Disappointed in Viking payment/return policies

id est

Let me start with this: we already sailed with Viking and had a wonderful cruise. However, my fault, I never paid attention to their payment/return policies. So this year we booked 2 more cruises with them. The one for December 2013 I booked about a month ago and have to pay it in full which I already did till the end of this month. However if I cancel it now I’ll incur $200 cancellation fee, which is pretty odd considering there is still 1.5 years left before the cruise. This month Viking increased past guest discounts to $600 per stateroom. And unlike ocean cruises folks who already booked can’t do price adjustment.

So overall it looks ridiculous to me even though I understand it is a company policy.

Here is my conclusion: I’ll never book Viking in advance. It really does not make any sense. Every month closer to the sailing they will decrease the price and do better promotions.

Or maybe it is time to try a different company.

You are not the first person to have an issue with Viking's payment policies. They seem to be the least customer orientated of all of the River cruise ship lines. However, it is unlikely that the cost of the cruise will go down significantly between now and when you cruise. River cruising is very different from ocean cruising in that there are many fewer cabins and most ships tend to book up quite a bit before sailing.

I sailed earlier this year with Avalon and there was a slight price drop (~$200) that occurred after we put a deposit down and when final payment was due. Avalon gave me a price adjustment.

I think it is time that you tried another river cruise line.

I don't know about other cruise lines, but Grand Circle will have true last minute specials, as much as half off, including air. Granted, you may not be able to get your first choice of dates or cabins at those prices, but they are true bargains, and, if you get a referral from a current customer for your first trip with them, you save an additional $100 per person. We have traveled with them 13 times, 5 river cruises, and sometimes pay full price for dates that tend to sell out and sometimes wait until last minute for savings.

You are not the first person to have an issue with Viking's payment policies. They seem to be the least customer orientated of all of the River cruise ship lines. However, it is unlikely that the cost of the cruise will go down significantly between now and when you cruise. River cruising is very different from ocean cruising in that there are many fewer cabins and most ships tend to book up quite a bit before sailing.

I sailed earlier this year with Avalon and there was a slight price drop (~$200) that occurred after we put a deposit down and when final payment was due. Avalon gave me a price adjustment.

I think it is time that you tried another river cruise line.

Dear YoungDubFan,

You are correct that there are differences between river cruising and ocean cruising – and we hope you’ll consider sailing with Viking River Cruises someday. We think you’d have a wonderful time on board our ships (should you decide to try us out). In regards to the negative comments about our customer service, we assure you that these encounters are not typical. Hopefully we’ll have the opportunity to show you that when you begin to plan your next cruise.

Sincerely,

Viking River Cruises

Dear Viking

Thanks very much for responding on these boards. This responsiveness greatly enhances Viking's credibility with those of us seeking fair value and reliable travel planning. The topic Laperuza raises is of much interest, so can you please respond to the reasons for the current policies that seem so unfriendly to your past and potential customers who want to commit to Viking as their river cruise choice? Perhaps we're missing something in your policies or process, so we'll be grateful for any clarifications--thanks!

ps- had a terrific So.France cruise with Viking Europe this past Spring!

Archived