road at hana

muffy168

We are cruising Hawaii next week. We hope to rent a car at the ports and sightsee on our own. Does anyone know how long the road to Hana is, do we have time to do it and get back to the ship? We'll have all day as we are there two days. Thanks Cari

We are plannig to rent a van at Lahaina (We're on NCL Wind, at Lahaina 8am - 9pm), and drive to Hana. On the way back might like to go around the island rather than the same way. NCL offers the tour at $99/person, that'll be $600 for the six of us. Would be interested if someone has hired a local van off the pier.

The following is what I found at another place:

As for the drive to Hana - the only way you would leave sea level is if you choose to drive around the backside on your return trip home. (I like it for the variety and highly recommend it - but rental company's don't like their cars going back there) The elevation peaks out at about 2500 feet as you come into Ulupalakua. If you can do it the drive is much easier on the stomach (much straighter roads) Whatever you do - don't try driving out around sunset (it's plays havock on your eyes and makes the road very difficult to see no matter which direction you drive back). Don't drive the backside after dark (lots of cattle on the dark roads that cannot be seen - trust me - it's a spooky drive at night on the backside.

Also enjoy the drive at slow pace (the speed limit for much of it is 15 mph). Pull over any time someone gets on your tail as a lot of people commute this road daily and just want to get home (and drive it at 40mph) If you are not diving plan on 10 hours to go and come back at least (it usually takes me 3 hours to drive to Hana from Lahaina with no sightseeing)

The traffic going out is usually lighter if you leave Kahului about 10:30 (you miss the morning and lunch traffic both) early morning you drive into all the commuters going to work and later morning is all the tourist traffic going to Hana (better than the oncoming work traffic in the early morning though) If you return the same way you went out - it is often easiest after dark as you can see oncoming headlights much easier than driving with the sun in your eyes.

Don't expect Waterfalls unless it is raining - if it is raining -you will see LOTS of waterfalls (and get wet - but don't worry, it's warm rain)

There are advantages to driving it yourself and there are advantages to taking a tour - both are fun. I prefer going at my own pace, stopping wherever I want.

Fill up the tank with gas as you will only pass two gas stations during most of the day (and just so you know - gas is currently $2.62/gal on Maui). A sack lunch is nice, but there is a plate lunch "window" where you can eat and two small stores.

Lots more that I could say - but just have a great time - it is beautiful!

We just got back from Hawaii and did the road to Hana. It took us from 8 a.m. till about 5 p.m. This included lost of stops and lunch at a restaurant in Hana. Also, I highly recomend the map and CD from the Shell station right before the road going to Hana. It cost $20 and was well worth it.

Keep in mind the distance is not long, but with over 600 curves, one-way bridges, and exquisite beauty, this is not a trip you want to rush anyways. We have done the trip in June and saw quite a few waterfalls, and went past Hana to Oheo Gulch (seven sacred pools) which are great as well. Be sure to stop and check out the windsurfers at Ho'okipa Point also. That's what takes the time - too many great things to see along the way. The small hike back to Twin Falls is nice too, and a stop at the black sand beach is a must. Plan for a full day. Good advice regarding the CD and map, or get Frommers Maui and they have a Hana Road guide as well as other cool Maui spots. Have fun.

Hi mlkazmer.

How long did it take from Hana to Oheo Gulch (seven sacred pools)? We are thinking of driving there, and from there continue round the island on the way back.

Also curious, what time does it get dark (I understand the season is different, but for reference)

Thanks.

Sorry forgot about the dark question. We were just there in Feb. and it got dark around 6:30, but like you said that'll be different with the seasons. If I remember right, it was about 8-8:30 when we were last there during a late spring time period.

Spleen - you can answer this one far better... what time is dark:30 in the islands?

From Hana it was no more than 30-45 minutes and that was with a couple of stops.QUOTE]

30-45 min. with some stops? Hmm, it looks a lot closer on the map.

We'll be there Sept. 1, doing the Lahaina to Hana drive. We are considering doing this round the island by going to Oheo Gulch . In another post someone mentioned it saves 30 min. coming back that way (vs. the winding road to Hana).

I am looking forward to the Road to Hana. The 3-hr Icefield Parkway drive between Banff to Jasper is said to be among the prettiest in the world. We took 2 days to drive it once, with lots of stops. We'll see how this compare.;)

I guess I'm including the stop at Oheo Gulch. The road from Hana to the Gulch was not great - supposedly better now - but we wanted to take it all in, so we were out of the car a couple of times looking around and snapping pix. I'm sure if you drove straight there you could probably make it 10-15 minutes.

Because Hawaii is a lot closer to the equator than the 48 states, the difference in day length between winter and summer isn't as large (trust me on this). The sunset today in Honolulu is 7:02 PM. The latest "civil sunset" time is around 7:20, and dusk doesn't last as long at lower latitudes either. If you were in Hana and decided to head back to Kahului beginning at 7:00, most of it would be with headlights on. Really - the trick is to start the drive to Hana early.

Last time I took the road to Hana, the rental company expressly forbid taking the road around the island due to the condition of the road. This was several years ago. Have they improved the condition of the road?

The Rental Companies still have a clause in their contracts forbidding driving in these areas. No the condition of the road has not improved, it is still an unimproved road and can be quite hazardous to drive espescially during rain. JMO but in addition to keep from realigning the front end of their rental cars frequently, another reason is probably to keep traffic low. Imagine what a nightmare that road would be if only half of the cars going to Hana, traveled that portion.

We are doing the Wind in mid-August and have arranged to take a Limo tour to Hana. I don't have my notes, but we are paying a little over $600 for the limo (this total includes tax, tip, etc). They will pick us up in Lahaina at 8:30 and drop us back off at 5:30. Here's a link to the website if anyone is interested.

http://www.hawaiiansuntravel.com/RatesFlyer.html

Julie

The last time I was on the road beyond Oheo Gulch and back around the south side was in 2000 (several times before that also). it is NOT an unimproved road or a 4wd road. It is quite narrow for a few miles with some blind turns (but you're on the inside of the turns, which is quite comforting!). It is then dirt (but graded dirt) for a few miles, then crappy old pavement, then very good pavement. Usually the best way of finding out its current condition is to ask the Park Service naturalists at the visitor center/book store at Oheo Gulch. They usually have a sign that indicates the condition of the road. Is it a difficult drive? Well, after Oheo Gulch the road descends towards the ocean and the terrain/fauna change very quickly, the road narrows, and you go around a few sharp turns that make you think, "Boy oh boy did I something stupid." But after that it really isn't bad at all - remember, it IS a dirt road for a while, so forget any 40MPH, in fact you can't go very fast until the good pavement begins past the Kaupo store. But it's not a 4WD road at all. I felt very comfortable driving in your basic rental car. Just roll down the window, drive the posted limits, and enjoy.

Why do the rental cars not want you back there? Simple. If there is a breakdown or something bad happens - busted hose, fanbelt, etc- you're a long way from a towtruck. That's pretty much it. But it's not because it's dangerous or you're going to be swept away by frequent mudslides (remember, check with the naturalists first!). Frankly, I found the road from Kapalua around the east side back to Kahului FAR more hairy than the south Maui road.

Look - I'm not telling people to get all comfy and violate their car rental agreement (if it's even mentioned - sometimes it is, sometimes it isn't). But don't decide against it because you think it's some awful unimproved 4wd trail, where you bang around rocks the size of refrigerators. Unless it's deteriorated completely in the past few years, it's a neat drive. Use your discretion. Here's a simple test - if you found the drive from Kahului to Hana and beyond to Oheo Gulch a serious challenge, don't go on. Everybody's "white knuckle" meter is different.

We are Maui regulars, spend several months each winter there, and drive the road to Hana often. Just made our last trip to Hana a month ago.

The rental car companies put that "Do Not Drive" stipulation in their contracts because they don't want to send a tow truck out there if you run into any trouble, and that provides them with an "escape" from doing so. In other words, if you break down out there for any reason, they won't come to get you. But....aren't most rental cars in great shape and won't break down?

The road beyond Hana and on back to Kahului via Oheo Gulch is fine. There are a few miles of dirt and some potholes, but the rest is paved. We've driven it each year for many years in a typical Nissan Sentra/Toyota Corolla-type rental car and had no problem at all. We don't, however, take that route after a heavy rain, just to be on the safe side.

The "back" side isn't nearly as picturesque as the "front" side and has a lot less traffic, but it's still very enjoyable and we definitely prefer doing the "whole Hana circle".

Meals in Hana, however, can be a challenge. Not much to choose from. We always take a picnic lunch, and if we don't stop along the way, we enjoy it at Tedeschi Winery (they have picnic tables in such a serene setting), also a great place to stop to taste Maui wines.

My biggest recommendation is leave early in the morning to be ahead of the traffic...much better! Also check to see if road construction is still underway (it has been these past few months). If so, consider taking the trip on a weekend when there is no construction. Another pointer is that delivery trucks travel on weekdays, and getting behind one of them can sure delay your journey.

Best thing is to LEAVE EARLY and be ahead of the pack!

Enjoy :-)

Patti o--If we leave early (by 7:30am), make some reasonable stops at key points of interest and want to take the road beyond Hana and on back to Kahului via Oheo Gulch can we get back to our ship by 6:00pm?

Ditto Spleen.

If a person wanted to, they could always drive the road to Hana for a ways and then turn around.

In all honesty, yes it's beautiful and quite an experience, but once you've started seeing all the waterfalls and hairpin turns in the road, it's the same all the way to Hana. You could drive it for a while, get a good exposure to it, and then turn back to do other fun Maui things.

So much more to the island than the road to Hana, IMO.

Okstfan: That's cutting it close, IMO, especially if your ship is in Lahaina. Kahului port would be closer, but you'll have a definite traffic issue through Kahului mid-afternoon either way. I don't know if I'd chance it.

Although....we have left Kihei at 7:00-7:30 a.m., driven to Hana with a few stops here and there, stopped at Lindberg's Grave, skipped Oheo Gulch (7 Pools), continued via the 'back' route, had a half-hour picnic at Tedeschi Winery, and been back to Kihei by late afternoon.

Just info for either way, but it will be close in that timeframe.

Archived