California Coastal with Kids

andovertravelers

Hi - we're an extended family including grandparents, parents, and 6 kids ages 7-13. We are thinking of doing the California Coastal Cruise next April and are wondering if there will be other families on board, or is this more of a kid-free cruise? Any advice appreciated! I also posted on the Family Cruise board.

We did the California Coastal this past April 28th aboard Sapphire Princess. The crew was fantastic, the food was delicious, the service was amazing, the ports were terrific, but there were very very very few children aboard. We were all over the ship and saw some stroller-aged children but school-age kiddos were not to be found. Could be because it was the end of April and far from spring-break time, I don't know. Quite an older crowd. But... do not despair. We took our kids on a cruise when they were in 6th and 8th grade and even though there were few children back then on the ship in 1999 our kids had a blast with what was offered. Hope this helps.

It's always tough to tell about the kid-ability of an itinerary. April does have Easter and Spring break weeks, and there is a wide range within those two categories. The second and third weeks are most probable for a higher kid onboard ratio, and one must also consider when the California Colleges have their break times....

I work in education, and we are booked on a Calif Coastal trip next April during MY spring break, so I am expecting there to be a bit higher kid count. As for the itinerary itself, Each of the coastal cities has a rather good selection of kid-friendly, if not kid-centric venues. How you and yours mesh with the cruising idea itself and of course the ship's offerings will probably need a bit of research.

May I share that even when my boy was around 12, he found a favorite breakfast place, and hooked up with a few boys ranging in age from 8 to 16. No problem. Our girl kept a bit more to herself and found reading and sunbathing areas, and even some quiet time on the balcony. Hope this helps.

Hi- we'll be on the coastal cruise March 30th-April 6th with a 14 yr old girl & an 18yr old guy. Can't wait!! This will be our kids' 7th(!!!) cruise, all on Princess. I love the family time on these trips!! Which week were you planning to cruise?

The LA school district takes off the week leading up to Easter and I imagine many other school districts around here do too. (it seems as if Catholic private schools take the week following Easter off). As many locals would go on these cruises, that's something to consider.

Hi- we'll be on the coastal cruise March 30th-April 6th with a 14 yr old girl & an 18yr old guy. Can't wait!! This will be our kids' 7th(!!!) cruise, all on Princess. I love the family time on these trips!! Which week were you planning to cruise?

Thanks to all for the replies!!! We would be going during Massachusetts school vacation which is the April 13th week. I agree that there are many kid-friendly activities at most of the ports and to me it seems like a perfect way to give the kids an overview of California (none of them have ever been).

To those of you going, have a great trip and would love to see reviews!

Archived