Infant Jetlag???

Newbi

Hi everyone, we will be taking my daugter on vacation with us - the time difference will be around 6-7 hours. Any advice on approaching jetlag in my 15 month old daugter??? Pointers on adjusting her schedule??

How do you approach a long flight?? Have done shorter flights with no problems- but this will be a different story...

Any help will be appreciated.

Thank you

We will be flying east to west - so losing time ( so to speak)... they say east to west is better. The only constant is bath time - then followed by bed time. But what works best - do i slowly adjust bath time the week before we fly??? If she ends up sleeping longer periods during the day do i keep her awake???

I've found my kids adjust better to time changes than I do, especially before they are teenagers. I wouldn't worry about adjusting bed times before you go, unless you have to hit the ground running when you get there. The 7 hour flight will throw everyone's schedule off anyway. 15 months is a hard age for flying. If the flight is overnight, that would be best so that she can get some sleep. If not, I would bring along movies/coloring/snacks.

I think if you're flexible with schedules, your child will probably adjust faster than you will! Which direction will you be flying.....gaining or losing time?

This was NOT our experience with our first son. We traveled from East coast to CO for a week when he was 16 mos old. We tried to adjust schedules, be flexible etc and he never adjusted to the time change. I spent each morning in the hotel lobby at 430 am (he was used to getting up at 630 at home) even though played all day long and should have slept like a rock. His clock never readjusted to the earlier time. We tried to adjust meals to help but even that was problematic. He was just a creature of habit. That said, try to adjust their schedules but be prepared that it may not take.

The only miserable time I've had travelling with my girls was the trip I tried to adjust their timing. It never worked and we all ended up crabby. For us, just letting it happen naturally, if at all, is best - and also makes the return home much easier because there isn't a re-adjustment. The best thing for us is to get where we're going a few days early if possible to start the adjustment, and going East to West, I would try to keep them up a little later to encourage later sleeping - but one of my girls wakes up at the same time each morning no matter how late she stays up. We've just learned that travelling West, we see the early morning and travelling East, we wake later and stay up later.

Best,

Mia

We had an 8hr time difference when we travelled with my 16month old son to Australia. (West to East flight). He adjusted very well and we had no problems. Coming back was a different story though!

My advice is don't try to adjust your baby's schedule - I agree with the posters who have said your baby will probably adjust better than you.

Archived