River cruise and family

cruisintwinsmom

River cruises are not ship intensive. Although we have not seen such family groupings on the trips we have taken I see no reason why it would not work as long as they enjoy signhtseeing and the charm of the small towns that you will visit. They keep you pretty busy on these river cruises.

Clarence

Would you recommend a river cruise to a family of 4. I have 2 DD's who are 17. We have done cruises before. They didn't participate much in the kids stuff, so they do not need a dedicated youth program.

Thanks for your help!

Depends on the kids, and possibly on the itinerary. I took my son on the VIKING BURGUNDY when he was 17 and on Deilmann's CASANOVA when he was 18, and he enjoyed both cruises.

On a river cruise, the cruising segments tend to be relatively brief and passengers can spend a lot of time ashore, so your daughters shouldn't feel too trapped. :-)

One itinerary that you might want to consider is a Rhone-Saone cruise in Southern France, which includes everything from a lively, walkable city (Lyon) to Roman ruins. My son loved it. (So did I.) See my VIKING BURGUNDY review (based on an October, 2003 cruise) at:

http://europeforvisitors.com/europe/cruising/viking-burgundy.htm

Archived