Costa Classica - Adriatic & Aegean - Lots of questions

geologygeek

Hi everyone - we are thinking about booking a trip on the Costa Classica ex-Trieste. Has anyone recently done this itinerary on this ship? We are a bit concerned about going on Costa because of all the negative reviews, but we'd mostly be going for the ports and after sightseeing we'd just like to relax and take it easy.

Just wondering as well which ports would be tender? At the moment Dubrovnik, Kefallonia/Argostoli and potentially Split look like tender ports. Is tendering on Costa a mad zoo? I'm just asking because some ports of call are only six hours and we'd like to maximize our shore time.

What is Costa's upgrade/OBC/price drop policy inside/outside the 90 day final payment window? I'm guessing it'll probably be non-existent.

Any advice would be extremely grateful - thanks!

:)We just got back on Saturday. We did not tender into any ports and only had to take the shuttle into into 2 ports from the ship.

Here are my thoughts about the ship - stayed tuned for the ports.....

After reading some of the reviews, I was worried about what I had talked my friends into for vacation. I am only talking about the ship reviews, not the tragedy that occurred. Though some of the comments had some validity, I really don’t understand most of the negative comments. I did a lot of research and was really concerned – even took some of my own food, just in case. I have travelled on some of the smaller European ships before, so I was not expecting an ice rink or Broadway show. It is really not why I go on a cruise for anyway. I would also consider myself low maintenance – no laughing. I like a small ship where the passengers look familiar after a few day and the crew knows your name, but most importantly, I don’t get lost!

It is an Italian ship and there were very few Americans on board (26) and 10 of them were our group. Many languages are spoken and English is not the primary one. So, I can understand how the ship can be a little isolating if you are not traveling in a group. The ship had a July 4th celebration for us and it was nice for the American to meet. It would have been nice to have some sort of get-together earlier in the trip, but apparently they do not have meet and greets or a way to add it to a ship program. The July 4 celebration was very nice and they had champagne and cake with a nice toast from the hotel director.

We thought the staff was wonderful. Kudos to our waiters Johnson Niranddah and Ashmed Thompson. They were attentive offered to replace any food that we did not like, bring an additional entrée and even brought me extra vegetables every night. We lacked for nothing in our five course meal. The breakfast and lunch buffet were not spectacular, but I seldom get crazy eating big meals as to avoid the dreaded ‘cruise 10’. There was always an omelet station in the morning and pasta station in the afternoon.

The cabin was larger than I have typically experienced. The room was quiet, bed comfortable, shower small, enough storage. The air dryer was inadequate and you cannot use your own – I tried and blew the circuit. Additionally, our room steward, Rehah Rodem was very attentive and friendly.

We did not do any organized tours from the ship. We found the ports easy to DIY with a little planning.

We all took all inclusive package for £16 plus service charge. Great value. We got bottled water each day before leaving the ship, wine and water with dinner and probably drank them out of coke lite.

The ship board entertainment was poor. It reminded me a little of some high school productions – but I really do not go on a ship for that. I only went to one show and the ship talent show and that was enough.

The pools (2) were very small and there are children in both. Wish they could have had one for adults only.

All and all, we all had a great time and thought was a great value for the money.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

I have not done the Classica or Trieste but I have done some other Costa cruises and I will tell you what I know. Please let me know if you have any other questions and I'll be happy to help.

Costa is a great line that is geared more for the Europeans. Expect everything to be said five times in different languages each time. If you don't hear your language, it wasn't meant for you :) Americans and English speaking in general is typically the last language to be used unless you are sailing from Miami or Fort Lauderdale.

You have to understand the European lifestyle to enjoy Costa. There will be very few lines and more pushing and shoving like at the buffets, service desks, etc. Europeans don't always line up like the Americans do, but that is nothing to get upset over. Also, more smokers. Less modesty around the pool area. Some ships have pools where children are not allowed; sometimes they are policed and sometimes not.

I've been to Dubrovnik twice and one time we tendered and other time we docked. The dock is not far but the ship will arrange buses (expect to pay). Also, I have been to Argostoli but cannot remember if we tendered there. If you do a ship excursion in Argostoli, we did a wonderful winery tour and they had the best wine! Buy some to take home! I have not been to Split. The tendering service has always been controlled and quick-moving. They will have a process to keep it under control. Of course ship tours will disembark first and then the free-stylers.

Regarding the upgrades, don't expect one! We have seen empty rooms go un-used even when we offered to pay. They say they are all occupied but it is obvious they are sitting empty. I have never heard of anyone upgrading after boarding or even while checking in with Costa. Regarding OBC, I have received one OBC in the past and it was $75pp but ended up being only 25euros when we got on board. Just their 'exchange rate.' Besides, the OBC is something issued typically by travel agencies to get you to book with them. Those OBCs come out of the agent's commissions unless the cruise line is truly offering the OBC. Regarding the price drop policy, I have no experience with that but I would assume it has to be outside of the 90 day window to even be considered. I did buy an outside room once, realized it was an obstructed view, called back an hour later and downgraded to an inside cabin. I got the $400 refund two months later.

I will tell you this one secret that I have used a few times with some success. Book the I1 or E1 (cheapest) category if it is offered and you may have a chance at a free upgrade if all the other higher categories are sold. I have done this with three cruises where I bought an I1 (inside) or an E1 (outside) and received a B1 (balcony) or higher. Also, I booked a B1 (obstructed view) once and got a B6 (best balcony available). It seems Costa will offer those cheap rates at the I1, E1 or B1 categories but no rooms are available to assign. Book it and then check back on occasion through the website for a room assignment. They will assign you one and you could get a free upgrade. And the worst that could come of it is that you actually got the room you paid for :)

As far as the meals are concerned, don't be worried! I have read other reviews on here where the food was horrible, etc etc. The food is for the Europeans so you have to think in that mind set. The food is Italian-style most often which is great if you love pasta and bread! There will always been pasta and bread available. You'll see the Italians loading up on it. The breakfast is nothing to bark about. I always have the continental breakfast delivered to the room. The room service delivers free cappuccino but if you go to the buffet, they charge 2euro. Sometimes they charge a 2euro service fee but you don't fight the crowds and you don't stand in line. If you dock early, you can eat in your room and head right for the exit when it is time to disembark. Regarding dinner, it's a show! Don't ever leave your room for dinner without your camera. I'd tell you what they do but do not want to ruin the surprise. Dinner has always been outstanding and I have never walked away hungry. They have a menu with the same choices every day plus a menu with new selections every night. Eat anything you want! Want three salads, go for it! I always get three desserts :) Sometimes two of the steaks because they are the best. And you will only be seated with people who speak your language.

Also, we have had great luck with the English speaking hostess (or host) on board. They are your new best friend! Ask them anything - they are a source of great knowledge and have many experiences to help answer your questions. Sometimes the hostess cannot answer right away but they take notes and are super about following up with a note, phone call or when they see you in person. Don't miss the galley tour! What an operation they do in there. And if they don't offer a galley tour, ask for one. One has not always been provided but we have gotten them on request. The host generally has a presentation on day one and lays it all out on the table for you to know. And they will plan English speaking only events during the cruise to help everyone get acquainted.

So what other questions do you have? And if no others, I hope you book this cruise and have a wonderful time. Costa could just be your new favorite line!

if you go with an attitude of wanting everything to be like at home, you will not have a great time.

go with an open mind and you will have a wonderful trip. i've done 2 longer cruises with costa and have another booked for november.

The dress code will be printed each day in the daily newsletter that is delivered to your room. Dress will be one of three: casual or infomal, formal or gala.

Casual or informal is slacks, collared shirts for men. Blouses and either skirts or slacks for women. Formal is a shirt and tie with slacks for men. Formal for women is an evening dress. Gala for men is a full suit or tuxedo. Gala for women is an evening gown or something glittery. What you women wear :)

I have found that most men just pack one jacket and the majority wear a suit. Only about 20% will wear a full tuxedo and they are usually the ones taking pictures with the ship photographers.

The first night will be casual/informal. The last night is usually casual/informal or formal. There will be two gala nights. Do not forget your camera any night while at dinner! Dinner is a great show on some nights and you do not want to be caught without your camera.

Enjoy your cruise.

Thinking of booking a Classica cruise. Have never been on Costa. What is the dress code for dinner? Do they have formal nights? It will be a 7 night cruise. Thanks!

costa has a 'suggested' dress code, as posted above. unfortunately, they to do enforce it. i asked the maitre 'd on my last cruise why people were being allowed in the dining room wearing shorts and t-shirts at dinner (formal night, even). his response was "at the direction of the home office, nobody is to be turned away". to his credit, he didn't appear to like the policy anymore than i did.

I understand that a lot of people have been on Costa ships and have had a great time and I would like to believe that this is the case on the newer ships.

However we sailed on the Classica last year and cannot agree with what these reviewers have said.

The Classica is an old ship and is showing its age. the decor is drab, the food dissapointing and the entertainment childish. The weather on our Far east cruise was not good and the decks leaked with water pouring through the ceilings on the lower decks. Smoking is allowed inside the ship on one side but of course it filters into the other side of the bar. The buffet is not open at night, so there is no food availble from the close of the lunch service (3 pm i think)until your dinner sitting. They do serve pizza in the smoky bar at 9 pm. So if you come back from an excursion late afternoon there is no food. There are many other things I could add but needless to say we were dissapointed, having gone with lower expectations due to the price , you get what you pay for.

I hope since we went with them they have addressed these issues and things have improved.

If you have cruised before go with an open mind.

I understand that a lot of people have been on Costa ships and have had a great time and I would like to believe that this is the case on the newer ships.

However we sailed on the Classica last year and cannot agree with what these reviewers have said.

The Classica is an old ship and is showing its age. the decor is drab, the food dissapointing and the entertainment childish. The weather on our Far east cruise was not good and the decks leaked with water pouring through the ceilings on the lower decks. Smoking is allowed inside the ship on one side but of course it filters into the other side of the bar. The buffet is not open at night, so there is no food availble from the close of the lunch service (3 pm i think)until your dinner sitting. They do serve pizza in the smoky bar at 9 pm. So if you come back from an excursion late afternoon there is no food. There are many other things I could add but needless to say we were dissapointed, having gone with lower expectations due to the price , you get what you pay for.

I hope since we went with them they have addressed these issues and things have improved.

If you have cruised before go with an open mind.

no tea offerred? both times i have cruised costa (and on their older ships) there was a nice tea served with snacks in the lido. it's not like princess where the buffet goes 24x7.

re: your problems with smoking, that could've been easily researched. that would be your fault.

Hi Cool Cruiser,

I see you were on the Costa Classica recently.

We are going on that trip in late September. Can you give us any

ideas of what so see and where to go. We hope to meet up with people who

might like to get together for excursions.

Mary from Ireland

marybrigidagnes 1941

If you see someone today without a smile- give them one of yours.

no tea offerred? both times i have cruised costa (and on their older ships) there was a nice tea served with snacks in the lido. it's not like princess where the buffet goes 24x7.

re: your problems with smoking, that could've been easily researched. that would be your fault.

That is rather a strong response, we did know smoking was allowed inside but did not know how bad it was going to be.

As for food there was nothing in the Lido even the bars were closed due to the bad weather and very high seas.

We were on the Classica cruise after the one where it hit the freighter in Shanghai we were delayed boarding for 2 days while they welded the patch on the side.

http://www.*****************/travelpage/ubb-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=1&t=012019

The crew were very unhappy as they had not been paid for the previous week when the ship was being repaired.

I was only adding our true experiences

Hi Cool Cruiser,

I see you were on the Costa Classica recently.

We are going on that trip in late September. Can you give us any

ideas of what so see and where to go. We hope to meet up with people who

might like to get together for excursions.

Mary from Ireland

marybrigidagnes 1941

If you see someone today without a smile- give them one of yours.

Sorry who was this question to?

• 2 weeks later...

To any of you that have sailed the Costa Classica out of Trieste; The itinerary says that the ship arrives back in Trieste at 9:00AM at the end of the sailling. Does anyone remember the earliest time that passengers were allowed to disembark the ship? We will be trying to catch an 11:20AM dosemtic Italy flight to Rome from Trieste's airport on the day we arrive back to Trieste. I know the airport is 20 miles from the pier and about a 40 minute drive by Taxi. Are Taxis lined up near the pier at arrival in Trieste, has anyone tried to catch a flight as early as ours, and does anyone know approximately how much the cab fare to Trieste's airport is from the pier? Thank you in advance!

• 4 weeks later...
Hi there,

I have booked for a large party of 17 of us to go on Costa classica, reading all the negative reviews I feel like what have I done. Some say the food is like school dinners onboard, others say its a really run down ship. Can you enlighten me please.

the food is certainly not like a school cafeteria. most of the complaints about food come from north americans who are expecting 'olive garden' type italian food (olive garden is a psuedo-italian casual restaurant chain.) costa's food it is not driping in cream and cheese like olive garden serves.

i have some food pics from my costa europa cruise here: http://family.webshots.com/album/562887188epBbwL

the food is certainly not like a school cafeteria. most of the complaints about food come from north americans who are expecting 'olive garden' type italian food (olive garden is a psuedo-italian casual restaurant chain.) costa's food it is not driping in cream and cheese like olive garden serves.

i have some food pics from my costa europa cruise here: http://family.webshots.com/album/562887188epBbwL

Thank you for that, that is very reassuring and the food looks very nice indeed and as you say healthy and wholesome. Hope you enjoy your next cruise and I am looking forward to mind now too. I booked the extra all inclusive drinks package that looks such great value for money. Cheers! Kind regards

Just booked the 7 day Costa Classica Trieste to Venice trip because it was so CHEAP $299 per person. Of course we have all heard about the two recent incidents with Costa Ships and reading reviews of the ship and its less than stellar approval rating, but you know what, WHO CARES! The whole reason of this trip is to see the beautiful cities along the Adriatic it stops in...Let's be serious people, how could you travel to 7 different cities, spend probably enough time in each to get a good feel, have a place to stay, transportation between, meals to eat and entertainment (albeit high school productions level) for $45 a day? NO WHER! I have always believed any cruise is what you make of it, and I welcome a cruise with fewer Americans and a more International clientele. I am very excited about this itinerary and the fantastic deal I got for it. Trust me any cruise can be as great or horrible as you make it.

Oh and by the way, we got upgraded to an oceanview cabin. Not too bad for my first cruise on Costa.

As a sideline, we are then taking the Celebrity Reflection back from BCN and look forward to seeing the new ship. It will be my 4th transatlantic cruise.

Hi Manthetravelman,

You sound like a sound man. I couldn't agree more with your sentiment.

If you are looking for international we would be happy to meet you if you

are sailing on 29th September. We are from Ireland and are 'seniors'.Any

whenever you go enjoy, and,

If you meet someone today without a smile - give them one of yours.

Maryba

Well, that is what I thought how else could you tour the Emirates for as little as £229.00 for 7 days and get three meals a day? Plus we ordered the drinks package which is incredible value. I looked at booking a hotel in Dubai and it's almost £200 per night for a decent room without any food not even breakfast included. So, with that in mind I think its incredible value plus get to see some of the other countries in and around the Emirates. Cheers!

Archived