Timing of picking hotel in Ft. lauderdale

mii

We will be flying to Fort Lauderdale next May 2,2006 for a cruise. If I choose not to use priceline how far in advanced should I book my room. Is there is anything going on during that date for example boat shows, etc.

Marilyn

The boat show is the last weekend of October. The first weekend of May is traditionally the AirSea show, but it's currently up in the air as to whether or not that will be back in Fort Lauderdale next year or move elsewhere. If the organizers can get together with the city and it comes back then everything near the beach will most likely be full... If not, there won't be much going on here then.

Thanks Trent: I had thought I read somewhere on this thread about air shows so I just wanted to make sure. It would be in the area of 17th st. where the major hotels are for example Marriott, Embassy Suites, etc. So I think that I will really consider making reservations really soon. Again thanks.

Marilyn

I need a hotel for a pre-cruise stay next February. I will start bidding on priceline around August or so. In the past, I have always had my bids accepted for a March stay around September, but who knows. I say as soon as your plans are firm, start bidding.

If you want the Marriott Hotel and Marina, bid 3* downtown, I have been awarded this hotel twice and really love it.

Please let us know when your bid is accepted and which hotel and price you received.

Mii,

I have been looking for a pre-cruise hotel in Ft Lauderdale for Feb 24, 2006. I have tried some lower bids on Priceline but haven’t had any success yet. This past Feb I got the Marriott Hotel and Marina for $75, but in checking the Marriott site, the room which was listed at $249 two months ago has zoomed to $359 for this coming Feb. I also am wondering if any hotel rooms, for that far ahead, have been reserved for Priceline yet. I have been on www.biddingfortravel.com but haven’t seen any action for next year. I think I will book a cancelable reservation somewhere and then try Priceline later this summer.

Twocruisers, I believe its too early for any inventory to have been released to priceline for February. Stay tuned, I'll post when and if I get a bid accepted through priceline and if you would, could you post it when you receive yours. Please put hotel won and price won at. Thanks.

I am confused. So many posters talk about Priceline and bidding when you can do the same research on Hotwire and know the price ahead of time. Why bid $50 for a 3 star hotel when you can get a 3 star for $50 on Hotwire. Same location data, so I am confused. I would prefer to at least know the star rating and a price before I submit my credit card and information. Am I wrong?

Maybe its the time of the year that I sail, but I have never seen a 3* hotel downtown for $50 on hotwire, they have always been way over $100 or more. On hotwire, you still don't know the name of the hotel until you choose it, but if you know how to read the icons, I am told you can pretty much pick it out.

I need more help.......what icons are you talking about? How can you read them? I have found a 3 star hotel in Seattle for $50 plus taxes and fees, like a Holiday Inn or Doubletree which seems fine for us. Thanks for the info.

OregonDuck, the icons on Hotwire I am talking about are right there under the description of the hotel its offering. I have never seen a hotel name come up where I am looking. It shows a fork and knife, meaning that the hotel has a restaurant, it will show someone swimming meaning its got a pool, it shows an umbrella, meaning its close to the beach, those are the icons I am talking about. Does that help??????

I was talking about Ft. Lauderdale downtown, not Seattle. Perhaps that's the difference in prices.

Thanks so much for your help. I got the Hilton for $50 plus tax ($65 total) for June 2nd, prior to going on the Mercury to Alaska. Hotwire!!!! Will try in January for Ft. Lauderdale when we go on the Westerdam. I'm still learning.

Oregonduck, the Westerdam is a beautiful ship, you certainly will enjoy her. Try priceline for Ft. Lauderdale, I always bid the downtown zone, 3* and so far have gotten the Marriott Hotel and Marina twice and had to add the beach zone for another stay as the Marriott was sold out on the date I needed. For that stay, I received the Radisson, great hotel, but I just prefer the Marriott. Good luck. Please visit us over on the HAL board.

We're all still learning, that's why these boards are so wonderful, so many helpful people. That's how I have learned how to bid in Ft. Lauderdale, many helpful people. Now priceline isn't so scarey for me. Good luck.

I too am looking for a pre-cruise hotel in late February. I have been reading about Priceline and am still a little timid about using it. However, we plan on being in Fort Lauderdale for about 3 nights, and the $250+ nightly rate make me want to learn Priceline really quickly. I have also read on these boards about the Hyatt Pier 66--is that ever on Priceline? Any other words of reassurance to boost my confidence about using Priceline would be welcome.

Rsedei, I was very leary about priceline, but once my bid was accepted, I was thrilled and hooked on priceline. Before using priceline, please go to these two web sites, which are a wealth of information: http://www.biddingforfun.com and http://www.biddingfortravel.com great sites to learn about priceline.

I will quickly tell you that on priceline, you have no control over which hotel will accept your bid. Once your bid is accepted, the hotel that accepted your bid will be shown to you, your charge card is charged immediately, you cannot change this reservation or cancel it, you are basically stuck, so don't bid on priceline til your plans are firm.

This is how I bid: 3* downtown Ft. Lauderdale, once my bid was accepted at $52 for a Sunday night stay and 2nd time was $75 for a Saturday night stay.

I had to bid 3* downtown and beach zones since I was having no luck in the downtown area, bid $100 and got the Radisson, great spot, but my favorite hotel is still the Marriott.

You mentioned the Hyatt Regency Pier 66, yes this has been awarded on priceline, you would bid 4* beach zone to try to win this hotel on priceline.

Hope this helps, but please read those two web sites I listed above, they are a great help.

Good luck, any other questions, please ask away.

Doone, thank you so much for your advice. I think I will take the plunge and give it a try. Like you, I'm not sure when is too early to book for February and when is too late, but I guess I will start soon and see what happens. I don't know how anyone cruises without the help offered on these boards. Thanks all!

Rsedei, your welcome and I agree, I don't know how we cruised before these boards, probably blindly!!!! As soon as your plans are firm and priceline has opened up for your dates, you can start bidding. Historically, for me anyways, when I was sailing in March, twice I got my bids accepted in September and once in December. So, who knows, I won't start bidding for my February pre-cruise stay til around August or so. Please post here and let us know how you make out. Good luck, I hope you get the Marriott, that's my favorite hotel.

Doone I need to ask you a question. I am willing to try Priceline but the one thing that stops me is that I would prefer two queens or 2 doubles and a smoking room. Now I realize that on priceline you are only guaranteed a king and non-smoking room. Is there a problem to calling the hotel after your bid is accepted to try to change to what you want. Really need some input there.

Marilyn

Mii, I am a smoker as well an have always been able to get a smoking room at time of check in. I have called the hotel ahead of time to put these requests in, but usually because you book on priceline, they won't put the request in. I have never had it be a problem.

In the past, the beds I have received have always been 2 double beds. I have found the hotels I have stayed in to be very accomodating when they can be and out of the 3 times I have used priceline, I have always had my requests honored.

Hope that helps. Anyother questions, please ask away.

Your welcome, good luck. After you do it once, its not so scarey, I have become to be addicted to priceline. Just be sure once your bid is accepted and you see the hotel, print a copy of it because that's how you need to check into the hotel. Let us know how you make out.

I probably should have mentioned Doone that I am not in need of a hotel until next May 2006, so I thought I would try for Priceline around Sept or Oct. How does that sound. Also my preferences are either 3 or 4 star. The three stars are the mariott and Embassy Suites and the 4 star is the Renanaissance(sp) and Hyatt pier 66. Would I start with the 3 star around $50.00; if not accepted then try 4 star with a lets say $75.00 bid. How does that sound. Thanks Doone.

Marilyn

Your timing is probably right on the money. I need a hotel for a pre-cruise stay for Feb 2006 and I plan on starting to bid around August or so. In the past, I have gotten the Marriott for $52 for a Sunday night stay and $75 for a Saturday night stay. I think $50 may be a bit low now-a-days for a 3*.

I will post here when I receive my hotel and what my bid was accepted at. From what I understand or have read here, the Embassy Suites haven't been awarded on priceline in a few years, but that can always change. I guess the cruise lines are booking that hotel for their passengers. I love the Marriott, its a great hotel, its 3* downtown, that's how I always try to bid. A 4* hotel will probably be around $100 or so. Either way, you'll get a great hotel, I just prefer the Marriott if I can get it. For the money, you can't beat it.

Thanks Doone: I really do appreciate your input. I am going to keep on searching and reading all of the posts that priceline is the subject and hopefully with your input I can be successful. Again Thanks so much Doone. In fact a week from Sat. I leave on a cruise to Alaska, my third trip there so when I get back on June 9 I am really going to start read, read, read everything I can get my hands on. Again thank you Doone.

Marilyn

Archived