Gratuities refunded?

livingitup

"but not eating in the dining room is a lousy reason to have them refunded"

"It is VERY WRONG (IMO) to remove tips because you didnt eat in the MDR"

"Wow talk about cheap."

"that just sounds really petty and cheap..."

And that is just from the first 8 posts. Well might not be bullying but "better then though" or pompous or negative comments.

The OP asked if they could remove tip or not. The question was not what people feel about tipping.

And then the OP was told to pay the tips, better yet just don't cruise!

That's not rude, bully-ish, or mean?

The OP then asked if there was a way to make her Dining Room tips go to the Lido staff since that's where she'll be eating.

What's wrong with that? She isn't looking to stiff other crew who take care of her, she's looking to compensate them more over compensating everyone, even those who wont care for her.

I have a question since i have not cruised in 5 years.....when we crusied the last time we were able to pay our gratuties on our own and not prepay them we just told the quest service person that we would pay our own tips and didnt want to prepay them and that was fine.. Do they still allow for that to happen....

If you remove your tips, I would be wondering if someone maybe spit in your food, or put somebody else's dirty sheets or towels in your room (instead of cleaned ones).

I'd really hope not, especially the spitting. It's unhealthy and dangerous and a way to spread diseases.

goes way back to one cruise where i had a steward "team" as opposed to one guy, so when tip night arrived, i asked beforehand. he was able to increase his "take" by taking on additional cabins by taking on a helper.

and have encountered it many times since.

I know this because of speaking to hotel managers onboard.

The ship does not hire out asst cabin stewards. A cabin steward can hire someone working the kitchen or laundry to get extra money in their off hours.

The steward directs the person to the hotel manager to get the approval. (they just cant go and work a day)

The cabin steward then pays the "assistant" out of his tips earned.

Sometimes you will see more then 1 assistant on any given day

that assistant can not forgo his "real" job in order to pick up money doing something else.

You will see Stewards sometimes get 20 rooms-- that must be turned over twice a day

I never knew this...It still won't change that I tip both of them on top of the auto gratuity (which to me is just not enough...but that's my opinion). I have only seen one additional assistant every time I have cruised.

I'd really hope not, especially the spitting. It's unhealthy and dangerous and a way to spread diseases.

kinda explains the norovirus outbreaks on cruiseships. any one ship hitting the news must have had a tiping issue.

I never knew this...It still won't change that I tip both of them on top of the auto gratuity (which to me is just not enough...but that's my opinion). I have only seen one additional assistant every time I have cruised.

that just means the assistant is getting paid twice, or even thrice.

kinda explains the norovirus outbreaks on cruiseships. any one ship hitting the news must have had a tiping issue.

No one said that Carnival spits in their food, they just said they hope they don't... how do you make the jump that it's definitely happening??

No one said that Carnival spits in their food, they just said they hope they don't... how do you make the jump that it's definitely happening??

no one? you should challenge the ones right in this thread making the insinuations.

that just means the assistant is getting paid twice, or even thrice.

I don't care.

I don't care who makes what...That is not my business. I tip based on service. If the assistant cabin steward is doing stuff for me, I will tip them and not hold out just because they also work in the dining room and are getting a portion of tips there as well.

Aside from pom-pom wavers, people who contemplate the crew's salary and tip according to that astound me.

You may see the same staff that would serve you in mdr at the breakfast or lunch stations on the Lido buffet. MDR isn't their only job. They are serving in different places thru the day

they may be found working elsewhere, but they certainly aren't serving. the lido restaurant is self serve.

Tip what you want. All these bullies in here saying your a bad person if you remove any of the tip. A tip is something you give if you receive good service. If you receive bad service don't give a tip, if you get great service give a tip. A tip is in addition to a salary and if the argument is their salaries are low, that is a employer/employee issue.

Sorry, but you are incorrect in this statement.

The salaries are not low....they are $75.00 a MONTH.

Individuals who cruise understand that the "gratuity" system is how mass market cruise lines (not just Carnival) pay the SALARY of their wait staff.

This is not a "tip" like we understand it in the United States. These individuals do not make $2.60 an hour plus tips.

This is their SALARY.

And those who want to enjoy the privilege of cruising should accept the responsibility of paying the wait staff their SALARY. If someone does not want to do this, then they should not cruise.

We have adjusted tips - only once.

We had terrible service in the MDR...really bad. After a complaint, the Maitre D or his assistant stopped by each night to see if there was improvement. Improvement was marginal.

I chose to reduce the MDR head waiter and put that amount as extra towards our room steward.

Have only done it once as a result of service level.

Keep in mind though - that MDR staff and lido daytime staff are the same people. It shouldn't be viewed as a way to avoid tipping.

I totally understand you doing this. And I think it's great that you can make adjustments like this. When we sailed royal I had to pay all or none. I could not adjust up or down.

they may be found working elsewhere, but they certainly aren't serving. the lido restaurant is self serve.

Really? How do those "self serving" tables clean up after themselves?????

And I guess the coffee carts in the mornings and the tea/lemonade carts during the rest of the day just push themselves around.

You may see the same staff that would serve you in mdr at the breakfast or lunch stations on the Lido buffet. MDR isn't their only job. They are serving in different places thru the day

This is true. Many times our table waiter/busboy recognized us at the buffet immediately while it took us a few minutes to place him! The buffet crews work hard to keep the food supplied as people take it. Some of the wait staff barely has off 6 hours during a 24-hour period. They are in the MDR for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Then there is the buffet and on sea days, tea is served in the MDR along with the special brunch. Unless you are eating all your meals in your cabin, you are being served by someone from the MDR at some point during the sailing. Specialty dining only happens at night. Where are you eating for the other 2 meals?

On my recent sailing on the Miracle, we had a service staff of 3 people in the MDR and excellent service. No way would anyone at our table of 8 even consider cutting back on the automatic gratities added in daily. They worked hard to keep everyone satisified.

If you do not want to tip, at least be honest about it and don't use a poor excuse to cover it up. You can at least leave your job and go home at the end of the day. The staff merely goes from one work area to another during their long day and must be upbeat and keep a smile on their faces while doing their difficult jobs of keeping everyone happy and fed.

MARAPRINCE

Really, you have never had staff at the Lido bring you a drink refill or bus a table for you. I must be special:D

I don't care.

I don't care who makes what...That is not my business. I tip based on service. If the assistant cabin steward is doing stuff for me, I will tip them and not hold out just because they also work in the dining room and are getting a portion of tips there as well.

Aside from pom-pom wavers, people who contemplate the crew's salary and tip according to that astound me.

you aren't following my logic.

your auto tip goes to your steward who in turn pays a portion to his assistant.

the extra cash you give your steward turns and gives a portion of that to his assistant.

and last, you pay the assistant directly, bypassing the steward..

thrice.

Really, you have never had staff at the Lido bring you a drink refill or bus a table for you. I must be special:D

nope.

and i clear my table the same way i do it at a micky d's or taco bell. you tip there?

Individuals who cruise understand that the "gratuity" system is how mass market cruise lines (not just Carnival) pay the SALARY of their wait staff.

This is not a "tip" like we understand it in the United States. These individuals do not make $2.60 an hour plus tips.

This is their SALARY.

And those who want to enjoy the privilege of cruising should accept the responsibility of paying the wait staff their SALARY. If someone does not want to do this, then they should not cruise.

i know this wont sound good, but just thinking... If a cabin steward has 20 cabins,which I realize most dont, their tips would add up to 508. per week. Now, that is not counting those who pay above and beyond, which I have at times giving them something on the first day, and it doesnt include those that stiff them, for lack of a better word. So let's just say it is 508 per week. Plus 75 dollars a month, equals 2100 tax free dollars a month. Plus free room and board, and food. I don't bring that much home a month. And have been working for 38 years... The wait staff, not including extra tips, or those that stiff them, plus 75 per person salary, if serving 3 ten tops, will make 5099 dollars per month, tax free, free room and board. Divided by 3 is 1898 per person per month. 36,000 dollars tax free per year. I dont make that much and certainly bring home much less after taxes.

The only reason I am posting this is because we always hear the sob stories, but really, as long as they get their tips , they are doing fine... actually very well, when you consider the cost of living in their countries.

said that, I of course will continue to tip, but would like my dollars to be divided like I want them to be.

you left out one small detail. the people you tip in the united states don't get room and board.

Yes, I do tip at buffet restaurants, don't you? The Lido is not taco bell.

who are you tipping at a buffet restaurant, where you get your own tray, your own plate, and your own food? i want to be in that tip line. kinda like paying a caddy when you hire a golf cart.

and at taco bell, they do go one step further. it is they who put the food on my tray.

Archived