Pre-cruise in Copenhagen

We are on the Sept. 18th cruise on the Westerdamn (Copenhagen to Rome). In order to fly business using FF we need to leave Atlanta on the 12th. We would like to spend the first 3 days & nights outside of Copenhagen. (friends arrive on the 16th and we will stay in Copenhagenthen.) Any suggestions? We like Bed and Breakfasts. Thanks... K.

I forgot to congradulate you :cool: this morning when you e-mailed me that you finally got the Marriot. Now we will see you on the flight from LHR to CPH and then again at the Marriot. Also I saw someone say taxi's are $40.00 from the pier to the Airport so I think the $100 we are paying for the four of us that are travling together for our transfer in a Mercedes Van seems like a good price -- no searching for a cab and not wondering if four people's luggage -- people who don't care to pack lightly -- two tux per each guy plus assorted jackets and women who will decide which of the dozen formals they bought <LOL> they will wear after they get on the ship -- will fit.

You made me laugh about the overstuffed luggage. I, in fact, am in a 12-step Programme for Overpackers. :rolleyes:

I make lists and correct them, start packing a couple of weeks before, and then unpack and start over. :eek:

I try to get better on each cruise and seem to only worsen.

Your transfer sounds perfect. :D

Who did you hire the van through? There are four of us taking a smiliar trip at the end of July. We will fly from LHR to CPH also, then spend a couple of nights at the Marriott before our Baltic cruise. Would really appreciate your sharing any info regarding transportation from the airport to the hotel. No way will the four of us and our luggage fit in one taxi...:confused: . Princess Di - please let me know if the Overpackers program works for you, then I can also look into it;)

Hi Mike,

We'll be getting there later in the afternoon on the 30th. We'll be flying via London, and spending a night in London. Hopefully that will help a bit with the jet lag:o ...We'll keep in touch.

Ani

I forgot to congradulate you :cool: this morning when you e-mailed me that you finally got the Marriot. Now we will see you on the flight from LHR to CPH and then again at the Marriot. Also I saw someone say taxi's are $40.00 from the pier to the Airport so I think the $100 we are paying for the four of us that are travling together for our transfer in a Mercedes Van seems like a good price -- no searching for a cab and not wondering if four people's luggage -- people who don't care to pack lightly -- two tux per each guy plus assorted jackets and women who will decide which of the dozen formals they bought <LOL> they will wear after they get on the ship -- will fit.

Shelly, how many seats are in the Merc. van. Maybe you could save a few more dollars, if Princess Di also rides with you:eek:

Then if the van can accomodate two more passengers, we could all transfer from the hotel to the ship together, saving even more money;)

Donna already asked if she could slip into our transfer group, and as I told her we are scared :eek: that when the four of us plus our luggage are all together we may not have room enough without adding to the group. The four of us went on a seven day RT from Galveston on the Grand in January and we hired an Expo sixteen foot (or some absurd number of feet) stretch limo for our transfers and it was packed to the gills with luggage. We didn't, however, use any of the passenger compartment for luggage. Plus, and I hope this comes out without sounding snotty, when we travel we LOVE to meet people some of whom become close friends who we wind up traveling with in the future. But when we make private tour or transfer arrangements we want it to stay private. Money is not the issue for us, comfort and seeing what we want to see is. That's why I never quite understood why someone would want to join a group formed by another couple instead of just taking a group tour? :confused: Yes, six people is more personal than 60 people, but if I'm spending $6,000 for the cruise tickets for my wife and I and pulling 250,000 miles for "free" RT first class tickets, spending more for a couple of nights at the Marriot before the cruise (we got lucky on Priceline) and several thousand for hotels after the cruise (going to London to one of our two favorite hotels in the world), why would I want to not plan a private tour with my interests in mind. That, in our mind, is why we have arranged private tours in every port. This way the four of us get to plan on what we see. Some people, and I think it's great if it works for them, elect to eat on the run in the van to maximize time to site see. We think a hour and a half in a great local restaurant or hotel dining room, is part of our site seeing. I am not arguing that it is better to spend more money for no reason, I just don't see the virtue of someone else's idea of what we should see or do. The price difference, at least for us, doesn't justify the saving of joining another persons tour. As far as adding others to our arrangements, even if they are willing to live with our plans, I don't feel comfortable in making others play by our agenda if they are paying their own freight. Plus, logistically, most vans are either 6, 8, 16, 20 or 24 passenger sized (or coaches for 50-60 passengers). A 6 or 8 passenger van is perfect for 4 people plus a driver and guide or a driver/guide. Once you add two more people it turns out to be cramped unless you get the 16, 20 or 24 passenger van. These are 1) too large for only 6 people; and 2) they get to be so expensive for the tour company to rent that you need to have 12-14 people to bring the price down, so there goes the small personal tour.

So now you have the answer to why we don't add people to our transfers or tours. It is definitely not to insult anyone, and doesn't mean that we won't wind up getting to know each other and next time we will need to get a bigger van as we will choose to travel together.

I think I've got it! I did check to hotel websites & can't get anything at the Marriott for under $250. I have to wait til mid-July to start bidding, but $93 - $100 sounds great! There are 3 of us - is there a way to select 2 beds in a room - or do I need 2 rooms?

Archived