And the nightmares begin

Ramrac

It may sound odd, but as a devoted horror fan and thrill junkie, I love nightmares. The more horrifying, the better. I always awaken from them saying, "Awesome!"

I've had quite a few cruise nightmares, with the typical missing documents storyline being most common, as well as missed flights -- but also two sinking ship dreams (productions of Costa, inc.). Haven't had any violent storm dreams yet, which would also be fun.

I dreamt I waited until the very last minute to book my cruise because I was hoping to get a steep last minute discount. But it turned out there were no more cabins available in any ship at all for the dates the dates I had my flights booked (no clue why I would book flights first). So I figured we could still vacation for a week in Miami since we had the plane tickets. Until I realized we hadn't even packed or left for the airport and it was already the 1:00pm, the day and time our flight was leaving so we missed it. I had managed to ruin our family's vacation! I woke up feeling very distressed. Very relieved to find out it was a dream :) but felt very real.

A word of advice...to avoid the very real nightmare of having to spend an extra day AFTER the cruise somewhere besides home due to weather or cancelled flights add a day to your travel insurance so that any emergency expenses (you know, those unplanned ones) are covered. This is especially true if you are travelling from Florida back up North in the winter time. (Not that you will encounter a lot of snow and ice in Florida but you could certainly be prevented from flying home due to weather there.)

:eek: I had a real nightmare last night. DH and I are on a cruise with our newborn baby. :eek: :eek: :eek: (we are in our mid fifties). Told DH about it when I woke up. His response: Yeah, that'll never happen!

I have these nightmares all the time, now, too.....but mine is due to a real nightmare.

On our cruise to Alaska we were flying in a day early to Seattle, as we always do. Our flight was leaving at 6:30am on Sat. morning and we got a call on Friday night at 10:00pm saying our flight was canceled due to storms in Dallas. (our connecting flight was there). So of course I panicked and said when's the next flight and they couldn't tell me cuz I had to call back the reservation desk. After 45 min. on hold. The agent told me they didn't have ANY flights available until Monday. (our cruise left on Sunday). So I asked don't they have another airline they could put us on....if I didn't ask, they weren't offering.....so they said they would try their sister airline. Came back 5 min. later and told me that they weren't picking up and they weren't allowed to hold for more then 5 min. and for me to call back in about an hour.....making it midnight by then.

Well I called back immediately again for another agent, and another 40 min wait....and FINALLY got one more sympathetic and willing to wait a few more min. due to our circumstances and got a flight out at 12:30 pm....so we get there in the morning and they tell us that Delta overbooked the flight and we would have to be put on the standby list.....fortunately we made it on that flight!

Talk about a nightmare!!!!:eek:

A word of advice...to avoid the very real nightmare of having to spend an extra day AFTER the cruise somewhere besides home due to weather or cancelled flights add a day to your travel insurance so that any emergency expenses (you know, those unplanned ones) are covered. This is especially true if you are travelling from Florida back up North in the winter time. (Not that you will encounter a lot of snow and ice in Florida but you could certainly be prevented from flying home due to weather there.)

We actually had this happen to us once. The airport in Philadelphia was closed due to snow, so we had to stay in San Juan for 2 extra days.;) I didn't have any extra days included in my trip insurance, but we received $150 a day each to cover hotel and meals until we could get flights home.

So I posted a thread last week about US Airways changing my flight time and being nervous about the change.

Well last night I had my first cruise nightmare. We got to the airport, boarded the plane and made it to our first stop. This flight apparently had 1 connecting flight even though our real flight is a straight shot. Once we got to the connecting airport we were told our flight had changed and our next flight would not leave until Sunday at 5pm. Well our cruise leaves on Saturday at 4pm. Long story short my whole dream was about me running through the airport trying to find a flight for me and my family and get to the ship on time.

I hate these types of dreams, I wake up feeling stressed :(

I had direct roundtrip flights booked with Continental/United from Newark to Tampa for a Sept cruise. As the new UNITED is going through and eliminating some flights since the merger my return flight was totally scratched and they moved me to one 6 hours later.

I called UNITED and after a brief polite explanation of the situation managed to get a full refund for my flights with no penalties since it was the airline that changed my times with a 5 hour difference. I re-booked 2 one-way flights and overall it was cheaper than the original roundtrip flight that was changed.

The airlines charges you as much as $150 to change your ticket, but since they changed it on me I managed to get that fee waved. Normally I'm ok if my return flight is changed, but an additional 5 hours of waiting was a bit much.

Hopefully, your new itinerary works out for you and your nightmare doesn't come alive making your family appear like you are on an episode of the Amazing Race. LOL

I have these nightmares all the time, now, too.....but mine is due to a real nightmare.

On our cruise to Alaska we were flying in a day early to Seattle, as we always do. Our flight was leaving at 6:30am on Sat. morning and we got a call on Friday night at 10:00pm saying our flight was canceled due to storms in Dallas. (our connecting flight was there). So of course I panicked and said when's the next flight and they couldn't tell me cuz I had to call back the reservation desk. After 45 min. on hold. The agent told me they didn't have ANY flights available until Monday. (our cruise left on Sunday). So I asked don't they have another airline they could put us on....if I didn't ask, they weren't offering.....so they said they would try their sister airline. Came back 5 min. later and told me that they weren't picking up and they weren't allowed to hold for more then 5 min. and for me to call back in about an hour.....making it midnight by then.

Well I called back immediately again for another agent, and another 40 min wait....and FINALLY got one more sympathetic and willing to wait a few more min. due to our circumstances and got a flight out at 12:30 pm....so we get there in the morning and they tell us that Delta overbooked the flight and we would have to be put on the standby list.....fortunately we made it on that flight!

OMG! That is stressful just reading. Luckily our flights are direct so as long as there isn't anything going on in Florida we should be ok.

Glad you guys were able to get on that flight.

I had direct roundtrip flights booked with Continental/United from Newark to Tampa for a Sept cruise. As the new UNITED is going through and eliminating some flights since the merger my return flight was totally scratched and they moved me to one 6 hours later.

I called UNITED and after a brief polite explanation of the situation managed to get a full refund for my flights with no penalties since it was the airline that changed my times with a 5 hour difference. I re-booked 2 one-way flights and overall it was cheaper than the original roundtrip flight that was changed.

The airlines charges you as much as $150 to change your ticket, but since they changed it on me I managed to get that fee waved. Normally I'm ok if my return flight is changed, but an additional 5 hours of waiting was a bit much.

Hopefully, your new itinerary works out for you and your nightmare doesn't come alive making your family appear like you are on an episode of the Amazing Race. LOL

They actually just changed our returning flight AGAIN to 5:45 pm...guess that is better than worrying whether or not we'll make the 11:45 am flight.

Nice stick-to-it-tiveness! You dug out of a jam there. More people could use your levelheaded approach.

I have cruise dreams even when I don't have anything booked. They're usually the same theme: It's the last day at sea and somehow I have managed to sleep through the whole thing - never got off the ship in any of the ports - so I'm trying to get a week's worth of cruising enjoyment in one day. I'm madly rushing around taking pictures, etc.

I did have one cruise dream that was different. It was a space cruise. ;) That one was fun.

So I posted a thread last week about US Airways changing my flight time and being nervous about the change.

Well last night I had my first cruise nightmare. We got to the airport, boarded the plane and made it to our first stop. This flight apparently had 1 connecting flight even though our real flight is a straight shot. Once we got to the connecting airport we were told our flight had changed and our next flight would not leave until Sunday at 5pm. Well our cruise leaves on Saturday at 4pm. Long story short my whole dream was about me running through the airport trying to find a flight for me and my family and get to the ship on time.

I hate these types of dreams, I wake up feeling stressed :(

That is why you go in a day ahead of time, so almost zero possibilities of missing your cruise.

Archived