First post. Touchy Post.

My partner and I are traveling on Dawn at end of June. Today someone told me that African-Americans (really black, because although my partner is black, he is not American. He's Hatian. But most people don't know the difference) are not treated respectfully on the cruiselines. I am German white. Can anyone comment on treatment of non-white passengers. I know this is touchy and most will immediately move on, but it is really important to us. Appreciate all replies.

On the Nov 28, 2004 Dawn cruise, there was every kind of person under the sun: white, black, asian, latin, and even a group of 150 Germans! Daily announcements went on forever...Captain spoke in English and Swedish, then someone else delivered same message in German, then same message in Spanish. I imagine your fellow cruisers on the Dawn will be broad-minded...many are from the NYC area (and we are a diverse group), and everyone seemed to get along beautifully that we saw. I can't speak for the staff, but they were very nice...mostly Phillipinos(as) and Eastern Europeans (many Roumanians) We hope to have my brother (white) and his wife (Black American) with us next year on the Dawn, and, really, this issue never occured to us, nor have we seen anything on our various cruises to make us worry!

We had black cruise directors on the Crown to Bermuda and on the Star. If NCL is willing to put Ricky and Kevin in the top posts on these ships, they must have a lot of confidence in thier ability to reach out to all people. They are both very good and well liked. Anyone who does not appreciate all varieties of people should just stay home!

Never seen a problem with Black / African Americans being discriminated onboard the ships I have sailed, Even myself from Puerto Rico, have never felt that way by anyone. Everyone very polite and having a great time.

someone told me that African-Americans are not treated respectfully on the cruiselines.

I would start and go back to your SOMEONE, and ask him to reveal his source. I have NEVER seen anyone on the ships not treated with respect.

I have to agree. I met a black women in the self serve laundry and spent over an hour sharing stories and eventually getting our "grands" pictures to share. She was having a great time & didn't appear to have had any negative experiences. Not that she would have said anything, she had so much class.

I understand your concern, but "if you go looking for trouble your going to find it". If your concerned about everybody's perception, then you'll likely read into everything. And my guess is the person that told you that african americans were treated differently was someone who was ignorant. Sorry, but you asked for all replies! If your comfortable, if you treat people with decency and respect, you'll get it in return. So don't make a big deal out if it is my advice. Menina

My partner and I are traveling on Dawn at end of June. Today someone told me that African-Americans (really black, because although my partner is black, he is not American. He's Hatian. But most people don't know the difference) are not treated respectfully on the cruiselines. I am German white. Can anyone comment on treatment of non-white passengers. I know this is touchy and most will immediately move on, but it is really important to us. Appreciate all replies.

We returned from the 4-10 sailing of the Dawn, with a party of 5, four white and one black african woman. We stayed together most of the time and the treatment was the same for each of us. We had a great time and would do it again and again. There is only ONE race....the HUMAN race. Have a great trip.

I am Native American and am the mother of two Hispanic children (we suspect one is part African American but that is by appearance only, Bmom did not know BDad very well or not at all, it was a bad situation I will not go into) so I am hyper aware of anyone acting in an inappropriate manner towards anyone of color at all. I can honestly say, in all my years of cruising I have never noticed any prejudice at all on any cruise line or ship. I have not sailed NCL but cannot imagine it is different there. I would not expect it and if I felt I was receiving negative treatment because of race then I would report it, but again, I have never experienced it in the least and never witnessed it. Because I am not of African descent it may be that it is hidden from me but I would be shocked beyond belief if I saw anything like that.

We just returned from our cruise on the Crown and while there was a lot of different races on board everyone and I specifically mean EVERYONE was treated by the staff and crew the same. Total respect, a smile, a nod, all very polite.

as someone else posted don't go looking for trouble just go to enjoy yourselves.

Linda:cool:

An additional though on this subject. The crew on a cruise ship is among the most diverse you will find ANYWHERE. I would think if there is a world composed of diverse understanding and tolerance, it is on board a cruise ship. I feel that the passenger mix is much the same. While not in a minority group ourselves, we have never witnessed such actions on board the ship.

I've been on a few cruises and the passengers are very diverse. A cruise IMO would be the best vacation. Go for it don't let stupid people rude your vacation. If you do run into someone that's that stupid move on to something else away from them. It's easy to do on a big ship.

Go and have a safe and wonderfull cruise!

I am African American and travelled on the Dawn 4/10/05 with my husband and two children---all of us are African American. We did not experience any bad treatment from anyone. The crew was just as fabulous to us as everyone else. Ok, I must admit they loved my kids more than us :-)! They were fabulous--just fabulous.

I would have to say that the information you received is not accurate. The bottom line is, how you treat people is how you are treated. If you are pleasant, you can expect the same in return. Have a great cruise, and please dismiss those false accusations. :)

Hey, I am white, travelled on the Dawn last Aug with my white husband, my white children and my Africa-American 15 yo brother. I would say about 1/3 of the passengers of the Dawn that week were inner-city African-American families. EVERYONE appeared to be treated with respect and seemed to have a great time (in spite of the hurricane)

It is really nice to see the responses which are so encouraging...I know there are still problems here but its nice to see the support the poster was given...come visit we will love to have you here :) I live in NYC and if you have any questions please feel free to ask...

How are you typically treated when you are not on a cruise? Until recently, inter racial couples might find diverse social responses depending on where they choose to live and travel, no?

As has been mentioned, cruise crews are not only quite diverse themselves, but are also paid to be on their best behavior all the time.

Cruise ship's treat all equally (bad or good, depending on Ship & Crew) they do not discriminate due to Race or Color. Next Cruise look around at the Crew, they will be all sizes and all colors, depending on the ship they may be from as many as 72 different Nationalities. Most importantly enjoy yourself, attitude is everything, Cruise with a good attitude and you will definitly enjoy yourself.

GOOD LUCK.:D

My partner and I are traveling on Dawn at end of June. Today someone told me that African-Americans (really black, because although my partner is black, he is not American. He's Hatian.

I'm Asian and I never had a problem. Tho some older passangers occassionally give me a weird or awkward glance. Well... maybe it's age discrimination, because at the time I was about 18 :D

As for black passangers, there is usually a fair share of them. Sometimes entire family gatherings with >30 people. They seemed to be having fun just like everyone else.

I don't think you need to worry, if you are comfortable with your situation you should have no problems. There will be some, more likely passengers that may not be totally accepting of a black/white relationship, but don't let them bother you. As for the staff, many of them are from the islands as well as Phillapines, some will be Europian, etc. We don't live in the same world we did even 10 years ago; thank goodness, by the way. NMnita

:) Hi! I was on the Dawn last month and I do believe that EVERYONE was treated well, nicely, with kindness by the staff and crew. There were many different races on board, I truly don't think it is an issue you need to worry about. I think that most passengers on the ship will be polite too, at least I hope so.....

Don't worry, you WILL enjoy your cruise!!!

Suesan

I would ask that person one question: Have you ever been on a cruise? If the answer is no, I would tell that person to MYOB!!! (Read: troublemaker). If the answer is yes, ask for details, specifics of examples of discriminatory behavior toward minorities. Could it possibly be that someone may be jealous of you going on a cruise.

My office manager has not much good to say about cruises. She of course has never been on one and claims to not want to go either. However, last year when she thought both me and one of the doctors were both on a cruise on the same week she admitted to me (quietly) that she was jealous (the doctor was on one but I wasn't).

Don't let naysayers ruin a cruise vacation for you. As others have said, a cruise ship is one of the most racially diverse places you will ever be. Enjoy it to the max.

I've found that a cruise ship is the one place where no one cares and no one treats you any differently no matter what your race, nationality, or sexual orientation... GO and HAVE FUN!!! :)

Archived