

The tour sounds wonderful. Read up on it. You have a guide, each jeep is a stick shift. If you need automatic...just ask. They can seat up to four. One person drives and you drive in caravan style to jungle area, ruins, beach for snorkel if wish...yes!, lunch, and a rum factory tour with samples. It does include the insurance and is for 6 hours. Cost is $80 per adult. Not sure what kids costs are. But, thought I saw a listing on kids. We are also coming in Nov. With Norwegian Pearl.

My family of four rented a jeep our last trip to Coz and absolutely loved it! We drove several times around the island and stopped anywhere we wanted to. I think it was Avis at the pier. Not very expensive, maybe 60? Can't remember, I've slept since then..... :o):p

Yeah, Cozumel would not be a place where I would rent a car. I read a thread on here several years back from someone who stated a friend of hers in their group received a ticket for a moving violation, was taken to jail and held there. He ended up missing the ship and had to fly home. Needless to say, that scared me enough not to rent a car here. :D

I would not rent a car in Cozumel without a driver especially on a cruise. Too many things can happen and their laws are not like ours.

There are a lot of scams where people pull in front of you to create accidents.:eek:

Archived