Groceries/Beach Chairs from Costco

vacationman

What can I expect for the price difference between a Costco on the mainland and Costco on Oahu? We are in a kitchen unit at the HHV and would like to buy our own groceries for most of our breakfasts and lunches. But, I am not sure if it would be better to order through Netgrocer before we leave or wait and go to Costco (or Sam's Club) once we get to Oahu.

In addition, we would like to purchase some beach chairs inexpensively and hope that Costco would have them. Or, would we be better off going to a Walmart type store?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Probably better to get your own groceries when you get here - you'll be able to select your own items. I'm almost positive beach chairs can be found at Costco - if you don't for whatever reason, you can go to K-mart to pick up cheap ones (Walmart is on Oahu but might be somewhat hard to find)). As always, the difficulty with buying groceries at Costco is sheer quantity - may be hard to use up before you leave. Safeway or other local grocery stores may be better choices. There's a Foodland that's near Kapahulu which is reasonably close to Waikiki.

Spleen

Agree with Spleen (as almost always) on the "bulk" issues at Costco. They also have beach chairs but unless you're planning on lugging them home, you're probably better off buying cheaper chairs and mats at K-Mart or Walmart (both relatively convenient to HHV). There's also a Foodland in Ala Moana Center - probably the closest "full" supermarket to HHV.

Archived