Pics and video underwater - suggestions?

GrUvGrL

If you just want cheap and serviceable, we bought an Aquos something or other from Buy.com for $40. It's ok, the best thing about it is that it's cheaper than buying and developing two disposables. They have one with a housing and one without- if seals fail on the decent cameras, there's no way I would trust the seals on a $60 cheapy, so we went with the one with the housing. There's a link on one of the underwater camera threads in the Snorkeling and Diving forum from March-ish, probably.

Just be sure to replace the batteries, the ones that come with it are absolute junk.

The problem with housing is it makes things a bit bulky and clunky if you are swimming too, the Kodak is smaller than an iPhone and can easily be used with one hand. I agree about the floating strap if you are a bit prone to dropping things though, it doesn't float! :D

thumb.JPG?1294675828

We bought an Olympus TG-310 and have loved it. I'll post some underwater photos when I get home.

If you do purchase an underwater camera, read the directions. We had to put vaseline around the outside lining of the camera/battery section to seal it.

When we bought ours, we caught it on sale at Best Buy and got it for $100 new w/ accessories. They have some refurbished ones for that amount now.

I'm home so posting some pics as promised.

P1210118.jpgP1210067.jpg

P1210121.jpg

I tried to post some pictures from Photobucket, no luck. But here is a link to the pictures I took on when I fed the Stingrays. I was in a hurry when I took them, but am very pleased. Except I mistakenly put the setting on black and white.

Melanie

summercruisin' I was actually going to ask if you worked for kodak, but you made sure to set the record straight! LOL

You all have given me alot to think about and consider! Such wonderful pics and video!

Love the Pics Happy0810!

Loved your pic collage video MSRussell

Also love the video quality that TMWTim posted - I actually have the Nikon Coolpix P100 - takes lovely pics and video, but not waterproof!

I will have to make a purchase soon! T minus 1 month! I suspect the time will fly by before I know it if I donlt make a move soon... sadly on the flip side the 1 month wait in general will just draaaag... lol

Everyone has been so helpful. I will definately look into everyone's suggestions because as much as I hate to spend a couple brownies (I'm in Canada our 100's are brown) on a camera I really would be reasonable with my purchase and consider quality vs price!

You guys are a awesome bunch! Thanks again!

Try looking up some scuba dive sites, like THIS one. If all your looking for is a basic underwater camera, this one will do it. Im a diver and I started out with one similar. You also stand a good chance of finding a housing for your existing camera. Use "underwater camera housing" as a search term in Google & check scuba supply sites.

Check Walmart online too.

Some reliable websites to look at when buying cameras:

http://www.adorama.com

http://www.bhphoto.com

By the way, Target has the Pentax Optio WG-1 on special this week for $169, regularly it is $299. It's a great camera for the price.

http://www.target.com/p/pentax-optio-wg-1-14mp-digital-camera-with-5x-optical-zoom-black/-/A-13861000#?lnk=sc_qi_detaillink

http://www.pentaximaging.com/digital-camera/Optio_WG-1_GPS_Gray/

The model on sale does not have GPS but all the other specs are the same. By the way, the Canon D10 does not do HD video, it's 640x480 VGA. You have to move up to the Canon D20 to get HD video, it does 1080p but at a price range of $299 to $349 depending on where you buy it.

And bought ourselves a Kodak Playsport Zx5. Should be here beginning of next week.

25 days and counting.

I love mine....you are going to have a good time with it. It is really fast, also. My regular digital camera's battery died, just when I was going to get a sunset shot. Had my Kodak with me, whipped it out, turned it on and snapped fast.

Picture came out perfect! When you use the internal memory, then put an SD card in, it asks if you want the pictures transferred. COOL!

Looks like nobody is mentioning the sony bloggie sport. upside: great underwater video plus you can snap your stills while recording. downside:only 4gb internal flash memory and no sd card slot. also shock proof up to 5 foot drop on hard surfaces and water proof down to 16ft.

And bought ourselves a Kodak Playsport Zx5. Should be here beginning of next week.

25 days and counting.

Make sure you get an SD card or two as well, they cost very little now anyway. It uses the standard sized ones.

I have been considering options for underwater pics and video besides the obvious... buying a underwater camera.

I have 2 VERY good cameras that really are not ready for replacement so buying a camera even a $200 one is something I rather not consider. Or consider as a very last option.

There is the option of just purchasing a waterproof disposable - but you get pics no video

I was considering a water proof housing case for my current good camera, however at a cost of over $300 I would be better of just buying a cheap waterproof camera.

I have come across a waterproof case for a Iphone... 'aquabox' cost is anywhere between $35 to $70 depending on where you buy from and there are similar cases for Iphone (which to be honest... I would be very content with lessor quality photos from my Iphone for my underwater experience)

Was wondering if anyone has any better suggestions or any experience with the aqua box or any similar devices to waterproof a Iphone and how these devices worked for you... would be really crappy to ruin my Iphone and have to replace it.

Thanks!

Yes ! I bought a water proof case for my point and shoot KODAK . If you go to YOU TUBE and search for DICAPAC You can see the video the camera takes. I Paid $25.00 for mine.

I used it on my western caribean cruise about 5 times. I got some great photos and video.

i bought a Kodak Playfull Waterproof Camera with a Groupon for $40

but i can't attest to its quality because i haven't had a chance to use it yet....

i wanted something i could try and take pictures under water with. this will do video and still pictures....

Looks like nobody is mentioning the sony bloggie sport. upside: great underwater video plus you can snap your stills while recording. downside:only 4gb internal flash memory and no sd card slot. also shock proof up to 5 foot drop on hard surfaces and water proof down to 16ft.

I looked at a Bloggie at one of our local retail stores. I didn't like the touch screen. Granted that was a display model that had who knows how many hands on it before mine. :eek: I need some Purell.

Make sure you get an SD card or two as well, they cost very little now anyway. It uses the standard sized ones.

Yep, we have a computer retail store that sells cards at really reasonable prices. And their standard are cheaper than their micros by a lot.

i bought a Kodak Playfull Waterproof Camera with a Groupon for $40

but i can't attest to its quality because i haven't had a chance to use it yet....

i wanted something i could try and take pictures under water with. this will do video and still pictures....

I saw that on Groupon the other day too. It is sold out now. We opted for the higher mp sport. But I'm kind of a photo snob. :D

I saw that on Groupon the other day too. It is sold out now. We opted for the higher mp sport. But I'm kind of a photo snob. :D

yeah, we'll see how good it works....

it seemed like a good groupon deal though.... hopefully me and everyone else who bought it are happy with what we've gotten....

it was an impulse buy for me - saw it on groupon, said, hey, thats a good price for an underwater camera,

and i'd been considering a flip anyway.... this will do the job....

on an aside, how many GB for an SD card do i need to shoot video's???

Archived