Sea Caves (St Martins, NB)

Hi everyone,

I am hoping for a local or experienced "Sea caves" expert. Our ship will be in Saint John on August 27th. According to the tide schedules I have seen the low tide at St Martins is at 2:56 Atlantic time (about 2 pm ship time).

Heres my question... we want to walk out to the sea caves. Do you think we will have enough time to do this, as we need to be on board at 3:30 ship time (4:30 local)?

We figure if we leave St Martins by 2pm ship time (3pm local) we will be able to get back in time. Is 90 minutes enough time to get from the sea caves to the avis to drop the car off and then to board the ship?

Also, if we try walking to the caves an hour or two before low tide- how far out can we walk? Will we be able to get into the caves?

We have never been out here before and were hoping to get into the caves.

Thanks for your help

Hi there,

Great choice for a day trip from Saint John! St. Martin's and surrounding area is beautiful! It is approximately 1 hours drive to and from Saint John to St. Martin's. You will be able to explore the sea caves an hour or so before low tide. I have included the village's website for you to review. It has information about the sea caves as well as other information about the Fundy trail which is spectacular! http://stmartinscanada.com/events.htm

We live in Sussex, NB (about 65kms from Saint John). It is a beautiful little town set in a lovely rural area and worth a visit if you aren't able to schedule your trip to the shoreline.

I hope you enjoy your time in New Brunswick! I would be happy to give you any other information that you need from this area.

We were there just as the tide was coming in; be aware you walk across a light stream but it doesn't stay a light stream when tide is coming in and my new sneakers took a dunk. LOL. The pebbles on the beach are lovely. It's a short walk from the parking lot to the caves and they're really cool. Avis is right across the street from the ship.

Have fun!

Archived