Taxi to Shirley Hieghts

Yankee2033

Hi

Has anyone got any experience of taking a taxi to Shirley Heights? We arrive in Antigua on a Sunday and want to spend the late afternoon up there. I am trying to find out how safe taking a taxi is and an average cost for thr driver to stay in the area for 3-4 hours.

Many Thanks

Jayne

Hi

Has anyone got any experience of taking a taxi to Shirley Heights? We arrive in Antigua on a Sunday and want to spend the late afternoon up there. I am trying to find out how safe taking a taxi is and an average cost for thr driver to stay in the area for 3-4 hours.

Many Thanks

Jayne

When we went to Shirley Heights a few years ago, we did it as part of a three hour taxi tour that included Nelson's Dockyard, Shirley Heights, and a few other scenic stops along the way. The price was $25 per person and we signed up at the tour booth located right as you walk off the pier. The price just to take a taxi to Shirley Heights would be much more (and they wouldn't want to hang out for a few hours or come back, most likely). When we stopped at Shirley Heights, it was just a scenic overlook and not much else. I don't think you would want to stay for more than a short visit, like 15 to 30 minutes tops.

Nelson's Dockyard, on the other hand, was a wonderful little marina, and village with shops and restaurants, and lots of nice yachts. I would have loved to have spent more time there.

We tried to just grab a taxi to Nelson's Dockyard, but the price one way was considerably more than the fare for the tour. You might want to consider that option. Just ask at the tour stand what your options are. If you take an official taxi in Antigua, you should be perfectly fine. Once you pass the main tour stand area, there are pleny of other non-official drivers who will offer you tours. I, personally, would stick with the offical taxis.

There may be a bus option to either Shirley Heights or Nelson's Dockyard that others may be able to help you with.

Scenic overlook at Shirley Heights

2507634540104390106S600x600Q85.jpg

famous musician's estate viewed from Shirley Heights:

2204608200104390106S600x600Q85.jpg

Another view from Shirley Heights:

2556117090104390106S600x600Q85.jpg

I think this was the only little shop there:

2840515750104390106S600x600Q85.jpg

Susan

Hi Susan

Thank you for your reply and advice. We are visiting Shirley Heights on a Sunday when the bands are playing. I have read somewhere on here that taxis will stay with you while we spend a few hours there. I will do some more research on line.

Thanks once again

Jayne:)

Hi Susan

Thank you for your reply and advice. We are visiting Shirley Heights on a Sunday when the bands are playing. I have read somewhere on here that taxis will stay with you while we spend a few hours there. I will do some more research on line.

Thanks once again

Jayne:)

That sounds like fun! I hope you find what you are looking for. When we went to Valley Church Beach this year, we took a van taxi that wanted to come back at a designated time to pick us all up, but since we were all from different groups with different plans for departure, we just grabbed the first van available to take us back. Since it sounds like they have special plans for Shirley Heights that day, maybe there will be cab drivers that will either wait or come back for you.

Good luck- I love Antigua!

Susan

Archived