Which Side To View Venice On Sailing Out?

firecapt25

It depends on what you want to see. St Marks, Grand Canal and the Doges Palace will be on the Port side as you leave (evening) and the Starboard side coming back (very early morning). St Georges is on the Starboard going out. We had a balcony on the stern and saw it all, so I would say that the Outdoors is as good as anywhere as long as you can get to somewhere near centre of the rail.

Have a look on here: http://www.marinetraffic.com/ais/default.aspx?level0=100

and you will be able to get a satellite view of the route out if you go to Venice.

Some of the photos I took on the sailout are here:

During our sail away in June, Gary, the Cruise director offered a sail away lecture from deck 13 by the Great Outdoors (the location was int he freestyle daily and announced a few times as well). He gives you a history of Venice and points out some of the major sites for the sail away. A good option if you have never sailed from Venice before.

Leaving from Barcelona to Venice, which would be the best side of the ship to be on for a view of all ports as you are arriving?

This is on the NCL Spirit. Port side (left) or Starboard side (right) We have a balcony.

Thanks

While I loved sailing out of Venice when the main part of the city was on the port side, sailing back in early on a Sunday morning was the best arrival ever. The city was quiet, and when the bells began to ring across the city, my heart sang. We had a Garden Villa suite on the Jade so it was easy to go up the private sundeck and bask in the experience.

Leaving from Barcelona to Venice, which would be the best side of the ship to be on for a view of all ports as you are arriving?

This is on the NCL Spirit. Port side (left) or Starboard side (right) We have a balcony.

Thanks

I was on the June 15 sailing from Barcelona, and the Starboard is the best side. We had our balcony cabin on that side but chose to go on the top deck on the stern to catch both sides and have the higher view. Either way, it is very beautiful. The captain announced the approach and advised everyone that it is the best sail in. Enjoy the Spirit. The staff are incredible. It was my first cruise and has me hooked.

I was on the June 15 sailing from Barcelona, and the Starboard is the best side. We had our balcony cabin on that side but chose to go on the top deck on the stern to catch both sides and have the higher view. Either way, it is very beautiful. The captain announced the approach and advised everyone that it is the best sail in. Enjoy the Spirit. The staff are incredible. It was my first cruise and has me hooked.

Great and thanks for your reply. We are on the starboard side (right) on the 10th middle, It will be great to watch coming into each port.

Where did you stay in Barcelona,we are coming in Friday afternoon and taking a 4 hour tour in the morning, hope we don't get on the ship too late.

We are also doing Naples, Florence and Rome with Romeinlimo.

What did you do for Provence (Toulon).

Got any Advice for us. So anxious!!

Did you do a Meet and Greet?

There is more to see on the Port side. I hope that you are able to spend a few days in Venice before boarding ship, it is an unbelievable city.

Do you think we should change our room to the Port side-- if any available. We love to sit on the balcony and watch the sites in the morning and as we depart?

Great and thanks for your reply. We are on the starboard side (right) on the 10th middle, It will be great to watch coming into each port.

Where did you stay in Barcelona,we are coming in Friday afternoon and taking a 4 hour tour in the morning, hope we don't get on the ship too late.

We are also doing Naples, Florence and Rome with Romeinlimo.

What did you do for Provence (Toulon).

Got any Advice for us. So anxious!!

Did you do a Meet and Greet?

Stayed at Hotel Jazz. I liked it, and would stay again. In Toulon, we just walked through the town, did some shopping. The excursions were not going anywhere I was interested in.

Being on the starboard side gives a great view in Toulon and Istanbul. If you do the NCL excursions in Turkey, be prepared for carpets in Istanbul and leather in Ephesus. There were people that did purchase carpets and the leather really was amazing. It is just hard to think about leather when the temp was 37C.

If you get the chance, do the Chef's table. It was great and the people we attended with were fantastic.

Enjoy your cruise. I never wanted to get off the ship.

Do you think we should change our room to the Port side-- if any available. We love to sit on the balcony and watch the sites in the morning and as we depart?

It may be worth it to you if you want to try to change cabins. There should be plenty of places on deck to view Venice as you sail away. I don't know which side would be better for you at any of the other ports of call.

Enjoy.

It depends on what you want to see. St Marks, Grand Canal and the Doges Palace will be on the Port side as you leave (evening) and the Starboard side coming back (very early morning). St Georges is on the Starboard going out. We had a balcony on the stern and saw it all, so I would say that the Outdoors is as good as anywhere as long as you can get to somewhere near centre of the rail.

The Great Outdoors is our favorite spot for sail aways. You can easily get a chance to view sights on both sides of the ship. It is usually less crowded than spots midship or forward.

Archived