First post. Touchy Post.

I completely agree with all the posts above indicating that a cruiseship is one of the most culturally and ethnically diverse microcosms on earth. I cannot imagine anyone thinking that anyone would be discriminated against onboard. Go and have an absolutely fabulous time!

:D

We have been on 10 cruises, 9 different ships and 4 different cruise lines in the last 2½ years. We have never seen a problem of discrimination based on race, religion, or sexual orientation.....ever.

As others have said, "Go, Enjoy!"

Charlie

the only discrimination I've ever seen has been against those passengers that act like jerks on their cruise.

AMEN! And they come in all shapes, sizes, colors and creeds! Those that act like jerks get treated like jerks, and deservedly so. :)

I have been on over 45 cruises and I have never, ever seen any discrimination whatsoever. I feel that everyone on the ship becomes one happy family. We eat together, play together, gamble together and worry together if the ship is a little rocky. LOL.

You should be shopping, getting excited and anticipating the fantastic time you both are going to have.

Please post a review when you return because I'll be on the Dawn 8/21 and would love to hear all about your great vacation.

Happy Sailing!!!!!

I've found that a cruise ship is the one place where no one cares and no one treats you any differently no matter what your race, nationality, or sexual orientation...:)

I concur that race and ethnicity are completely irrelevant on NCL cruises, but "sexual orientation" is a different matter altogether. Gays/lesbians are the last remaining minority that can be openly abused (because of religion-based hate), and I witnessed a gay couple on the NCL Star being harrassed by a couple passengers shouting Bible passanges at them one evening in the Spinnaker Lounge -- and the ship's security dealt with the problem by confining the gay couple to their stateroom. I asked one of the security officers why the antagonists weren't removed from the room, and was told that there was no evidence as to who started the confrontation. My husband and I offered to provide eye-witness testimony that the two guys were quietly having a drink when they were verbally attacked, but the security people simply didn't want to deal with it.

So...on NCL, gays are fair game. However, racial and ethnic minorities will experience no problems.

So...on NCL, gays are fair game.

It certainly sounds like security handled the situation poorly. But, I wouldn't paint the entire cruise line based on a single incident. Five of our cruises have been with NCL and, as I have stated before, never have we seen a problem.

Charlie

I concur that race and ethnicity are completely irrelevant on NCL cruises, but "sexual orientation" is a different matter altogether. Gays/lesbians are the last remaining minority that can be openly abused (because of religion-based hate), and I witnessed a gay couple on the NCL Star being harrassed by a couple passengers shouting Bible passanges at them one evening in the Spinnaker Lounge -- and the ship's security dealt with the problem by confining the gay couple to their stateroom. I asked one of the security officers why the antagonists weren't removed from the room, and was told that there was no evidence as to who started the confrontation. My husband and I offered to provide eye-witness testimony that the two guys were quietly having a drink when they were verbally attacked, but the security people simply didn't want to deal with it.

So...on NCL, gays are fair game. However, racial and ethnic minorities will experience no problems.

Yeah, I'd say they handled it poorly. The religious bible people should have been tossed into their room.

Fair question:) My spouse is half Philipino so as you can imagine at least one person asks him for assistance or if he is an employee on each of our cruises. Of course the people are very friendly but no one ever asks me that question;) A similar experience may happen to you, hubby and I just laugh it off. You'll be fine! Have a great cruise.

Archived